Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm perplexed by the irrational fear some seem to have with driving in Mexico.
Los topes de velocidad.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scubadu
Completely agree, not to mention the additional freedom/flexibly having a car brings in this area. I've been renting cars and driving in Mexico for 25'ish years and I'm perplexed by the irrational fear some seem to have with driving in Mexico.

Regards
You are brave soul....I have driven many times in Mexico from the US border down to PV and then on to San Miguel. The last time was about 10 years ago....the dangers of driving in mexico are numerous.... bandits, corrupt cops, or worse. Even the tool roads are not exempt. Most gringos living in SMA who use to drive to the beach at Zihu (the closest) now fly. The roads are just not worth the risk.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by david55
You are brave soul....I have driven many times in Mexico from the US border down to PV and then on to San Miguel. The last time was about 10 years ago....the dangers of driving in mexico are numerous.... bandits, corrupt cops, or worse. Even the tool roads are not exempt. Most gringos living in SMA who use to drive to the beach at Zihu (the closest) now fly. The roads are just not worth the risk.
Let's limit the discussion to driving in Nayarit, not Mexico in general. To my knowledge road crime is not a risk on the roads in Puerto Vallarta/PuntaMita/Sayulita. Bumpy roads, reckless drivers and a risk of break-in in parked vehicles, yes - but not worse than many places in US/Europe. And a car does give you a lot of freedom if you stay in PuntaMita and want to spend time in Sayulita/SanPancho.

Also a little trick to renting cars while at StRegis. National has rental offices in both PVR and "downtown" Punta Mita (3 miles from StRegis). So if you can secure good one-way deals and don't intend to drive while at the StRegis, you can maybe optimize cost by doing one-ways from/to the airport and returning the car in between.

Last edited by raunow; Nov 26, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have insurance for my Car Hire from my Curve Card and checked and it is world wide with no exclusions. Only limit is the car has to be worth less than $35,000.
rental will be Ł100 due to my age (24). Still cheaper than the transfer. Also I’m fully insured for both health and life insurance. I don’t worry about where and how I travel. I have the mentality what will be will be.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
I have insurance for my Car Hire from my Curve Card and checked and it is world wide with no exclusions. Only limit is the car has to be worth less than $35,000..
But this is not liability insurance, right? Credit cards usually offer a loss/damage waiver for the rental vehicle, not liability. I believe in Mexico they will require you to purchase a basic liability coverage plan, but this won't cover much.

Here is a possible scenario that would concern me: You hit another car and damage that car and injure a passenger. You have no insurance to cover your liability. You are placed in a Mexican jail until you are able to make arrangements to pay for the damage and injury you caused.

Do not be foolhardy about this, there are very serious risks. You very likely need to include the cost of purchasing liability insurance from the rental company. I would not be concerned about renting a car in this region for security reasons; it is generally very safe IME. However, I don't think it will be as inexpensive as you predict.
Tanic likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Car insurance

We stayed at the St Regis Punta Mita a few years ago. Fantastic stay. And for the last few days we booked a car from National Car Rental in town, mainly to visit Sayulita and then drive back to PVR for departure.

We have full car insurance on our UK Centurion card, including liability insurance. By taking insurance out, the underlying car rental was something like $10/day (don’t remember exactly, but REALLY cheap).

You should have seen the stink they put up at the little agency downtown about removing the insurance. The woman didn’t speak English well and clearly this had never happened before. (To empathize, I’m sure many tourists come in claiming they have insurance on their credit card, when in fact they don’t have full coverage including liability.) It took us nearly 2 hours to get the car, with many phone calls, faxes to/from American Express in the UK (including a letter they had to write and fax stating that we did in fact have liability insurance for Mexico). It was a nightmare and they treated us very poorly and begrudgingly.

If your card or travel insurance does indeed provide full coverage, definitely come prepared with documentation. We had the official insurance documents from the Centurion Card with us — I thought this would be sufficient. But if I do this again, I will come with a letter on Amex letterhead, specifically addressing validity in Mexico.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; SWA A-List Preferred; Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, and Hertz Prez Circle
Any recommendations on airport transfer companies from PVR

I'm taking my wife and 2.5 year old to the St. Regis in February to celebrate her birthday. Would love this communities advice/wisdom on any of the following:
1.) Recommendations on airport transfer companies anyone has used that had good car seats for toddlers. We had a less than ideal experience with a company in Cabo.
2.) Does anyone have information on the person who runs the Kids Club? I've read that person also offers childcare after hours and I'd love to see if she's available.

We plan on staying at the hotel the entire time so any tips on enjoyable things to do with a toddler are also appreciated.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Josh15
I'm taking my wife and 2.5 year old to the St. Regis in February to celebrate her birthday. Would love this communities advice/wisdom on any of the following:
1.) Recommendations on airport transfer companies anyone has used that had good car seats for toddlers. We had a less than ideal experience with a company in Cabo.
2.) Does anyone have information on the person who runs the Kids Club? I've read that person also offers childcare after hours and I'd love to see if she's available.

We plan on staying at the hotel the entire time so any tips on enjoyable things to do with a toddler are also appreciated.

While not cheap, the hotel contracts with a luxury SUV operator that provides excellent service. Book directly with the hotel. They will meet you at PVR with a very nice car, with signs that say St. Regis, held by staff in hotel uniform. They will have water and sometimes chilled damp towels to help you cool off. Drivers are extremely professional and kind, and they will also stop along the way if you'd like to get anything. I think it's about $100 each way, and it is a very nice way to start a nice trip.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
While not cheap, the hotel contracts with a luxury SUV operator that provides excellent service. Book directly with the hotel. They will meet you at PVR with a very nice car, with signs that say St. Regis, held by staff in hotel uniform. They will have water and sometimes chilled damp towels to help you cool off. Drivers are extremely professional and kind, and they will also stop along the way if you'd like to get anything. I think it's about $100 each way, and it is a very nice way to start a nice trip.
I second this recommendation.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Hello! Does anyone have current info on breakfast offerings? My wife was reading that the Titanium benefit was reduced to continental only recently. Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Hello! Does anyone have current info on breakfast offerings? My wife was reading that the Titanium benefit was reduced to continental only recently. Thanks
yes. It used to be full buffet and now only a small continental buffet which is a different section of buffet. Includes a few pastries and coffee
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
You can get the full buffet for a significant $$ discount with platinum or greater status. Not free, but we’ll worth it IMO
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:17 pm

We were there over Thanksgiving and it is indeed cold portion of the buffet only. A material devaluation vs pre-Bonvoy full buffet. I fully get that the hotel is within its right, both pre- and post-Bonvoy to only offer the continental, and had it always been this way, i probably wouldn't be annoyed. But the change did leave a bad taste in my mouth vs prior stay.

You receive a "Bonvoy elite" menu when you sit down that informs you what parts of the buffet are complimentary. Basically all the cold items except for the cold cuts. Much more substantial than "a few pastries and coffee" as there was plenty of fresh fruit, yoghurts, and breads as well as pastries (the tomato focaccia was outstanding). Also your choice of juice as well as the coffee. The hot portion of the buffet includes a variety of US and mexican dishes for self serve as well as an omlette and waffle station and another station that runs specials such as breakfast tacos, chilaquiles, etc. The buyup to the full buffet was $15 per person.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by boolean64
We were there over Thanksgiving and it is indeed cold portion of the buffet only. A material devaluation vs pre-Bonvoy full buffet. I fully get that the hotel is within its right, both pre- and post-Bonvoy to only offer the continental, and had it always been this way, i probably wouldn't be annoyed. But the change did leave a bad taste in my mouth vs prior stay.

You receive a "Bonvoy elite" menu when you sit down that informs you what parts of the buffet are complimentary. Basically all the cold items except for the cold cuts. Much more substantial than "a few pastries and coffee" as there was plenty of fresh fruit, yoghurts, and breads as well as pastries (the tomato focaccia was outstanding). Also your choice of juice as well as the coffee. The hot portion of the buffet includes a variety of US and mexican dishes for self serve as well as an omlette and waffle station and another station that runs specials such as breakfast tacos, chilaquiles, etc. The buyup to the full buffet was $15 per person.
Thanks, The buy up info is helpful. We were at the StR Maldives over the Summer-they are still full breakfast.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was here first week of December. And the free breakfast was the FULL breakfast buffet. Not just the continental breakfast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.