Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am Marriott / SPG Platinum and have booked a 10 night stay at this property a few weeks before Christmas.

This was booked into a standard room at 240k for every 5 nights (480 total)

I was also able to book a Deluxe Ocean Front Suite with Jacuzzi for my initial 5 nights for 490k points for the start of my stay.

I am not sure if the Double points value is worth it for the suites, I had some questions to help me decide best option:

1. Does the hotel upgrade Platinum's to an Ocean Front Suite?
2. Am I likely to keep this same room for the whole of my stay?
3. Not sure If I will get an SNA this year until accounts are merged, does an SNA upgrade to this same room type?
4. Upgrade Offers - What are they like at check-in?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:37 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal
I am Marriott / SPG Platinum and have booked a 10 night stay at this property a few weeks before Christmas.

This was booked into a standard room at 240k for every 5 nights (480 total)

I was also able to book a Deluxe Ocean Front Suite with Jacuzzi for my initial 5 nights for 490k points for the start of my stay.

I am not sure if the Double points value is worth it for the suites, I had some questions to help me decide best option:

1. Does the hotel upgrade Platinum's to an Ocean Front Suite?
2. Am I likely to keep this same room for the whole of my stay?
3. Not sure If I will get an SNA this year until accounts are merged, does an SNA upgrade to this same room type?
4. Upgrade Offers - What are they like at check-in?
You've done well!

Your slightly more than doubling your first 5 nights to get the Oceanfront suite with jacuzzi is quite a lucky steal. Usually, doubling the points only gets you into the regular junior suite or regular deluxe suite. Those aren't oceanfront. (SNAs also only put you into those 2 suite categories, not the oceanfront categories or those with jacuzzis.)

Plats don't usually get upgraded to oceanfront suites--deluxe or junior. SNAs don't put you into oceanfront, either, as I recall.

To specifically answer your questions:

1. No.
2. No, not likely, not if you didn't use more points for the entire stay. But you could luck out...
3. No, SNAs upgrade to junior suites and deluxe suites (not oceanfront).
4. Depends on occupancy

FWIW, our first stay here in Nov 2015 over Thanksgiving (100% occupancy as it turned out) was for 5 nights in an award entry room upgraded on arrival to a deluxe suite (behind the adults only pool area). It's a very spacious suite, and we loved our stay despite being not oceanfront. Our applied SNAs didn't clear, yet we arrived and were upgraded anyway (saving me the 5 SNAs to use another time). Perks of being an Ambassador level guest as it were.

FWIW, our second stay here in Jan 2018 was for 5 nights in an award deluxe suite (booked through a SPG promo for a 35% savings on double point suites). I negotiated in advance with the hotel for a significant but fair cash upgrade to the Luxury One Bedroom Villa with Private Pool (which are all oceanfront). Being oceanfront was fabulous, but we agreed that there's nothing wrong with not being oceanfront. We loved having the private pool (as you will enjoy the private jacuzzi, I'm sure). But being oceanfront also means a lack of privacy, as everyone walking by on the beach (which happens a lot) can see into your space.

This is a truly impressive property. It's our favorite in Punta Mita and all of Mexico thus far, and we'd previously been to the Four Seasons. We definitely prefer the St Regis. We love the ease of getting there, the resort/beautiful area, the incredible food/beverage, the larger property with 3 massive pool areas, including the 1 adults only massive pool area. the incredible butler service, the overall service, and the proximity to the other nice resorts in the area (we've dined at the FS, the W, and Imanta, as well as the Punta Mita resort restaurants and a few of those in town).

You'll have a fabulous stay regardless!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by bhrubin
You've done well!

Your slightly more than doubling your first 5 nights to get the Oceanfront suite with jacuzzi is quite a lucky steal. Usually, doubling the points only gets you into the regular junior suite or regular deluxe suite. Those aren't oceanfront. (SNAs also only put you into those 2 suite categories, not the oceanfront categories or those with jacuzzis.)

Plats don't usually get upgraded to oceanfront suites--deluxe or junior. SNAs don't put you into oceanfront, either, as I recall.

To specifically answer your questions:

1. No.
2. No, not likely, not if you didn't use more points for the entire stay. But you could luck out...
3. No, SNAs upgrade to junior suites and deluxe suites (not oceanfront).
4. Depends on occupancy

FWIW, our first stay here in Nov 2015 over Thanksgiving (100% occupancy as it turned out) was for 5 nights in an award entry room upgraded on arrival to a deluxe suite (behind the adults only pool area). It's a very spacious suite, and we loved our stay despite being not oceanfront. Our applied SNAs didn't clear, yet we arrived and were upgraded anyway (saving me the 5 SNAs to use another time). Perks of being an Ambassador level guest as it were.

FWIW, our second stay here in Jan 2018 was for 5 nights in an award deluxe suite (booked through a SPG promo for a 35% savings on double point suites). I negotiated in advance with the hotel for a significant but fair cash upgrade to the Luxury One Bedroom Villa with Private Pool (which are all oceanfront). Being oceanfront was fabulous, but we agreed that there's nothing wrong with not being oceanfront. We loved having the private pool (as you will enjoy the private jacuzzi, I'm sure). But being oceanfront also means a lack of privacy, as everyone walking by on the beach (which happens a lot) can see into your space.

This is a truly impressive property. It's our favorite in Punta Mita and all of Mexico thus far, and we'd previously been to the Four Seasons. We definitely prefer the St Regis. We love the ease of getting there, the resort/beautiful area, the incredible food/beverage, the larger property with 3 massive pool areas, including the 1 adults only massive pool area. the incredible butler service, the overall service, and the proximity to the other nice resorts in the area (we've dined at the FS, the W, and Imanta, as well as the Punta Mita resort restaurants and a few of those in town).

You'll have a fabulous stay regardless!
Thanks for replying back so quickly, I am happy to hear that I received decent value by securing this suite for my stay in advance.

How much was the cost of your upgrade from a suite to Villa? Was it worth it?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by navatwal
Thanks for replying back so quickly, I am happy to hear that I received decent value by securing this suite for my stay in advance.

How much was the cost of your upgrade from a suite to Villa? Was it worth it?
Let's just say that our cash upgrade fee was in the 4 digits per night. Considering the One Bedroom Luxury Villa with Private Pool usually has a rate in the $3500/night range, we found the fee to be fair and reasonable. We'd do it again in a heartbeat. We've even talked about it being worth it for special occasions to pay the full rate.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We've been twice, and booked to go again in February. Upgraded on SNA's the first time, and used the same 35% off promo mentioned above to directly book a suite last year. Both times we were closer to the adults pool. Year 1 we overlooked the golf course with the ocean in the distance, and last time we faced into the pool. The golf course view felt more private, but was a bit further walk to get places. I echo the comments about the villas, I'd love the extra space but the private pool is dedicated, but not private.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:15 am

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon here in mid-November. Couple questions for those of you who have experience here:

1. I was able to book 5 nights on points post-merger, so we are booked in the base room. Being Gold, I have no expectations of significant upgrades and would be happy as booked. Based on my research I think we would prefer the side of the rest near the adults-only pool and would like to request a room over there, and some sort of enhanced/ocean view if possible. Is it worth emailing the concierge ahead of time with these requests, or is it a waste of time and I should just ask once we arrive? If so, it is just the generic concierge email ([email protected]), or is there a better address?

2. Any suggestions for restaurants both on property and in town? I think Sufi and Si Senor are currently on the list. I am not sure Carolina is for us. Are Sea Breeze or Las Marietas worth a dinner, or are we better off heading into town other nights as well? The convenience of being on site is not necessarily a factor if there are better options a short distance away. I imagine most lunches will be at Mita Mary.

3. We have discussed possibly a half-day trip to Sayulita or somewhere else outside of Punta Mita. Any other destinations we should consider? We have been to other locations in Mexico, but never the greater PVR-region. We are most likely not going to rent a car, so would be reliant on car services/cabs.

Anything else to think about or consider? Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon here in mid-November. Couple questions for those of you who have experience here:

1. I was able to book 5 nights on points post-merger, so we are booked in the base room. Being Gold, I have no expectations of significant upgrades and would be happy as booked. Based on my research I think we would prefer the side of the rest near the adults-only pool and would like to request a room over there, and some sort of enhanced/ocean view if possible. Is it worth emailing the concierge ahead of time with these requests, or is it a waste of time and I should just ask once we arrive? If so, it is just the generic concierge email ([email protected]), or is there a better address?

They won't assign rooms until the night before, so I would suggest calling the day before to request this, but an email won't hurt either. And yes, this is the best area to be for an adult couple, very quiet. You do have to walk father to the restaurants, etc, but the walk is lovely.

2. Any suggestions for restaurants both on property and in town? I think Sufi and Si Senor are currently on the list. I am not sure Carolina is for us. Are Sea Breeze or Las Marietas worth a dinner, or are we better off heading into town other nights as well? The convenience of being on site is not necessarily a factor if there are better options a short distance away. I imagine most lunches will be at Mita Mary.

Sufi is great, the best off property option IMO. The food is good, and the seating is all on a lovely deck right by the water with nice views. Tell the hotel you are going and they may drive you over in a golf cart if they have time. I would not bother with Sea Breeze for anything other than breakfast or lunch. I actually love a sunset dinner at Mita Mary--make a reservation. In town Si Senor is good, as is Tuna Blanca (same owner as Cafe Des Artistes in PV). We also liked Carolina, but you have to be into high end experimental dining.

3. We have discussed possibly a half-day trip to Sayulita or somewhere else outside of Punta Mita. Any other destinations we should consider? We have been to other locations in Mexico, but never the greater PVR-region. We are most likely not going to rent a car, so would be reliant on car services/cabs.

Sayulita is darling and worth the short trip. It's also the best place for shopping--don't buy any gifts in Punta Mita, it is almost all very over priced. Others have enjoyed the boat ride & snorkeling to the island, though we've never done this. PV is also worth exploring, but a bit far for a day trip IMO (1 hour or so each way) and if you go on your way to or from airport you will have luggage which would be annoying. If you can find a place to stash your luggage though, I'd reccomend exploring the Zona Romantica in PV for a half day--and Cafe Des Artistes is great, as is La Palapa.

Anything else to think about or consider? Thanks everyone!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum, National Executive
Hi all --

I apologize if I missed a recent post about this.

1) I'm interested in setting up the hotel sponsored airport transfer -- is calling the best way? or could someone here provide an email I could use to book the transfer?

2) I'd like to book a spa treatment for my wife while we're there -- basically same question as above, is calling the only way? or is there a general manager email I could utilize to book the reservation.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by blackavar
Hi all --

I apologize if I missed a recent post about this.

1) I'm interested in setting up the hotel sponsored airport transfer -- is calling the best way? or could someone here provide an email I could use to book the transfer?

2) I'd like to book a spa treatment for my wife while we're there -- basically same question as above, is calling the only way? or is there a general manager email I could utilize to book the reservation.

Thanks for all your help!

Try this: [email protected]
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
Anyone can compare the St Regis Punta Mita to the St Regis Bahia Beach?

I have been to the St Regis Punta Mita many times and I love it. But now the one in Bahia Beach is reopening and have been renovated, I am wondering if I should try it or play it safe and go back to Punta Mita.

Any input is appreciated, thanks
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Eagle_traveler

I have been to the St Regis Punta Mita many times and I love it. But now the one in Bahia Beach is reopening and have been renovated, I am wondering if I should try it or play it safe and go back to Punta Mita.

It's been five years since I have been to the St Regis Bahia Beach. But hands down we loved Punta Mita more. To be fair, the visit to bahia beach was a short visit after 5 days at the W vieques and not the focus of our trip so we may not have taken advantage of all Bahia Beach has to offer. But they are pretty different properties and for me Punta Mita was better for the following reasons

1. Better vibe overall. Bahia Beach seemed stuffier and older whereas punta mita felt more energetic and fun
2. Loved loved loved Mita Marys. To my knowledge, nothing like that at BB. Lunch is going to be poolside bar food vs a constant snacking on cerveza and freshly grilled fish tacos on the beach
3. Thought Carolina was way better than Fern (although going to carolina more than once is a tall order whereas Fern could probably be repeated)
4. Got the sense through a very cursory investigation that there isn't much off property at BB. Nothing like being able to go to Sufi or Si Senor. That being said, walking around old san juan is better and closer (30-40 minutes?) than heading into PVR or even Sayulita

On the other side of the ledger, the rooms at BB (especially the bathrooms) felt bigger. And breakfast is sit down at Fern vs the buffet at Punta Mita. Although if memory serves there was a pretty low spending limit at Fern per the "continental breakfast" nonsense pre-merger. So we had to pay out of pocket for part of the breakfast (at least this is how it was 5 years ago) and for multiple days, the menu may get tiring.

In isolation, BB is a great resort with a high end hard product, good pool, etc. But it is very different, IMHO, so don't expect a similar experience to punta mita. Punta Mita is one of my favorite properties in the entire system and can't wait to go back. I doubt we will go back to BB as its just not what we are looking for on a trip like that.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:23 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Eagle_traveler

You can find my 2 reviews for StR Punta Mita (Nov 2015 and Jan 2018) and my 1 review for StR Bahia Beach (Feb 2017). I love them both. We are going back to StR Bahia Beach in Feb 2019, as well. I am looking forward to seeing the refurbishment at Bahia Beach.

The ONLY disadvantage for Bahia Beach for me is the lack of an adults-only pool. But the beach is much nicer.
Eagle_traveler likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 28, 2018 at 10:48 am
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:27 am

I love the Punta Mita so so much. My only ongoing issue, and we've had this issue on each stay, has been the noise issue from connecting rooms. I just really wish they would fix this.
karenkay and Eagle_traveler like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by boolean64
It's been five years since I have been to the St Regis Bahia Beach. But hands down we loved Punta Mita more. To be fair, the visit to bahia beach was a short visit after 5 days at the W vieques and not the focus of our trip so we may not have taken advantage of all Bahia Beach has to offer. But they are pretty different properties and for me Punta Mita was better for the following reasons

1. Better vibe overall. Bahia Beach seemed stuffier and older whereas punta mita felt more energetic and fun
2. Loved loved loved Mita Marys. To my knowledge, nothing like that at BB. Lunch is going to be poolside bar food vs a constant snacking on cerveza and freshly grilled fish tacos on the beach
3. Thought Carolina was way better than Fern (although going to carolina more than once is a tall order whereas Fern could probably be repeated)
4. Got the sense through a very cursory investigation that there isn't much off property at BB. Nothing like being able to go to Sufi or Si Senor. That being said, walking around old san juan is better and closer (30-40 minutes?) than heading into PVR or even Sayulita

On the other side of the ledger, the rooms at BB (especially the bathrooms) felt bigger. And breakfast is sit down at Fern vs the buffet at Punta Mita. Although if memory serves there was a pretty low spending limit at Fern per the "continental breakfast" nonsense pre-merger. So we had to pay out of pocket for part of the breakfast (at least this is how it was 5 years ago) and for multiple days, the menu may get tiring.

In isolation, BB is a great resort with a high end hard product, good pool, etc. But it is very different, IMHO, so don't expect a similar experience to punta mita. Punta Mita is one of my favorite properties in the entire system and can't wait to go back. I doubt we will go back to BB as its just not what we are looking for on a trip like that.
Thanks, this confirms what I was thinking, so I think I will stick with Punta Mita for now..
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

You can find my 2 reviews for StR Punta Mita (Nov 2015 and Jan 2018) and my 1 review for StR Bahia Beach (Feb 2017). I love them both. We are going back to StR Bahia Beach in Feb 2019, as well. I am looking forward to seeing the refurbishment at Bahia Beach.

The ONLY disadvantage for Bahia Beach for me is the lack of an adults-only pool. But the beach is much nicer.
Thanks, nice reviews!!! I do love the adult pool at Punta Mita, always calm and plenty of chairs!
jdrtravel and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.