Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by raunow
I couldnt agree more, but with the official Family plan allowing up to 3 adults and 2 children in the room (if I read it correctly), I dont find asking for experiences with staying more than two in the room attempting to fill it with “lots of people”. Especially not with room sizes starting at 600 sq feet.
I couldn't find anything about the "family plan" referenced here on the hotel website. I have booked a larger suite and plan to travel with my partner, and our toddler and infant. Looking for some confirmation this will be fine.

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I've stayed here with a family of four (toddler and infant) in a deluxe suite and junior suite. IMO the junior suite and the standard room are big enough for two adults and two small children. The rooms are big, but about half that space is the bathroom, so the room itself is not as big as one might think looking at square footage. Not sure whether five is allowed, but I would think if you had a two queen room plus a crib, it would work fine but would feel more like a typical two queen room at a city hotel since so much of the space is the bathroom. Note that the bathroom is plenty big to fit an infant crib and that's what we've done each time with our infant.
Did you have to pre-arrange this with the hotel? Were there any issues? Did they have a crib or did you bring your own?

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:32 pm

Is there a slightly less expensive option rather than hotel SUV?

Is there a suggestion for one of the taxi companies inside the airport or does anyone have a car and driver they trust?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1

Is there a suggestion for one of the taxi companies inside the airport or does anyone have a car and driver they trust?
You can use Uber.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

In this situation, I just recommend spending the money on the hotel transfer as it's just part of the experience. They will greet you at the airport with chilled towels for your face and water and beer. And you will be in a very comfortable luxury vehicle. You're not going to the St. Regis to save money, you're going to have a totally indulgent experience. Also, if you hit traffic the ride can be well over an hour, and you really don't want to be in some of those PV taxis for that long.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
In this situation, I just recommend spending the money on the hotel transfer as it's just part of the experience. They will greet you at the airport with chilled towels for your face and water and beer. And you will be in a very comfortable luxury vehicle. You're not going to the St. Regis to save money, you're going to have a totally indulgent experience. Also, if you hit traffic the ride can be well over an hour, and you really don't want to be in some of those PV taxis for that long.
I did this and didn't think that it was that great. If I went there again, I'd opt for Uber.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I did this and didn't think that it was that great. If I went there again, I'd opt for Uber.
I forget that Uber is available there now, it was not for the longest time. Is there black car service?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:19 am

We found renting a car and driving to be just fine. IIRC rental car parking lots are walking distance from the terminal, the roads are well travelled and felt safe. And we could go to Sayulita whenever we wanted without any pre-planning. I was just looking last night and hertz was $20 a day plus taxes and fees for a mid-size car.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by boolean64
I couldn't find anything about the "family plan" referenced here on the hotel website. I have booked a larger suite and plan to travel with my partner, and our toddler and infant. Looking for some confirmation this will be fine.

Did you have to pre-arrange this with the hotel? Were there any issues? Did they have a crib or did you bring your own?

Thanks!
We let them know ahead of time that we would need a crib, and one was already placed in our room when we got there.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I forget that Uber is available there now, it was not for the longest time. Is there black car service?
Unfortunately, they only have UberX which makes me a bit weary of using it in Mexico. Would love to have them get the black car service!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:21 pm

I don't remember what the hotel charges, but Vallarta Rides is $100-120 each way. That's for a suburban. They may have cheaper, smaller vehicles options. I used them a couple weeks ago and have used them previously. I also used the St Regis shuttle last year. There is no difference in the quality of service and every driver knows where Punta Mita and the St Regis is so it's not like a secret spot only the house driver can easily get you to … Renting a car was mentioned above and could also be an option, but that really depends on what you plan to do while there and you're comfort level. If you're not leaving Punta Mita it's not necessary. If you only plan to make one day trip there is a National in Punta Mita and you can just grab a car for the day.

As for Uber, I'm uneasy on this in Mexico. I have repeatedly heard how strong the taxi mafia is in Mexico. I don't need to get attacked on vacation because I'm seen as supporting a competitive business. I did open my Uber app a couple times when I was down there early their month just to see how active it is, and there were never any available cars in Punta Mita. Obviously from the airport may be a different story ...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:18 pm

Not to go too far off topic, but i wouldn't make generalizations about Uber in "mexico." Maybe things have changed but i was in mexico city a few times last year and uber was excellent service, plentiful, and safe. Didn't get any taxi mafia vibe at all in the DF.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:55 pm

An earlier poster said he drove without any issues.
I can get an Alamo with all the insurance for $70.
I've driven from Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen and felt fine.
For someone who has been to both parts of Mexico, are the roads similar between PVR and the St. Regis?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by boolean64
Not to go too far off topic, but i wouldn't make generalizations about Uber in "mexico." Maybe things have changed but i was in mexico city a few times last year and uber was excellent service, plentiful, and safe. Didn't get any taxi mafia vibe at all in the DF.

This has been my experience as well. Uber black car in CDMX was cheap, quick, reliable and great service. We used it exclusively there.

For the reasons others stated, I have avoided Uber in PV and will continue to do so for now, at least until they offer black car and it can legally pickup pax at the airport. Now that I am thinking about it, I also remember logging into Uber from the St. Regis and there were no cars available, so you'd need another option to get back in any case. This was in Nov 2018.

Yes, the hotel car service is over priced, but to me it is worth it for the creature comforts and peace of mind. I like that they have really nice luxury SUV's, with friendly english speaking drivers and vehicles that are properly licensed to pick up hotel pax right on the airport property.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:30 pm

I'm a lifetime Platinum Premier who stayed here on points.
I was upgraded from the basic garden view to an ocean view.
They had beachfront and higher but no further upgrade.
The SUV service to the airport was nice.
We had room service dinner and it was okay. The presentation was a bit lacking for a St. Regis and more like a Marriott.
I took breakfast as the amenity and I thought it too was just okay. I've seen better breakfasts at other resorts in Mexico - such as the Fairmont Mayakoba.
Service was not too attentive - though friendly. For example no spoon was ever offered for yogurt and coffee not refilled when I had to leave the table to take a phone call. Picky - yes - but these are things one expects the staff to notice at a 5 star property.
Lunch at Mita Mary was a highlight. The tuna tostada and green fish ceviche were excellent - incredibly fresh.
Denied late check out past 1pm due to supposed high occupancy but they were selling every category for the night we were going to leave.
I also felt annoyed by how often they called the room on day of departure - 3 times. Once to confirm my 1pm check out, a second time to confirm I was actually checking out that day and a third time to ask if they could send someone to get my luggage at 1pm. At that point they got me out of the shower so I was a bit annoyed and they showed up a few minutes before 1pm.
Maybe I was spoiled by the St. Regis Bali!
The staff was very friendly and helpful. I do want to emphasize that.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
We are annual travelers to the PVR area, so I follow the news there. There have been some very recent issues (ie. this month) for Uber drivers - such as cars getting impounded. Puerto Vallarta itself is in Jalisco, Punta Mita in Nayarit, so I don't know if it is a state, city or federal issue. The Uber drivers still on the road have been charging surge pricing and there are protests going on between the taxi driver and Uber drivers. While I have used Uber in the PV area, if I happened to be there right now - I would likely stick to a taxi or hotel-arranged car service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.