Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:59 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Travelling here on Monday.

Any suggestions on how to book the airport transfer? Should I call the hotel? Would it be better to just take Uber?

How do we book tours/excursions? With our butler?
I've emailed the concierge team for everything and they've been very responsive. Email is [email protected].

We've booked the private airport transfer for MX$2180 arrival and MX$1700 return. It's a good 45 min ride to the resort so we enjoy the comfort of the bigger nicer SUVs. I'm sure Uber would work fine, too, but it may be a bit chaotic at the airport with all the vendors trying to sell you and all the taxis trying to woo you.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. Has anyone been on the island excursion before? Would you recommend it?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks, just called, they said they would email me by today the form I need to have filled out. Am a bit concerned...will try to email the contact you gave above too.
Hmm.. I don't remember a form, and I was there 6 months ago.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Thanks for the advice. Has anyone been on the island excursion before? Would you recommend it?
We are booked for the private catamaran with some friends to the island during our stay in Jan 2018. We and a friend will be diving, while our other friends do some snorkeling.

If you go, I'd love to hear what you think!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Hmm.. I don't remember a form, and I was there 6 months ago.
There is no form. We have to pay for airport transfers by credit card or cash. It doesn't get added to the hotel bill.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
There is no form. We have to pay for airport transfers by credit card or cash. It doesn't get added to the hotel bill.
That's what I thought. I think that ZBigFam should maybe call back and speak to someone else. When I've done this in the past, I've just called and they've confirmed my airport transfer over the phone.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
That's what I thought. I think that ZBigFam should maybe call back and speak to someone else. When I've done this in the past, I've just called and they've confirmed my airport transfer over the phone.
I ended up emailing them as well as calling them. In my email I gave them my flight details and arrival time, they responded with a price quote saying they needed my confirmation. Once I confirmed they sent me a detailed itinerary along with instructions on how to reach the driver.

They also asked me about any special needs or allergens that we may have.

We are interested in the island tour and are definitely taking it. Will let you know how it goes.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:13 am

Thanks all for the info thus far. I have booked a beachfront deluxe room, is it truly on/near the beach?

As a plat, have people received upgrades beyond or are those few and far between? Assume we get the breakfast buffet as our benefit?

Lastly, the punta mita expedition tour costs 132 (group) with a private experience costing 924 or 1310 on a catamaran. We plan on taking the group option, we really like that we can cancel it within 24 hours notice.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:21 am

Thanks all for the info thus far. I have booked a beachfront deluxe room, is it truly on/near the beach?
The entire property is beachfront. Some rooms are a little more beachfront than others but I don't really think there is a bad room on the property, I would not be worried. The big issue I've had, as I've reported upthread, is noise from neighbors in rooms with connecting doors. Suggest you request to avoid this.

Edited to add: However, I think (though am not totally sure) that all suites on the property are connecting rooms, so if you get upgraded, you will have one. When I complained, they put some type of foam padding between the two doors. This helped, but did not fully solve the issue.

As a plat, have people received upgrades beyond or are those few and far between? Assume we get the breakfast buffet as our benefit?

I've been upgraded both times I've stayed. Once to a junior suite and once to the next one up. One upgrade was a plat upgrade and one was a SNA.

The breakfast is a fantastic benefit, one of the best platinum breakfasts in the system. Not to be missed.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Oct 29, 2017 at 7:27 pm
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

I agree, there really aren't bad rooms here. Almost everywhere includes a view. Beachfront rooms truly are located right up at the beach, so you'll have very nice views.

Our deluxe suite upgrade back in 2015 was as far back as you can get, even behind the pool and on the first floor...and we still had this very nice view:

Name:  IMG_0398.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  498.0 KB

We've been only once before in 2015, we got upgraded over the sold out Thanksgiving week from an entry level award room to a deluxe suite. Not too shabby. You can't ever be guaranteed a good upgrade, though, so don't count on it but hope for the best. They certainly try to please Plats here, and they certainly know how to treat Plat100s here. Breakfast is included, of course.

Lastly, the punta mita expedition tour costs 132 (group) with a private experience costing 924 or 1310 on a catamaran. We plan on taking the group option, we really like that we can cancel it within 24 hours notice.
Yes, we are doing the private catamaran excursion with diving and snorkeling for 4 hrs. That we can cancel without penalty up to 24 hrs in advance made us more secure that we can get good weather and water conditions for the investment. Very fair and generous.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:43 am

Thanks everyone! Anyone that has taken the excursion do you know if it let's you hike on the marietas isalnd or is it just snorkeling etc?

Heard back from the concierge on this, no hiking on the island is allowed since it's a UNESCO site.

Please help a newbie out on the tipping ettiquette. Do we tip the butler's? If so how much? Dollars or pesos? Really unfamiliar so your wisdom is appreciated!

Last edited by ZBigFam; Oct 29, 2017 at 10:28 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:05 pm

Staying here now, thanks for all the help everyone. My first impressions:

1. The hotel arranged transfer is not worth it - they picked us up in a mercedes mini van...it was a mercedes but still a minivan...
2. No upgrade for a platinum member despite the hotel having such low occupancy.
3. The mary boat resto is very good, octopus taco is not to be missed.

Will be taking a marine safari on Thursday, let me know if i can answer any questions for you.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Staying here now, thanks for all the help everyone. My first impressions:

1. The hotel arranged transfer is not worth it - they picked us up in a mercedes mini van...it was a mercedes but still a minivan...
2. No upgrade for a platinum member despite the hotel having such low occupancy.
3. The mary boat resto is very good, octopus taco is not to be missed.

Will be taking a marine safari on Thursday, let me know if i can answer any questions for you.
It looks like for the next 4-5 nights there are no junior suites or deluxe suites available, actually. Deluxe ocean view rooms are the best category available even on spg.com, FWIW.

It will be interesting to see what you think of a regular taxi transfer back to the airport. They aren't so comfortable.

Enjoy yourself. Definitely try Carolina one night if you can!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
It looks like for the next 4-5 nights there are no junior suites or deluxe suites available, actually. Deluxe ocean view rooms are the best category available even on spg.com, FWIW.

It will be interesting to see what you think of a regular taxi transfer back to the airport. They aren't so comfortable.

Enjoy yourself. Definitely try Carolina one night if you can!
Will be eating at Carolina on Thursday, apparently they are closed Wednesdays. We are going for their 11 course tasting menu, apparently they have a new chef.

Also, plan on still sticking with the prearranged hotel transfer back to the airport. I thought once booked it was fully committed.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:53 pm

Will be eating at Carolina on Thursday, apparently they are closed Wednesdays. We are going for their 11 course tasting menu, apparently they have a new chef.

Also, plan on still sticking with the prearranged hotel transfer back to the airport. I thought once booked it was fully committed.
We met the new chef on his second or third night on the job while we were last there--really nice guy, and his food was really wonderful. Highly suggest that you sit outside overlooking the water.

For the taxi return, yes, I'm sure you would be able to get out of it, but I think you will be really missing that mini-van when you are in the back of a regular taxi. For example, many of the regular taxis don't have a/c. Or working seat belts. That being said, I've never seen them use anything other than a Lincoln Navigator. Perhaps they were really busy and they ended up using the mini van? Or do you have a lot of people traveling with you?
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.