Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by Fripp
7 hotel. It is not at that level, and does not compare to most category 7 Marriot hotels.
It has to do with demand for MR stays. Not comparisons with other hotels.

To the best of my understanding it could be the most basic, no-frills FI or TPS out there, and if it meets the demand criteria, it most definitely is a cat 7.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
product integrity is lessened

. . . It has to do with demand for MR stays. Not comparisons with other hotels . . . if it meets the demand criteria, it most definitely is a cat 7. . .

Yes, awards demand is the big factor. But if MR demand is the only factor, then Marriott is foolish as this damages the branding concept of a category 7 property. Lets face it, a JW Marriott is a category 7 for reasons other than awards demand and guests have legitimate expectations and Marriott has to uphold product integrity.

Once again, the London Marble Arch remains one of my favorite London properties for reasons cited in my OP. But it's a solid category 6, no more, no less and I'm gonna let Marriott know what I think about all of this as I don't want to travel elsewhere in the Marriott universe and get flumoxed by misleading category criteria when I redeem my MR for an awards stay.

Truth is, that Marriott can tinker with awards capacity controls or they can push anytime stays at double points if awards requests are so high for Marble Arch. The market can speak in several different tongues.

Socrates, any thoguhts or insights?

Barry
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cyberdad
as stated previously, room rates have little, if any, bearing on cat ratings.
The original post and your twice repetition of it doesn't make that statement true. How about some facts or evidence to support this counter-intuitive thesis? What are the rack rates at the three cheapest Cat 7 hotels? At the three most expensive Cat 1s?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by drtdk
The original post and your twice repetition of it doesn't make that statement true. How about some facts or evidence to support this counter-intuitive thesis?
I've been told this on two seperate occasions over the past couple of years by supervisors at Guest Services on the 800 number and also twice seperately by Managers at individual FS hotels. Demand is the main factor determining MR categories.

You don't have to accept that because I say it. But let me put it this way....

I've known one of the individuals involved for a number of years. Even though I'm naturally a bit of a skeptic, I tend to believe what my friend tells me....especially when three other individuals say exactly the same thing!

BTW, (and I don't mean this in a confrontational way), how is my "thesis" counter-intuitive? I'm not in the thesis business. I'm not nearly smart enough.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
If one were to compare room rates to category levels, I think you'll find a pretty strong positive correlation.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Write letters folks-there seems to be a real disconnect with MR and Bill Marriotts office these days so Make sure the boss gets a letter also.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
There is not a list of criteria that states a property should have x number of amenities and o number of ambiance.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:15 pm

I'm writing tonight from the Marriott Anaheim suites...a fine property.

To further illustrate that MR categories have no relationship whatsoever to room rates, I did a quickie check on the Marriott website. I compared this hotel with the Irvine Marriott about fifteen minutes away, which I consider to be every bit as good, if not better. (Two restaurants and a Sushi Bar at Irvine versus just one here, flat screen TVs in Irvine versus old SDTVs here, etc.)

Looking at the rack rates for later this week, March 14 (a typical Wednesday of a typical week). The rack rate here in Anaheim is less than half the Irvine Marriott rack rate. In my experiences, this is what's normally the case. Yet, Anaheim Suites is a cat 5....while the twice as expensive Irvine Marriott is a cat 4. The cat 4 status of the Irvine Mariott, is in fact, the same as the Anaheim Maingate Fairfield Inn. The Anaheim FI, IMHO, is a below average FI. (No breakfast, for example.)

The reason for the difference in categories is demand for reward stays. The Irvine property is situated amidst several large office and commercial complexes and a few blocks away from the Orange County Airport. Anaheim Suites is about a mile from Disneyland (while the FI maingate is across the street from Disneyland...and family/kid friendly).

If I'm looking to cash in my MR points, I'm far more inclined to want to be near a major tourist attraction than in the midst of a bunch of office high rises!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I booked a rewars stay for this fall at Marble Arch a couple of months ago, but didn't order the certificate yet. Am I going to ahve tog et a cat 7 certificate now? If that si the case are there better Marriott's to stay at in London.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Location, location, location!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Grosvenor House not listed on Marriott site

I have stayed there many times and was hoping to book for April 21 weekend. Any idea what the issue is?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by cyberdad
County Hall: Near all the sightseeing attractions. Pubs and restaurants nearby but not much of a neighborhood or local feel. If pure sightseeing is what you want and time is limited, this is a good choice. If you want to get more of a feel for the city and its nightlife, this probably isn't a good choice.
This is the only one I stayed at and it suited me perfectly. I wanted to be able to go sight seeing without a long walk, but wanted to be able to return to a relatively quiet location at night. County Hall fit the bill quite well. I'd highly recommend it if you're not into nightlife right outside your door.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:13 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AA53
I have stayed there many times and was hoping to book for April 21 weekend. Any idea what the issue is?
I had no problem finding it online. Now I did check and it looks like it is booked up the night of April 21st, but I did see availability for April 22nd.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Thanks to you all. I booked the Renaissance CC based on some of the comments here. I appreciate the help. I just like the Grosvenor Square area but the proximity is fine with me. It is also good to try something new!
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz President's Circle
In 2005 my fiance and I (same age as you) had the same dilema and through our research went with the Ren Chancery Court. This property is excellent and is comparable in my opinion to a Ritz. Excellent location and the concierge lounge was awesome. The deserts and selection of food was spectacular. We received a nice upgrade with my Plat Premiere status. It's walking distance from many nice attractions. I highly suggest this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.