Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think for London, GH & RCC are THE 2 main places to stay now based on the reviews.
No more upgrades for you!!! A true GH loyalist would know that there is only ONE place to stay, based on her many experiences.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:56 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I have stayed at the Ren CC and posted a stay report. (A quick search should bring it up.) One thing I was impressed with the Ren CC was the size of the room I was given. It easily had more room than an average room in the US. So I can understand why you would be able to find room availability for more than 2 persons. ^

My personal opinion is that for walking purposes, the Ren CC has one of the best locations of all the London Marriotts. I doubt you will be disappointed with your stay. Enjoy.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
As some regulars here know, I'm a fan of GS. As also has been said you won't go wrong with Park Lane....or Grosvenor House, which is also in the neighborhood.

From what you've described, I think GS is the best choice for what you'll be doing. Not only do you have the better room rate, but you're in a lovely neighborhood with an easy stroll to the Bond Street tube as well as pubs, dining, and Oxford Street shopping.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by cyberdad
As some regulars here know, I'm a fan of GS. As also has been said you won't go wrong with Park Lane....or Grosvenor House, which is also in the neighborhood.

From what you've described, I think GS is the best choice for what you'll be doing. Not only do you have the better room rate, but you're in a lovely neighborhood with an easy stroll to the Bond Street tube as well as pubs, dining, and Oxford Street shopping.
Yup - and the $70US savings on the room rate will help offset the costs of food & booze given the horrible exchange rate Have a great time! Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:44 pm

London Marble Arch

We loved the Marriott at the Marble Arch, but we were given a fabulous suite.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
London- Grosevnor Square vs. Ren. Chancery

I am heading to London 12/26 to 1/1. I have a points reservationa the Grosvenor Square, but today the Ren Chancery shows as availalbe.

My concern on the Ren Chancery is the fact that this is over a holiday period so will it feel isolated or lonely. Any thoughts?

As a plat staying on points which one will be a better experince?

Also does anyone know if EITHER of them still have smoking rooms? I know smoking is outlawed in the lobby etc, but when I was in London last spring they still had smoking rooms. My mother (who is my traveling companion) smokes so.....

Suggestions on which one to go with are welcome!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:00 pm

Having no experience with GS I can only speak for the RCC as to the subject of smoking.

As of last July (when we spent eight nights in the hotel) when I asked about it in the context of a conversation comparing Marriott FS in North American cities with those in London I was told y a member of their Guest Relations staff amounted to only about 5 per cent of their room inventory. They mentioned that they expected to go 100% non-smoking in the "near" future,but did not quantify it.

You might want to email them -- my experience is that their response will be very prompt:

[email protected]
Old Dec 19, 2007, 2:38 pm

Thanks.

The smoking vs non smoking is probably not as big an issue right now as "location" Just not sure what to do, but if I don't move soon the choice will probably be made for me and I will just stay at the Grosevnor Square.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
Hey CarolDisney1,

My wife and I will be in London at almost the same time! We're arriving on the 24th and leaving for Paris on the 28th. I went through very much the same hotel comparisons you did and ended up choosing the Grosvenor House... after several conversations with their staff, it was clear that they would take really great care of us. We're also staying on points, and got a Standard Award for our stay. I originally had the Renaissance booked, but then switched to the GH.

Check out the last couple of pages on this thread for the unfolding saga... .

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529989
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:27 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
There is definitely a lot of info on most all of the London properties here. It seems everyone has their own personal favorite downtown hotel (and they each have their own reasons.) For location purposes alone, I prefer the RCC over the others. It is easily walkable to the Tube and a most everything in downtown. But with that said, none of the hotels are really that far away from each other, it is just that RCC seems to be in a really nice "central" location to everything else.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
My concern on the Ren Chancery is the fact that this is over a holiday period so will it feel isolated or lonely. Any thoughts?
Legit point.

CC is in something of a commercial area, so you may find a few things in the immediate area shut down at the end of the month. On the other hand, you're still only a short walk to Covent Garden and other venues where it should still be "business as usual".

As regulars here likely are aware, I personally prefer GS....and the Mayfair neighborhood surrounding it. But CC is a bit more centrally located and more physically impressive.

As for the walk to the tube, CC is about three minutes...GS is about five. Cabs are usually plentiful in either place. More shopping and dining options in the immediate vacinity of GS. No shortage of nearby pubs in either locale!

Bottom line is you won't go wrong with either. They're both outstanding hotels.

Last edited by cyberdad; Dec 20, 2007 at 8:13 pm
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:33 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
I have stayed in both hotels, and find both of them to be absolutely lovely. Rest assured that no matter which hotel that you choose, you will be staying in a wonderful hotel, and you will remember your stay there fondly. That all being said, I prefer the Grosvenor SQUARE location a bit more if you are a leisure traveler, and the Chancery Court if you are a business traveler. Chancery Court is in a business area, and is a bit more of a modern interpretation, with somewhat larger rooms than the average London hotel, and a very nice CL. I have never stayed in the Grosvenor HOUSE, which is a different hotel entirely, with a similar name. Chancery Court is about 3-5 minutes to the Holborn Station of the Tube, and Grosvenor Square is about 3-5 minutes from Bond Street Station of the Tube. Grosvenor Square is on the same square as the American Embassy, and the breakfasts in their lobby restaurant are just wonderful! Chancery Court is a wonderful restoration and change of use from an insurance company headquarters to a wonderful hotel. IMHO, both hotels are excellent, you truly can't go wrong!
Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:10 pm

Thanks for everyone's help.

I decided to stay at GS, but today's emails have not made me think this was a good decision. I requested at two bedded room on the smoking floor. (I don't smoke, but my mother does) Told that wasn't possible, but I could have a king room So I went on the website where I discovered I could have an "executive" king on a smoking floor, which has a sofabed. Sent back an email asking if "my king" would have a sofabed. Nope. Sounds like I am not getting any type of upgrade.... While I am staying on points, I am plat and will not be happy if I don't at least get the lounge access..... We shall see.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:48 pm

Final updat (I hope!)

I went back to Marriott's website after my less them satisfactory email steam with the GS. Found the Ren Chancery on there again.

Called Marriott. Gota GREAT rep. who was truly a little shocked that all GS was offering was non-smoking TWIN beds. (Twin was not really an issue since that's not that uncommon in Europe, but he was shocked that they weren't coming through on the upgrade)

Moved to Chancery Court, got exactly what I wanted and from reviews on here I think it's a nicer hotel.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 9:23 pm

Carol....

I'm sorry to hear about your not being able to get what you want at GS. They've been very good to me about upgrades. And in general, they treat plats very well....including of course, cl access.

I suspect the problem you encountered may have had to do with your needing a smoking room.

Anyway, you and your mother will like CC. Physically, its the larger and more impressive of the two, and indeed most of the rooms are larger than GS (although the GS Exec kings are quite spacious). CC also has the nicer concierge lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.