Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Top, there are tons of threads re: your award points questions, so do a quick search (or pm me). Don't want this thread to get hijacked since it focuses on MV.

Also, sounds like short of Ren LHR (cheapest in LHR but out at airport), MV is the cheapest London property. Good to know.

Cheers.

PS - Re: earning points, Marriott has a gazillion more properties than *wood in London.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My recent conversation with GH management yielded the following update:

The renovation is behind the original schedule. The remodeled lobby and the forecourt came back last May. The Park Room and the Red Bar are expected to be reopened in the first week of February and the first phase of new rooms should be back by early March. All the remaining rooms, the new French brassiere and the Health Club should be open by early 2008.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:23 pm

Here's an additional update (more specific to booze LOL!) from another FTer who emailed the hotel in advance of his stay this weekend...

"The Executive lounge is open from 7:00am until 10:00pm on weekdays, and from 7:30am until 10:00pm on weekends. The lounge serves continental breakfast, afternoon tea and pre-dinner drinks and canapés, for your convenience. Breakfast is served from 7:00am until 10:30am on weekdays and from 7:30am to 11:00am on weekends. Pre-dinner drinks and canapés are served from 6:00pm until 8:00pm.

We do have a temporary bar area currently located in the Stratton Suite in our 86 Park Lane meeting rooms. The bar opens at 6:00pm. Alternatively, we also have the “Library” area near the lobby where you can have drinks."

Sharon's Note: Glad the Park Room & Red Bar will be open when I'm there in mid-Feb. Totally bummed I'll miss the new renovated rooms by 2-3 weeks! Drat!

Cheers.

PS - I don't care - still love GH staff & their service. They're the BEST!!!

PSS - I remember the old forecourt & lobby - they were beautiful - old grand dame style - talk about classy....I'm sure the renovated version will be fab.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:52 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Sharon, thank you for the very useful update. For clarification, others may like to know that the pre-dinner drinks are complimentary and include champagne.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:44 am

Good point dayone, especially since some of the other London properties charge for booze in the exec lounge. GH doesn't. It was a deciding factor for the FTer going this week in terms of staying there vs Park Lane (which does charge).

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:18 pm

Good news/bad news. Received the following from FTer staying at Grosvenor House this weekend.

Good news...

"Thanks for all the advice - I love the hotel...as you said, it's all about the people, right? I am having such a good time, and I think this is going to be my hotel in London from now. I will give you the detailed report, but this is actually better than Park Lane Marriott. The suite room is huge (seriously!)"

Bad news:

"Well...the Executive Lounge attendant just told me that they are planning to charge evening drinks (honor bar system) at Grosvenor House starting next month..."

Sharon's note: Hope they start charging AFTER my stay there next month. Bummer.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:34 pm

London Hotels: Exec Lounges that charge for booze

Just got the bad news that the Grovenor House exec lounge is going to start charging for booze (currently free) next month in the exec lounge on the honor system. Bummer.

Know the Park Lane does. Think Grosvenor Square does. Ren Heathrow does.

Another FTer said that Canary Wharf & Ren Chanc Court didn't last year, but wasn't sure if that's still the case.

So thought I'd start a thread and ask people to post their experiences (and timelines - ie, this month, last Sept) of London area hotels they've stayed at & if there's a charge or not in the exec lounges.

I know in the case of the FTer at Grosvenor House this weekend that one of the reasons it got his bizness over Park Lane was the free booze in exec lounge. So while it probably cost GH a few quid in free booze, the room revenue it received vs PL receiving it was substantially more.

BTW - this is not a thread on whether or not people who are looking for free booze in the exec lounges are alcoholics or not (ie, the hotel version of the old airline argument). It's just a post your experience ( - ie, this hotel does/doesn't & the date, and if you want, your thoughts re: free vs charge & does it impact your decision on where to stay).

Given the exchange rate in UK I'm bummed about GH charging. Might be time to start packing a bottle of wine in my luggage & enjoy a glass of wine in my room each night vs the exec lounge (which I would prefer to go to) cuz w/ the exchange rate I can probably buy a bottle for the cost of 1 glass!

Hmm, maybe besides the which exec lounges are open on the weekends we should have a sticky or thread on which exec lounges worldwide charge/don't charge for booze.

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Stayed at the Ren CC less than a month ago (over New Years.) Neither my wife or I really drink much, so we didn't actually drink anything there but the free stuff (water, colas, juices, etc.) It looked like they charge for their booze as they had the self-service drink price list/receipt in front of the booze. Just where you couldn't miss it if you were going to get you something.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Marriott Kensington charges. But then, so do most of the Exec Lounges in the US. Not sure about other countries.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:34 pm

Up to now I think most of the int'l countries didn't charge for booze, but sounds like that's changing.

Looks like Ren CC has switched to charge from former n/c.

When I was at Park Lane their exec lounge drink charges were pretty hefty anyway & when you factored in the exchange rate And they had someone watching like a hawk to make sure you honored the honor system

Anyone have any recent experiences w/ County Hall, Marble Arch, Grosvenor Square, Canary Wharf, Marriott LHR? (am trying to go from memory here on London hotels w/ exec lounges).

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think ExecPlatinum_Lord mentioned to me that he stayed at County Hall within the last couple of months (may have been over Thanksgiving week.) We may have to bug him to read this thread and see.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Anyone have any recent experiences w/ County Hall, Marble Arch, Grosvenor Square, Canary Wharf, Marriott LHR? (am trying to go from memory here on London hotels w/ exec lounges).

Cheers.
I stayed at the Grosvenor Square last week and the Executive Lounge was charging for alcohol. Can't remember the price, but like you said it definitely was not a bargain when you consider the exchange rate.

RIP...
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
County Hall charge as well.

If you want to sample the dark side, most Hiltons in the UK do have free booze in their lounges, but lounge access is not guaranteed, even for Diamonds.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
As far as I know all Marriotts in the UK will charge for booze in lounges, using the honour system.

As the cost of wine and food at the London hotels has increased each year, and now my corporate meal allowance barely covers the food, I have to take my own wine if I want more than one glass.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I can confirm that the Ren CC and Ren Gatwick do charge for booze from my Dec. stays. I was surprised and disappointed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.