Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:40 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
London marriotts big enough for (or even just allow) 3 adults?

I am in my mid-20s and am headed to london soon, so cyberdad's post was informative. There have been many london threads, but none that really addressed the specific question asked by the OP. Searching internet forums is really an art because of lack of keywords assigned to threads, so I can see why people get annoyed when they are told to simply "do a search". A lot of information gets buried in these threads, especially if posters don't title their posts or forums don't let one search the title.

So with the risk of no one reading my question because there is no subject line out there in the forums:

Does anyone have experience with getting 3 adults in to a london marriott comfortably? I'm thinking of a setup with a king + sofabed room then getting a rollaway. I doubt I could find a double/double room big enough to fit a rollaway. I'm pretty set on marriott because I have a good deal of points and get lounge access which should get a bunch of free meals and snacks to combat those high london restaurant prices.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:54 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
When my wife and I stayed at the Ren CC last month, we were given an "Executive" room. It was easily larger than most US hotel rooms. And it fits exactly what you describe, one King bed with a pull-out sofa bed with lots of extra room. So it might even handle a rollabed even with the sofa-bed pulled out.

BTW, Mini-stay Report - Ren. CC in London is my stay report. And I describe the room and hotel a bit more there.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
goldenbear, your subtitle within the thread is an excellent example of being specific in info being requested, as opposed to which marriott in london which is quite generic. Also, you're polite whereas the OP was rude w/ the yawn & deleted to be the better man comments.

My rule of thumb (where did that phrase come anyway? lol) is to do a search first, read the threads that might have the info i need, & then if i still have a question post it being specific such as you were.

Have fun in London! Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Thanks for the kind remarks, Goldenbear.

Rooms at Chancery Court can vary in size, but most of them are pretty spacious....certainly by London standards. We had a room with two doubles. Mom, Dad, and adult daughter. It was just fine.

Grosvenor Square also has executive king rooms which are larger and contain the sleeper sofa. I've had excellent luck as a plat getting upgraded to these, which is a good thing, because some of the the standard rooms tend to be a bit smallish. (If you opt for GS, avoid the top floor with a party of three because the construction of the building is such that dormers slightly constrict the "headroom" in these rooms)
Old Feb 14, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
[B]
My rule of thumb (where did that phrase come anyway? lol)
I thought 'rule of thumb' was based on approximating an inch with the width of the thumb, but if you look it up on wikipedia, there are some much more interesting possible definitions - one of them being that an englishman could beat his wife with a stick no wider than his thumb. How the internet and wikipedia can fill one's head with interesting (but often untrue) trivia.

As for searching, I think if people could search subtitles, then there could be a single marriott thread. They do pop up quite often.

Last edited by goldenbear; Feb 14, 2007 at 3:23 pm Reason: accidentally submitted before done
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:35 pm

Going OT:

goldenbear, i've got over 10K posts & i didn't know really (guess didn't pay attention, but i'm sure i've done it by accident) that one could post sub-titles. and truthfully, given how many threads i read, i can say subtitle usage is not large. like not really large.

So my take is be SPECIFIC in one's request in the title, then someone doesn't need to DO a sub-title.

Back OT:

Anyway, will be interesting to see if the OP comes back & says what he eventually chose & then does a trip report after (which would be helpful). Then he could say do a search

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by cyberdad

Rooms at Chancery Court can vary in size, but most of them are pretty spacious....certainly by London standards. We had a room with two doubles. Mom, Dad, and adult daughter. It was just fine.
cyberdad is right on. When we go to London, we stay at the CC, get an Executive Room with 2 doubles, and we're in business. I think even their "regular" rooms are quite spacious. But the exec rooms are about 400 sq ft, and would be more spacious than most of the hotel rooms in the US. You will have no problem with size.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:45 am

Received an email from virtual concierge today in response to a couple of questions.

They do have treadmill, free weights & weight machines available 24/7. The pool is still closed, but if someone wants to use one they've made arrangements w/ Marriott Marble Arch.

The Red Bar re-opens tomorrow, so I'll be one of its first customers!

The guest services manager noted my request of making the rain stop & said they're trying to honor it, but no guarantees LOL...

I leave this aft for London, so will post a report either from the exec lounge or when I get back next week. Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Sharon....

Have a safe/fun trip! I for one, will be interested in reading your update....especially if the concierge honors your request about the weather.

Mrs. Cyberdad & I will be several weeks behind you later this spring. We'll be at GS, but I can see us sauntering over to check out the Red Bar and otherwise see how to the remodeling has turned out.

Don't forget to hoist one in the Red Bar for the rest of us on the board!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:43 am

Concierge indeed honored my request re: weather Been quite mild here & no rain, although today looks cloudy.

Red Bar opened Fri, but I got back late enough Fri & Sat to have it close just before I arrived. Tonight will be an earlier night, so I'll go in then.

I LOVE THIS HOTEL!!!! I truly, truly cannot say enough about the staff here. They're great.

This is the short version on the renovation; longer report when I get back to LA.

Courtyard, lobby area, library, park room, red bar are renovated & open. They all are lovely, classy, large, great. Had high-tea in Park Room yest. Have had late night drinks in the Park Room & The Library both nights.

I am missing by a few weeks the new wing opening, but looked through the glass hallway doors & saw the color scheme of carpeting in new area. Looks nice.

The restaurant doesn't open until the summer sometime, and I think actually by the end of the renovation there will be 3 restaurants on the property.

Should have gone to the fitness room, but after checking email & quick FT it's time for tea in the exec lounge. I love those tea sandwiches Will also go back there before going out tonight & report on whether it's still free booze or honor bar.

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to hear you're enjoying your birthday weekend, Sharon!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Many thanks!

I want to thank everyone (Cyberdad and the like) for posting their views on London hotels specifically pertaining to 20/30something nightlife proximity. This is exactly what I was looking for and I am very glad for the people who took the time to read my post and answer accordingly.

I have booked at the Chancery based on everyone's responses using a standard reward for 4 nights. When I return next week, I promise a trip report.

Thanks again, this is why FlyerTalk is an invaluable resource.

One additional question: As a plat, even though I'm on a reward, I know that sometimes the hotel will provide a room upgrade of some sort. Will being at a Renaissance vs. a standard issue Marriott hurt my chances on this?

GA
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:45 am

Greer....

Thanks for the kind remarks. I'm sure CC will work out well for you. One thing that may come in handy for you guys is the Sainsbury's mini-supermarket a half block away. Great for sodas, beer, snacks, toiletries, etc. at reasonable (for London) prices. Also, there's a Starbucks across the street and several fast food places nearby, not to mention a couple of decent "locals" (pubs).

Feel free to pm me if I can help with anything else specific. Anything I can't answer, I'll refer to my daughter (who's your age and who works near the CC, as I've said).

As for the upgrade question, I think you should have a pretty good chance, especially if the hotel isn't sold out. My experience is that Marriott is usually quite good about providing upgrades on reward stays when requested. I don't know this for sure, but my impression is that Marriott doesn't want to be accused of thanking you for your business by giving you a "reward" of substandard quality.

I think I'm batting a thousand...or very close to it...on London reward stay upgrades down through the years.

Have a safe/fun trip!

Last edited by cyberdad; Feb 20, 2007 at 11:48 am Reason: grammar
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAVirgin
Chancery Court would be my recommendation. A great location, excellent rooms, and lots to do within walking distance or the tube steps from the front door.
Ditto on that one. Stayed at Grovenor Sq last week and was not really impressed.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:35 pm

Glad it worked out Greer & please do do a 'trip report'. Does help others when they're searching.

I'm just back from an award stay at Grosvenor House on Park Lane (not to be confused w/ Grosvenor Square). This is absolutely hands down my absolutely favorite Marriott in London. I love this hotel - the service totally rocks.

Having said that, it wouldn't be good for 2 young guys looking for nightlife as there isn't much of that nearby. I'm usually doing dinner, pubs & clubs elsewhere (Soho usually) so for me it's not as big an issue.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.