Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
And now, I'm just back from the CL at the LHR Ren. "Cheap, Skimpy, and Uninviting" are words that come to mind. Seriously, it would be tough to call this a "spread". Just a few sick-looking hors doerves and some gloppy-looking chicken and rice thing.

I declined to partake.

But I don't want to go too far in bashing this. I'm only paying 55 pounds.

The hotel itself is fine. Nothing exciting, but perfectly adequate. As one might expect, it seems to be making much of its livlihood servicing ariline crews....particularly from KAL (I believe its Korean-owned).

Suggestion: If you're staying here and want something cheaper and better than hotel food at hotel prices....its about a ten-minute walk to "The Pheasant", a friendly local pub with great food. (My dinner there tonite was sensational.)
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
According to the website, this hotel is still undergoing renovations... the restaurant is closed until March. Have any FTers stayed there recently? I'm planning a London trip between Christmas and New Years and the reviews make it sound like this property would be a good option, but with the current construction, I'm not so sure. Also, the pool is unavailable, but not much of a loss during December in London!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:56 am

Bump... anyone with a recent experience at the GH? One that would help for a potential Xmas/NY stay?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Most of the renovation is done, so I wouldn't let that concern you. As FT Marriott folk know, this property is one of my absolute favorites. I'm quite looking forward to my stay this upcoming Feb.

Cheers.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I stayed in September for 2 nights and I didn't see that there was any construction whatsoever. The hotel is fantastic. The lounge did still have free drinks and good food!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:48 am

It sounds like a great hotel... I'm about to switch from the Renaissance... my only real hesitation now comes from the fact that according to the hotel website, the restaurant will be closed... and since we are going to be there starting on 12/24, I'm worried about not having an open food option on Xmas day. I figured the hotel restaurant would at least be available to us. Thoughts?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by woojink
It sounds like a great hotel... I'm about to switch from the Renaissance... my only real hesitation now comes from the fact that according to the hotel website, the restaurant will be closed... and since we are going to be there starting on 12/24, I'm worried about not having an open food option on Xmas day. I figured the hotel restaurant would at least be available to us. Thoughts?
Email the hotel & ask them how they're handling Xmas Day meals - or if they know of other restaurants in the area that will be open that they can recommend.

BTW - you've got PM.

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by woojink
It sounds like a great hotel... I'm about to switch from the Renaissance...
It IS a great hotel....but then again so's the Ren. I'd have a tough time choosing between these two. Ren is a little more centrally located and has more stuff to see/do within walking distance, but GH is classier and in a more upscale area. And then you have Hyde Park right across the street.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:40 pm

Also cyberdad usually stays at Marriott Grosvenor Square (5 minutes walk from Grosvenor House), so you may want to find out if they're doing an Xmas dinner if GH isn't.

Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:35 pm

This morning I sent an email to the GH... it was probably after 6pm their time when I sent it, so I didn't expect a response today... I got the email address for the property from the Platinum line. I asked about the renovations and restaurant issue telling them that they had several vociferous fans that are telling me that the GH should be my first choice property in London. I'm waiting to hear what they say before switching the reservation. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Can somebody tell me what this means? I am looking to book an award stay in April at the GH.

Rewards Upgrade Executive Room*UPGRADE FEE OF 100 PLUS TAX PER NIGHT*NO UPGRADE VOUCHERS ACCEPTED* Incl Buffet Breakfast for 2
Marriott Rewards Redemption Available Extra hotel charges (meals,etc.) will be added to your credit card.

Does that mean, it will cost 100/pounds per night plus tax?

How about this one?

Rewards Suite *PAID UPGRADE* 250UKL PLUS 17.5PCT VAT PER NIGHT **NO UPGRADE VOUCHERS ACCEPTED* Rate Incl Bfast for 2 * Max 4 ppl
Marriott Rewards Redemption Available Extra hotel charges (meals,etc.) will be added to your credit card.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Trach,
Yes, it means that if you select one of those options you are going to have to pay either a 100 or 250 pounds a night for the room. Second one is more because it's a suite.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:32 pm

If you're Gold or Plat status with Marriott, you'll probably get upgraded or you can put in the comments section, request upgrade.

But if not G/P & you want to 'guarantee' the upgrade to exec room or suite, that's the fee.

Grosvenor Square (about 5 minutes away from GH) has a 75GBP+VAT fee for confirmed upgrades I believe.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:06 am

So... as mentioned earlier, I sent an email to the Grosvenor House a few days ago, and not a word back from them as of today. Really strange. I do not have a reservation there right now, but in the email asked some questions regarding their renovations and what not. The email was very solicitous and kind in asking about their property and I clearly indicated that I wanted to book a room (they have lots of availability at last check) but wanted to have some questions answered first. I'm a bit surprised that I have not heard back from them yet.

I also sent an email to the Ren CC last night, hopefully they will respond.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:24 pm

OK. So I just thought... why wait for an email? Maybe I got the address wrong. I'll call them. So I just got off the phone with the Grosvenor House and they were awesome. Skiadcock, you're right, the staff there is terrific. According to the front desk they are only selling renovated rooms, so that should not be an issue. Also, I started talking to one fellow and when I asked him to compare the Ren CC to the GH, he said that his colleague standing right next to him used to work there and she was very helpful in describing both properties. Won me over. I just switched the booking. Looking forward, and will definitely post a review after my stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.