Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Which Marriott to choose in London

I'm taking my brother for a vacation in a few weeks to London; going to use points for a standard reward there.

There are a ton of choices and right now I have absolutely no idea which one I want to stay in. I'd like to stay in a fun neighborhood that's fairly accessible to things. The number of points is not an issue, I have plenty.

We are 31 and 28 years old and both single, so nightlife is kind of an important factor.

Any recommendations based on these things? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by GreerApproach
Any recommendations based on these things?
I recommend a search.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
I recommend a search.
Yawn.

Anyone have any real answers?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

"Real answers?" All the hotels in Central London are good.

Informative Answers: Search will introduce you to the wealth of experience and commentary already posted and updated on this much-discussed topic.

"Yawn" indeed.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:46 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by GreerApproach; Feb 10, 2007 at 2:47 pm Reason: To be the better man in this situation.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I don't call it being the better man , just someone who's rude when people are pointing out that the search function will provide a wealth of information. There are a gazillion which Marriott to choose in London threads, & reports on London hotels get updated regularly. Enjoy your stay, whichever one you end up choosing. Cheers.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Well said (as usual), Sharon....

Now, for a couple of younger single guys, I'd narrow it down to the following....

County Hall: Near all the sightseeing attractions. Pubs and restaurants nearby but not much of a neighborhood or local feel. If pure sightseeing is what you want and time is limited, this is a good choice. If you want to get more of a feel for the city and its nightlife, this probably isn't a good choice.

Kensington: Away from (but still fairly handy to) tourist stuff, but in a neighborhood loaded with local young professional people, singles, and "internationals" living in London. My son spent a winter in this area as a college exchange student and had a blast. (Other son stayed here this summer with his wife and liked it fine...other than it's about an eight minute walk to the tube).

Chancery Court: Very centrally located. Beautiful, upscale hotel. In something of a "business district", but about a ten or fifteen minute walk to Covent Garden....an area loaded with pubs, restaurants, shops. Locals and tourists mingle freely. Less than a half block from the Holborn street tube, which is a big plus...putting most attractions 10-20 minutes away. (I've stayed here. My daughter...who's your age... teaches nearby. She, her boyfriend, and their friends hang out in the area quite a lot, and never get bored with it. The Princess Louise nearby is one of their "locals".)

Grosvenor Square: My favorite. Even though I'm an old goat, I wouldn't think this would be a bad choice for younger singles. Lovely Mayfair neighborhood, great "local" feel (even with the U.S. and other embassies nearby) and a block and away from Oxford street. Dozens of pubs, clubs, restaurants within walking distance, and five minutes to the Bond Street tube. (Where we normally stay when we visit our daughter).

Marble Arch and West India Quay also have their fans....Might not be bad at all, and I'm not knocking them, but I think the ones above would be better for you guys. Grosvenor House is only about four blocks from Grosvenor Square....also very good (I've stayed here), but probably it isn't what you're looking for. Maida Vale and Regents Park might prove to be "too far afield".

Feel free to pm me for more specifics, suggestions, etc. Whatever I can't answer, I'll relay to my daughter.

Jack
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
cyberdad gave a nice overview of the good downtown Marriotts. ^ In reality you can get from any of the hotels to the others fairly quickly as they aren't very far apart. But with that said, I would think if you are looking for night life, then the Ren. Chancery Court might be your best location. It is an easy walk to a lot of shopping, restaurants, plays, etc. The Covent Garden area, that cyberdad mentions is definitely a crowded area in the evenings with lots of people doing lots of things.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Might also want to note that the County Hall has world-class spectacular views from the rooms facing the Thames, Parliament, Big Ben. Also, the CH is on the wonderful walk along the bank of the Thames.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by hhoope01
cyberdad gave a nice overview of the good downtown Marriotts. ^ In reality you can get from any of the hotels to the others fairly quickly as they aren't very far apart. But with that said, I would think if you are looking for night life, then the Ren. Chancery Court might be your best location.
Absolutely correct. All of the hotels are well located...and for that matter, so would be Park Lane. Forgot to mention that one, but that choice also probably wouldn't be what you guys are looking for, either.

As for the various types of nightlife/entertainment.... That goes not only for the immediate area around Covent Garden, but for several blocks in every direction as well. And yes, as hhoope01 says, some of the venues can get pretty crowded just about any night of the week.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Chancery Court would be my recommendation. A great location, excellent rooms, and lots to do within walking distance or the tube steps from the front door.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
Chancery Court would be my recommendation. A great location, excellent rooms, and lots to do within walking distance or the tube steps from the front door.

Yes, If I was young, single, and (oh...never mind), I'd probably go with CC!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by cyberdad
Yes, If I was young, single, and (oh...never mind), I'd probably go with CC!
I'm not single and not that young either. The CC is great hotel for all ages.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
I'm not single and not that young either. The CC is great hotel for all ages.
Agree 100%! ^

The question was which one would I pick/suggest for a couple of young single guys. If it was young single ladies, I might go with GH instead. Or if it was a first time visitor I'd probably say CH.

But its tough to go wrong for any visitor at CC....or for that matter any of the Central London hotels. Particularly the ones I discussed earlier.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
If you have enough points, I'd highly recommend County Hall. Centrally located, fantastics views, great service. An easy walk to many good attractions and just a short taxi ride from others (including nightlife). The wife and I stayed there in December and can't say enough about how perfect it was.

As platinum, I was upgraded (upon check-in) to a river view room with an awesome view of Big Ben, the Parliament House and the London Eye.

Also, it's an easy walk to Waterloo Station if you fancy taking the Eurostar to Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.