Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Am currently at Grosvenor House. It's my favorite & went through a major remodel in the last few years.

Not sure what the strange bathrooms comment is about; they're usually a good size, marble floors, granite countertops, UK & US shower heads.

County Hall, Ren CC & Grosvenor House are all good choices.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
IMHO, I would usually say that for first-timers it's a no brainer: County Hall. While it's wonderfully placed for touring and has gorgeous views, part of the thrill staying at CH is a room with Thames/Big Ben view, which most plats/golds are assigned to. Without status, I'm not sure what you would get. So, if you choose CH, I would call/email in advance to make sure you get a room with this view, if they're willing to do this. ("I'm thinking of making a reservation, but want to make sure we get a room overlooking the Thames. Is that possible?") Some of these rooms have slightly different views of the Thames, including Big Ben, and Parliament; and some variation of this including the "London Eye." (Without status, and without paying extra, I would settle for any of these views.)

Last edited by ohmark; Feb 15, 2011 at 10:27 am
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Am currently at Grosvenor House. It's my favorite & went through a major remodel in the last few years.

Not sure what the strange bathrooms comment is about; they're usually a good size, marble floors, granite countertops, UK & US shower heads.

County Hall, Ren CC & Grosvenor House are all good choices.

Cheers.
I may have used a bad choice of words. The bathrooms were just a little different that Marriott ones... not really in a bad way at all...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:50 am

Thank you to all who responded. I've decided to book Grosvenor House based on these comments. When using points for my dates there is an option to upgrade to a "superior" room for 40GBP per day. Any opinions on whether that would be worthwhile?

Last edited by jdaa; Feb 16, 2011 at 9:32 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I may have used a bad choice of words. The bathrooms were just a little different that Marriott ones... not really in a bad way at all...
Still confused by what different from Marriott bathrooms means . But rather than sidetrack the thread you can just PM me if you're so inclined.

Originally Posted by jdaa
Thank you to all who responded. I've decided to book Grosvenor House based on these comments. When using points for my dates there is an option to upgrade to a "superior" room for 40GBP per day. Any opinions on whether that would be worthwile?
Superior rooms are usually quite large. Whether it's worth 40quid is up to you & your budget. Does it get you access to the exec lounge? If so, then I'd say yes cuz they've beefed up their breakfast offerings, plus they've got snacks in the day, free booze in the eve, along w/ munchies.

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Since 1992 - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bgrant99
My wife and I stayed at Marriott marble arch last September with our 1 year old. We loved it. The service and location were fantastic. I stay at marriotts weekly and this is probably my best experience.
I would also agree with that assessment. We spent part of our honeymoon at the Marriott Marble Arch. The location is outstanding. I will also say the Grosvenor House is a top choice as well.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA
GS gone downhill

moved to more appropriate new thread

Last edited by LACouple; Mar 3, 2011 at 7:29 am Reason: moved to appropriate thread
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AA, UA
Marriott Grosvenor Square Horrid Stay and Report

Rant off....needless to say we will communicate with management and Marriott HQ per suggestions in this thread.

Cheers

LACouple

Last edited by LACouple; Mar 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm Reason: Pulling back rant
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:59 am

Sorry to hear of your experience. I did read on a dif site that others are reporting that GS (not to be confused w/ GH) has gone downhill lately. One is now comparing it to the Marble Arch & another to a Thistle

What I would recommend you doing is write the GM of GS & explain your unhappiness, the reason why, and that his property lost revenue to Hilton due to this. You can CC Marriott HQ.

I appreciate your sharing your experience so that others will know, but if you want action taken you need to contact the Marriott folk directly, as posting on a BB can't really affect changes there (usually anyway).

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, HyattGP
Sorry to hear of your experience. I did read on a dif site that others are reporting that GS (not to be confused w/ GH) has gone downhill lately. One is now comparing it to the Marble Arch & another to a Thistle

Cheers.
Well I don't know what has been said on the dif site (is there a free standing MR board?) but I can tell you first hand what LACouple said here was our experience nearly exactly three weeks ago. In terms of MR loyalty recognition, service and cleanliness this hotel has hit the pits. It is actually bad for GH that it is often confused for GS and vice a versa to folks that have not been to both properties because GH is truly one of Marriott's best - how about I recommend to Marriott HQ that they have GH train the GS staff and have the GH housekeeping crew detail GS from top to bottom for starters. Always a bad sign when one property in such a location falls so much.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Sorry I missed the rant...
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Bummed I missed it, too. We stayed at the GS Marriott this past Thanksgiving and had excellent service and excellent room. As a plat was upgraded to a 2 room suite. As our flight wasn't out until super late (think close to midnight) on the last night, were still allowed lounge access and loitered in the lobby.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
CC OR GS???

We have stayed at the CC since it first opened..the head concierge is the same guy who recognizes us each time we stay! This has become one of my favorite hotels in London, but have noticed the past couple of trips that the staff is not as attentive as several years ago. The location is OK and is near both the West End theaters and Covent Garden and the Holborn tube stations, so you can get almost anywhere really fast.

GS is a great old hotel, but have had two mediocre experiences the past year. It is close to Hyde Park and lots of shopping, which would appeal to teens.

you can't go wrong with either!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:02 pm

I've actually PM'd the OP to ask them to reinstate the rant. I thought it was valid info, especially since it's been correlating w/ other reports recently. FTers have the right to know the good, the bad & the ugly.

I think the OP took my contact Marriott HQ too much to heart & deleted the rant, vs keeping it & also contacting Marriott HQ.

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
. I think the OP took my contact Marriott HQ too much to heart & deleted the rant, vs keeping it & also contacting Marriott HQ.
I definitely agree, we shouldn't take you too seriously.

But add my request to the list asking for the "rant" to be brought back. If nothing else, this gives any one who stays there something to compare their stay with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.