Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of June 2023, evening service is in the 2nd floor Lobby Lounge, and breakfast is served in The Cafe - main hotel restaurant - for all Plat+ Elite guests.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2009, 4:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, CX Bus
I stayed there last week. Booked two regular garden/city rooms. As Plat, 1 room was upgraded to a Harbor View and my room was upgraded to a Harbor View 1 Bedroom Suite. Had Lounge access and daily continental breakfast (only for 1 room). Breakfast was ok but didn't even bother with the lounge after reading all the reviews here. I did ask the front desk about upgrading to a Tower Room or Suite and was told they were "separate" and did not have access to the towers. Overall service was "OK" nothing great, no one went out of their way to do anything. Stayed at the Landmark MO last year and definitely will not be returning to the Sheraton HK in the future.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:42 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by PROBBE
I stayed there last week. Booked two regular garden/city rooms. As Plat, 1 room was upgraded to a Harbor View and my room was upgraded to a Harbor View 1 Bedroom Suite. Had Lounge access and daily continental breakfast (only for 1 room). Breakfast was ok but didn't even bother with the lounge after reading all the reviews here. I did ask the front desk about upgrading to a Tower Room or Suite and was told they were "separate" and did not have access to the towers. Overall service was "OK" nothing great, no one went out of their way to do anything. Stayed at the Landmark MO last year and definitely will not be returning to the Sheraton HK in the future.
this post sums up this hotel rather well. they seem content to keep their occupancy rates up with tour groups instead of cultivating the business crowd (that they used to have ). it will be interesting to see if anything changes when the new hyatt opens up behind the sheraton. as an aside, if you were upgraded to a harbor view suite you did rather well as i only get the suites in the back.

Last edited by abk; Jan 18, 2009 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I was also upgraded to Habour view. No suite upgrade (wasn't even offered) and of course no tower. Last time, I stayed in tower, no-view room. And even though tower is really nice and lounge is awesome...etc, I don't think tower is worth the price difference. Because (1) habour view is nicer than no-view room/ suite (2) didn't spend much time in room (3) the money saved could be spend in bars elsewhere.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by PROBBE
You did very well with a Harbour View Suite. I was offered a city view suite or harbour view deluxe, but they wouldn't budge on the harbour suite. They were certainly available during our time there.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by troyb
You did very well with a Harbour View Suite. I was offered a city view suite or harbour view deluxe, but they wouldn't budge on the harbour suite. They were certainly available during our time there.
I agree. I was also offered standard harbour view room with access to that dreadful box room they call a lounge but no harbour view suite. It was late and I was going out so I couldn't be bothered arguing.

Unless it changes then short of a really cheap rate I won't be going back.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:16 am

I am definitely going to be at the Hyatt once they are up. Already some of the stays were at the Grand Hyatt.

Originally Posted by abk
it will be interesting to see if anything changes when the new hyatt opens up behind the sheraton.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:41 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Aircoco
I am definitely going to be at the Hyatt once they are up. Already some of the stays were at the Grand Hyatt.
The rooms here are ok and I can't get the Grand Hyatt for nearly as cheap. If the new Hyatt is just as cheap I'll stay wherever I still need stays for elite status.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Stayed here for one night earlier this week. Rates were about 35% cheaper than what has been the norm as of late for this property. Upgraded to a city view suite (#1289), but opted to change to a Harbor View Deluxe (xx30). Never have issues getting upgrades here, but I think in my preferences they have it noted I preferred a Suite. Continental breakfast is offered in the Cafe on 2/F and I was told you can upgrade to full breakfast for 33 HKD.

I noted that May, who was the SPG Coordinator at the hotel for at least the last few years left, but the new person seems to look after plats just as well as May did.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:58 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by kluau88
Stayed here for one night earlier this week. Rates were about 35% cheaper than what has been the norm as of late for this property. Upgraded to a city view suite (#1289), but opted to change to a Harbor View Deluxe (xx30). Never have issues getting upgrades here, but I think in my preferences they have it noted I preferred a Suite. Continental breakfast is offered in the Cafe on 2/F and I was told you can upgrade to full breakfast for 33 HKD.

I noted that May, who was the SPG Coordinator at the hotel for at least the last few years left, but the new person seems to look after plats just as well as May did.
i was sorry see may go and have not gotten to know the new person yet. i am interested to read about the upgrade to full breakfast for 33 hkd. this must be reatively new as i have asked about this in the past and was told an upcharge was not available. a welcome addition.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
I agree with many posts here. Staff, service & room size are not very exciting. I have been staying almost every month for the last year (average 3 nights/stay) and the best I've got are harbour view regular room and only 1 time no view suite. Check in and check out is always a mess in this property and staff don't care about SPG Plat or Gold customers.

I asked about towers upgrade and answer was that it is a different property or management...seems to be blocked for SPG Plat.

Food quality is ok, but overpriced if compared to other nearby restaurants or hotels.

In general, Sheraton HK is a property that does NOT care for SPG elite members...I am waiting for Hyatt Kowloon to reopen. Will put all my effort to move to Hyatt in HK since SPG lacks of good staff in HK.

Won't recommend to spend too much money on this hotel.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by atakam
I agree with many posts here. Staff, service & room size are not very exciting. I have been staying almost every month for the last year (average 3 nights/stay) and the best I've got are harbour view regular room and only 1 time no view suite. Check in and check out is always a mess in this property and staff don't care about SPG Plat or Gold customers.

I asked about towers upgrade and answer was that it is a different property or management...seems to be blocked for SPG Plat.

Food quality is ok, but overpriced if compared to other nearby restaurants or hotels.

In general, Sheraton HK is a property that does NOT care for SPG elite members...I am waiting for Hyatt Kowloon to reopen. Will put all my effort to move to Hyatt in HK since SPG lacks of good staff in HK.

Won't recommend to spend too much money on this hotel.
I've never had issues here since I first started staying here as a Platinum in September 2003. There isn't much the staff can do about small rooms and it's already known that the "Towers" is viewed as a different hotel so people shouldn't get upset that it's blocked for Platinum upgrades. The same situation is in place at the Sheraton in Singapore too. As for food, how can you fault the hotel for the quality since they don't operate the restaurants. If the rooms had issues then I could see one being upset, but you're talking about a restaurant that's run by someone else.

Maybe my tolerance is greater than that of others or maybe some are expecting more out of the Sheraton Hong Kong than what we know they offer. I guess if you want SPG points you can always give the W or the LM Cyberport a try.

By the way, in case you didn't realize it Platinum upgrades are subject to availability.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I do not really understand the negative attitude towards this property. It offers one of the best harborviews in Hong Kong and is by far cheaper than the Peninsula or the IC. You just need to be aware:

• As a rule, there is no upgrade from the main hotel to the towers (however, there are exceptions to the rule). So if you want the towers book the towers.

• The Towers' benefits are to my belief well worth the extra bucks: Wunderful breakfast with a really great view (and no bunches of tourists around), an excellent lounge with a perfect view, free internet and laundry credit.

• As a rule, there is no harbor view suite upgrade in the Towers (There is to my belief only one harbor view suite on each floor). However, there are exceptions to the rule.

I staid there four times last year, booked a regular towers' room and always got one of the bigger towers' harbor view rooms. I really appreciate that they DO NOT UPGRADE from the normal hotel to the towers, this helps to keep these floors as as peaceful oasis. And to leave no doubt: I would never ever stay at the normal hotel. This is a tourist place, cheapo and (with the exception of view and location) not really a great place. But the Towers? Certainly very good value for money.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
...I staid there four times last year, booked a regular towers' room and always got one of the bigger towers' harbor view rooms. I really appreciate that they DO NOT UPGRADE from the normal hotel to the towers, this helps to keep these floors as as peaceful oasis. And to leave no doubt: I would never ever stay at the normal hotel. This is a tourist place, cheapo and (with the exception of view and location) not really a great place. But the Towers? Certainly very good value for money.
Agreed. The Towers service level is so good that for a while I was alternating stays there with the Pen -- and didn't regret it. But often the Pen is not much more expensive than the Towers these days.

Sheraton has done poorly with the Towers branding. It is too inconsistent between hotels. Some Towers are much better than others (and better than their base hotels). HKG suffers from this (few people recognize how good the Towers is until they stay there).
Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:00 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I've stayed here twice as a Plat. Both times I was upgraded to a suite. The Plat recognition I received at Check-in was fine. I agree they typically have a line at SPG check-in and need to have more staff. My only real complaint about this place is the lounge.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by kluau88
As for food, how can you fault the hotel for the quality since they don't operate the restaurants. If the rooms had issues then I could see one being upset, but you're talking about a restaurant that's run by someone else.
The fact that a hotel restaurant is "run by someone else" is no excuse, assuming the hotel as any say in who leases the space. I could imagine some unusual situation where the hotel is just a tenant in the building that's owned by someone else, and that landlord has sole discretion in leasing out restaurant space. But in most cases, a restaurant in a hotel building is leasing the space from the hotel. The hotel leases that space in order for there to be food service available to the hotel guests. The fact that they choose not to manage the restaurant themselves doesn't IMHO remove them from responsibility.

It reminds me of situations where you encounter a problem with a vending machine on a guest floor, and the front desk tells you "Oh, that has nothing to do with us - an outside vendor handles those machines. Call the phone number on the front of the machine if you have an issue." This has happened to me more than once. Am I to believe that the vending machine company has some sort of easement on each floor of the hotel, such that they can place machines there without approval of the hotel? The fact that the hotel decided to sub out the maintenance of the vending machines to a third party (presumably for the hotel's convenience or efficiency) in no way removes them from the chain of responsibility to the guest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.