Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: lcpteck
Wiki Link
SPG Platinum Benefits
  • Complimentary In-Room Internet Access
  • Complimentary breakfast at The Café, 2nd Floor.
  • Access to Platinum Lounge located on the 11th Floor, Room 1171 (opens from 0700hrs to 0000hrs). Evening cocktail is served from 1730hrs to 2000hrs daily. Visitors can access for 750 points or HKD75 per visitor per day.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 12, 08, 9:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,175
Arrow Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

hi, has anyone have an update with the renovation going on in the hotel? It will be my first time going to Hong kong and I am looking for the good rates available on 1/18-20. Please give me some ideas on how I can get the most experience out of hong kong (and also get the best rates w/ rooms too). Thanks!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 9, 08 at 7:01 pm Reason: Earlier reports can be found at http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897564
anchor79 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 08, 10:22 pm
  #2  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Posts: 2,907
Originally Posted by anchor79 View Post
hi, has anyone have an update with the renovation going on in the hotel? It will be my first time going to Hong kong and I am looking for the good rates available on 1/18-20. Please give me some ideas on how I can get the most experience out of hong kong (and also get the best rates w/ rooms too). Thanks!
can't help you on the rates. part of the hotel is out of service due to exterior repairs. last month that meant that the suites on the back of the hotel were out of service so the suite upgrades were hard to get. platinums got harbor view upgrades only. if it is your first time then you actually want the harbor view upgrade as the view is spectacular. they tell me this will go on until the end of march. you can upgrade to the towers for 2500 points per night up front and 1500 at the desk when you check in if available. as a first time visitor i would probably do this. in december the bar downstairs was still closed. if you want a beer, walk up nathan road 2 blocks to the holiday inn golden mile and go to hari's on the mezzanine. trust me. other than that if you are in the windowless platinum lounge on the 9th floor say hello to may lam the spg coordinator for the hotel for me.
abk is offline  
Old Jan 21, 08, 2:04 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Posts: 335
We have just booked three nights at Sheraton Hong Kong using SPG50 for 1,500 HK per night for room (did not opt for the 2,100 for the tower room). Need advice to see if 600 HK per night is worth it to be in the towers. We are SPG Platinum. Thanks for any advice.
sink is offline  
Old Jan 21, 08, 3:56 pm
  #4  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Posts: 2,907
Originally Posted by sink View Post
We have just booked three nights at Sheraton Hong Kong using SPG50 for 1,500 HK per night for room (did not opt for the 2,100 for the tower room). Need advice to see if 600 HK per night is worth it to be in the towers. We are SPG Platinum. Thanks for any advice.
those spg50 awards are hard to get at this hotel. may i ask when your trip is?
as a platinum you will get a free continental breakfast in the coffee shop and access to the 9th floor platinum lounge which has snacks and free drinks at happy hour. you will have to pay for internet access.

if you upgrade to the towers you will get to have a continental breakfast in the sky lounge with a beautiful view of the harbour. at happy hour you will have access to the towers lounge on top of the hotel with a great view. food is slightly better as are the drink selections. internet is included in the towers rate as well as 100hkd for laundry per day.

internet access is expensive--something like 120 hkd a day- so that brings the difference down if you need access. my advice is if you are a first time visitor and want a special experience then spend the extra money. otherwise you will just feel like you are in a nice sheraton hotel. the towers makes for a better experience.
abk is offline  
Old Jan 21, 08, 4:15 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Posts: 335
Originally Posted by abk View Post
those spg50 awards are hard to get at this hotel. may i ask when your trip is?

2/29/08 for three nights.
sink is offline  
Old Jan 21, 08, 4:31 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,026
Originally Posted by abk View Post
those spg50 awards are hard to get at this hotel. may i ask when your trip is?
Back in Dec when I was planning for a Jan trip (now pushed off to Feb), I called SPG and gave them a bunch of dates in Jan and they all had the SPG50 available.

So I think since Jan/Feb is the slow season, the Hotel offers them. Probably the time around Chinese New Years it wont
craz is online now  
Old Jan 22, 08, 7:44 am
  #7  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Posts: 2,907
Originally Posted by sink View Post
2/29/08 for three nights.
i check in 3/2 for 6 nights so maybe i will see you. i will be in the main hotel.

edited to add: thanks by the way, i was able to use two 50% off certs to get my rate down 400 hkd a night. i stay at this hotel alot and gave up even asking for the spg 50 years ago.

Last edited by abk; Jan 22, 08 at 12:13 pm
abk is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 12:42 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Posts: 335
Originally Posted by abk View Post
i check in 3/2 for 6 nights so maybe i will see you. i will be in the main hotel.

.
Do you recommend using the SPG50 rate at 2,100 for Tower rooms per night or just stay at the 1,500 standard?
sink is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 8:08 am
  #9  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Posts: 2,907
Originally Posted by sink View Post
Do you recommend using the SPG50 rate at 2,100 for Tower rooms per night or just stay at the 1,500 standard?
if you are a first time visitor, or looking for more of a special experience i would pay the extra money. if you are a platinum then you will get breakfast and access to an acceptable lounge with no view no matter what and the rooms are more or less the same in either place. if you intend to use internet access or do laundry then the 600 per night difference shrinks to 600-120 for free internet-100 for daily laundry credit to 380. now your at 50 bucks- so i would probably do it. personally, i generally travel with other platinums who do not upgrade to the towers but when i am alone i use points to do it. i believe it is 2500 points in advance or 1500 if available at check in. hope this helps.
abk is offline  
Old Jan 23, 08, 10:29 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,175
I just came back from the trip (1/18-20, 2 nights). I was upgraded to the room with xx89 prior to check in. Since I was travelling with my mother so this actually works better for me. I rather have a separate room instead of staying in the same room for more privacy. The room is clean and very spacious. The contiential breakfast on the 2F is great. I don't think its necessary to eat the full buffet since there are so much things to eat outside the hotel. If you are staying at the regular portion of the hotel, you can go up to the 17F and take pics from the rooftop pool, its nice too!

If you are asking me if I want a suite or pay extra for tower room...I would say suite is better for the value. Its just my 2c.
anchor79 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 08, 11:24 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 41
Any recent updates on stargold benefits at this hotel? I have booked what I assume will be a basic room using points for 3 nights in mid February. Should I expect any room upgrade? I assume all Harbourview rooms are in the Towers portion of the hotel. If no upgrade offered, does anyone know how much HK$ they would charge to upgrade to a Harbourview room when originally booking was made using points?

Thanks in advance.
Vacationtraveler is offline  
Old Feb 4, 08, 1:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The City of Angels
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Gold
Posts: 403
Originally Posted by Vacationtraveler View Post
Any recent updates on stargold benefits at this hotel? I have booked what I assume will be a basic room using points for 3 nights in mid February. Should I expect any room upgrade? I assume all Harbourview rooms are in the Towers portion of the hotel. If no upgrade offered, does anyone know how much HK$ they would charge to upgrade to a Harbourview room when originally booking was made using points?
It's been a few years since I've stayed here as a gold (and in anywhere but the Towers), but I used to received a very modest upgrade as a gold (i.e. I would be given a room overlooking Nathan Road with a slight view of the Harbor while paying for courtyard view). The Towers are just the top couple floors of the Sheraton, so there are Harborview rooms in the regular part of the hotel, although they will be obstructed by the Intercontinental and the Space museum.

I don't know what the hotel would charge for a harborview upgrade on a points reservation, but you can also use points to upgrade to the next room level. It's only a couple thousand points per night. IMO, I would probably use the points to upgrade to the Towers section of the hotel. Even though I get a lot of bennies automatically for being platinum (like free breakfast), I consider the extra cost to upgrade to the Towers well worth it. Even if you wouldn't get a Harborview room in the Towers, you could still get the view in the lounge, which has the best view in the entire hotel.
el_tigre is offline  
Old Feb 5, 08, 5:15 pm
  #13  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Posts: 1,810
Very long thread and lots of views, opinions and 1st hand experiences.... ^

I'm presently SPG Gold and made reservations for 3 rooms for last week of March08 for the basic hotel room aka lowest available price.

However I am going to reach SPG Plat end Feb2008.

1) As naive as this may sound, as Plat what should I be expecting as an upgrade, if any?

It's unlikely I will have my newly Plat card before my check-in (as it takes 4-6weeks in the post) so can't exactly flash it around at check-in.....

Last edited by alanslegal; Feb 5, 08 at 6:12 pm
alanslegal is offline  
Old Feb 5, 08, 5:59 pm
  #14  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
...It's unlikely I will have my newly Plat card before my check-in (as it takes 4-6weeks in the post) so can't exactly flash it around at check-in.....
Sure you can flash it around at check-in. Just print a copy of it to a color printer from the web site. Laminate. Flash. Simple.

But, I would still give the hotel a call a few days before arrival after your upgrade in status happens and ask them to refresh your status in their in-house system so it reads Platinum on their end. That way they can properly prepare for your arrival in advance.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Feb 5, 08, 6:14 pm
  #15  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Posts: 1,810
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
Sure you can flash it around at check-in. Just print a copy of it to a color printer from the web site. Laminate. Flash. Simple.

But, I would still give the hotel a call a few days before arrival after your upgrade in status happens and ask them to refresh your status in their in-house system so it reads Platinum on their end. That way they can properly prepare for your arrival in advance.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Thanks for the heads up Starwood Lurker
alanslegal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: