FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]
Old Jan 24, 2009, 2:45 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by kluau88
As for food, how can you fault the hotel for the quality since they don't operate the restaurants. If the rooms had issues then I could see one being upset, but you're talking about a restaurant that's run by someone else.
The fact that a hotel restaurant is "run by someone else" is no excuse, assuming the hotel as any say in who leases the space. I could imagine some unusual situation where the hotel is just a tenant in the building that's owned by someone else, and that landlord has sole discretion in leasing out restaurant space. But in most cases, a restaurant in a hotel building is leasing the space from the hotel. The hotel leases that space in order for there to be food service available to the hotel guests. The fact that they choose not to manage the restaurant themselves doesn't IMHO remove them from responsibility.

It reminds me of situations where you encounter a problem with a vending machine on a guest floor, and the front desk tells you "Oh, that has nothing to do with us - an outside vendor handles those machines. Call the phone number on the front of the machine if you have an issue." This has happened to me more than once. Am I to believe that the vending machine company has some sort of easement on each floor of the hotel, such that they can place machines there without approval of the hotel? The fact that the hotel decided to sub out the maintenance of the vending machines to a third party (presumably for the hotel's convenience or efficiency) in no way removes them from the chain of responsibility to the guest.