Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:55 pm

Thumbs up

First of all, you gotta stay at the W or Sheraton Suites hotel. Just book the AAA rate and ask for a corner roombetween the 20th and 24th floor, donīt need to be a gold or platinum member to stay there. room number #2316 or #2318. Youīll have an exceptional view over the bay all the way to Coronado!!! Check it out!!!

Chec out 5th AVE and Broadway, the restaurant & club is called "Yardhouse" -great food and drinks, I think you have like 125 draft beers on tab....

Originally Posted by Vader
Hi All:

I have looked through a lot of the threads about the SPG properties in San Diego, but wanted to get your input...

Taking my wife for her 30th birthday, will get there on December 7th and leave on the 10th. We like to walk around cities and use public transit whenever possible. Things we would probably do in SD include kayaking in the bay, visiting the zoo and possible Sea World.... other than that maybe some museums in Balboa park and shopping.

Trying to be reasonable about the price as I am already flying her there in FC...

So far the rates are:
W SD - $225 per night using an SPG50 reward that I got for free
Horton Plaza - $189 per night using AAA discount
Shertaton Suites - $179 per night using AAA discount
Marina - $125 prepaid for Friday and Saturday - find something else for Thursday. This is a limited view room in the West tower. Not sure if being Gold I could get a better room on check in??

Any thoughts or opinions as to what I should choose given what we want to do??

Thanks,

Vader
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum, AA Plat
I second all the opinions on the W.

Avoid the Sheraton Mission Valley at all costs. I just got back from a stay there, and the hotel is definitely showing its age. The staff were not very friendly either. The location is OK for driving places (right near 163 and I-8), but I'd much rather be downtown than at the intersection of two major highways.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Stayed at W San Diego last weekend for one night. Agree with comments posted here. The Kool Corner Room is pretty cool indeed. But the restaurant (Rice) was close last Sunday due to "some" problems at the kitchen. It's nowhere near the tourist area but Gaslamp district is still within walking distance (10-15min). You can take the trolley (light rail) to some tourist attractions. For $5, you can get a day pass that can even get you to the Mexican border and you can cross the border to do some bargain shopping without paying insurance (you need to buy insurance if you drive across the border). http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Infor...Trolleymap.asp
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Duplicate deleted.

Last edited by rmbl; Dec 2, 2006 at 8:43 am
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The Sheraton San Diego Marina is a bit isolated (it's on the far side of the airport from everything, and you'll wind up taking cabs or, as an alternative, use the hotel's shuttle to the airport and take public transit from there). A cab to Balboa park is about $10-12, and the price difference in the rooms will easily make up for that. Read this thread, particularly post #21, for a description of the place. And the hotel has a free airport shuttle, which, again, could offset some local ground transit expenses.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:45 am

Programs: A few
I'll be staying in SD for a few nights in February as well, was contemplating the US Grant, Westin Horton Plaza, or the W.

From the looks of what everybody has said here, it's making me lean more towards and Westin.

Cheers,

Adrian
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:14 am

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I have stayed at both the W and Sheraton Suites. The W is fun, while the standars suites at the Sheraton are pretty small.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by schriste
The corner rooms at the W SD are very, very nice. One of my favorite Starwood rooms. Worth the modest extra cost over a standard room. The Westin is like a 5 minute walk from the W, so at least in my mind the location is not that much of an issue... unless you are on crutches.
A 5 minute walk past the county jail and through not a great area of SD.

The Westin has excellent service and better location for walking around.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Any reviews of the US Grant? Heading to San Diego right after Christmas for the Holiday Bowl with my family, and looking at an award reservation there. It sounds like the hotel has a fair number of suites - any experience with Plat upgrades?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K, *Silve, UA Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Preferred Plus, a bunch of other
TRIP REPORT

Our stay at Westin Horton Plaza was great! As everyone said, it is in a great location and you can walk almost anywhere downtown.

We used public transit ($15 pass for 4 days) for other areas and it was easy
1 bus from the airport to 1 block from the hotel - 15 minutes
1 bus to the zoo - 20 minutes
1 bus to La Jolla - 50 minutes - this was way too long, but my wife wanted to try it.... it is a beautiful area and the waves were huge. Have never seen anyone body surfing in such big waves!!
1 train to Old Town - 12 minutes...

Sent an email to the regular address for the hotel and was upgraded from a traditional room to a deluxe room on the top floor - Room 1606. It was a corner room with lots of space, extra chairs and a view out to the bay. Water in the room everyday as well as trials of an energy drink and a yoga drink (don't ask).

Water also available for free in small bottles throughout the day in the lobby, and large bottles of an energy drink also available for the joggers :-)

I would definitely recomend it...

Vader

Last edited by Vader; Dec 12, 2006 at 9:24 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Thanks for reporting back Vader^
My family has visited every *W property in San Diego this year, except for the US Grant, and we think the Westin Horton Plaza is a terrific choice as well (especially for families). Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Vader
TRIP REPORT

Sent an email to the regular address for the hotel and was upgraded from a traditional room to a deluxe room on the top floor - Room 1606. It was a corner room with lots of space, extra chairs and a view out to the bay. Water in the room everyday as well as trials of an energy drink and a yoga drink (don't ask).
Vader
I'm just curious what you meant by sending an email to the hotel.

Was it a request to be upgraded, or more in general...just out of general wonder...
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E35K, *Silve, UA Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Preferred Plus, a bunch of other
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I'm just curious what you meant by sending an email to the hotel.

Was it a request to be upgraded, or more in general...just out of general wonder...
Sent an email to [email protected] to ask if a room upgrade would be possible given my Gold status.... and the fact that it was my wife's 30th birthday. Seeing as you are supposed to be upgraded to a preferred room with Gold Status, I didn't think the request was out of line. If I am travelling on business I don't bother and take whatever they give me, but because of the wife's birthday, I made the request.

When I booked the room it was a traditional room, but after I emailed in the request, my online reservation details changed to a deluxe room a few days later. Did not get a confirmation to my request though, it just happened.

Vader

Last edited by Vader; Dec 13, 2006 at 2:14 pm Reason: added more detail
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
US Grant - Great!

Checked in to the US Grant today - staying on Starpoints with family. Upgraded to a beautiful "Signature Suite" - with living / dining room, HUGE shower with 6 shower heads, great carpets, etc. The hotel is very nice - brand new, very friendly staff, well located. Hotel doesn't seem too busy, but this one is definitely at the top of my list in San Diego!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:37 am

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Originally Posted by McGoGo56
I second all the opinions on the W.

Avoid the Sheraton Mission Valley at all costs. I just got back from a stay there, and the hotel is definitely showing its age. The staff were not very friendly either. The location is OK for driving places (right near 163 and I-8), but I'd much rather be downtown than at the intersection of two major highways.
I just returned from a two day stay at the Sheraton Mission Valley. Both rooms (girlfriend and I took 4 kids) were upgraded to jr. suites on 14. The club lounge was closed due to the holiday, so the front desk gave us drink coupons for the bar each night, and breakfast buffet coupons each morning.
Staff was very friendly and addressed me by name the whole time.

The hotel is a bit tired, but the location is very close to sea world, Balboa Park (and zoo), and with the kids, it worked out great. And you can't beat the price, when doing Cash and Points. However, for a romantic weekend away, I suggest one of the downtown hotels. I wish SPG had a property in La Jolla.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.