Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
Checked in to the US Grant today - staying on Starpoints with family. Upgraded to a beautiful "Signature Suite" - with living / dining room, HUGE shower with 6 shower heads, great carpets, etc. The hotel is very nice - brand new, very friendly staff, well located. Hotel doesn't seem too busy, but this one is definitely at the top of my list in San Diego!
Did the just give it to you, or did you have to request it? I'm checking in with my family tomorrow
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:57 pm

I'm planning to book a 3 night award stay in San Diego, and all the downtown hotels cost 10K points/night. I'm currently leaning toward the US Grant, but I don't have status and would not expect an upgrade. Would appreciate any other reviews of this particular hotel vs. the others.

As an aside, I found it strange that ALL the downtown hotels were at the same level. I'm sure this will change with the upcoming devaluation, so I'm hoping to lock in a good value while I still can. It seems that the W and US Grant should be a level above the others, if only based on their typical rates.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles, AAdvantage, SPG, Hilton HHonours, FPC
Recommendations for San Diego?

Taking our kids - 8 and 4 to San Diego in August - looking to stay in the city area for 4 nights or so (Zoo, Sea World, Legolabd, Balboa Park etc).

Would appreciate recommendations on which SPG property to stay at - we have just over 50,000 points accumulated

Cheers
jaysue
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Are you looking for luxury or convenience? If luxury, with the kids, I would stay away from the W. Might suggest the Westin Horton Plaza.

If convenience, any of the Sheratons would be good, with the Sheraton Suites allowing you all to stay most comfortably in one room.

Would suggest you lock in one of these properties tonight as some of the properties may be going up in category tomorrow.

Also, with SPG, the 5th night is free on an award stay, so you may want to consider doing a 5 night stay.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jaysue
Taking our kids - 8 and 4 to San Diego in August - looking to stay in the city area for 4 nights or so (Zoo, Sea World, Legolabd, Balboa Park etc).

Would appreciate recommendations on which SPG property to stay at - we have just over 50,000 points accumulated

Cheers
jaysue

Welcome to FT.

its always suggested you do a search first.

If you do a search using the words "san diego" you come up with a bunch of great information. Here is one for starters.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ight=san+diego
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles, AAdvantage, SPG, Hilton HHonours, FPC
Thanks for the search thread - yep missed doing that first

Follow up question - my kids love trolleys and streetcars - does that help narrow down recommendations to specific properties other than mentioned?

Never been to SoCal - we are looking forward to it!

Cheers
jaysue
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Downtown is fairly compact and thus you could easily get to the trolley from the US Grant, W and Westin (and maybe from the Suites, I just don't know where it is). The marina would not be convenient.

We stayed at the US Grant and my 2 year old was obsessed with the train, which we rode 5 times. You can go all the way to San Ysidro (Mexican border) for $1.50 - what a great deal! One thing to keep in mind is that the trolley ticket machines can't give more than $10 in change, so keep some $5s & $10s handy
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:51 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I've got an upcoming stay in SD April. To me, a room is a room. Most important to me is breakfast so I can bank some per diem. Any of the hotels have comp breakfast (in a lounge, I'm assuming) for plat? I'm trying to get away from Hilton ... but they keep pulling me back in! (with breakfast!). Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Uniter
I've got an upcoming stay in SD April. To me, a room is a room. Most important to me is breakfast so I can bank some per diem. Any of the hotels have comp breakfast (in a lounge, I'm assuming) for plat? I'm trying to get away from Hilton ... but they keep pulling me back in! (with breakfast!). Thanks.
The Sheraton Suites gives Plats a free continental breakfast.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:53 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We live in San Diego and have stayed at almost all of the SD properties.

Here's our take:

Westin: It has been over 5 years since we stayed at the Westin. At the time the rooms were rather "tired." We were not Plats yet (we were Gold).
We did not receive an upgrade.

Sheraton Hotel & Marina: We just tried this hotel for the first time in January and were pleasantly surprised. We were curious what type of room we would get on a $109 internet special. We were upgraded to a great room in the West Tower with a beautiful water view. It was one of the best Starwood deals we've found

W: I have mixed feelings about this W. We've stayed there at least 4 times.
We typically love W hotels-- but the rooms at this W aren't as comfortable as other Ws. One of things I like about other Ws are the plush chairs or loveseats and the heavy black-out drapes. This W goes for a beach theme with white shutters instead of drapes and a window seat. It looks good but it's not as comfortable. We've always booked a Kool Korner and never been upgraded. One time we pre-booked a suite (can only be done through the hotel) It's a good location if you're visiting the Gaslamp or Old Globe theater. The staff is great.

US Grant: We've only stayed here once, but we're planning to visit again in May (it's walking distance from the opera). We used our free nights from a promo for the stay (back when it was a cat 4) and we couldn't have been happier- we loved this place. The rooms are gorgeous-- they upgraded us to a Legacy Suite. The service was impeccable.

Here are some of our photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourshot...7600007642311/

I'm also very curious about the new hotel tha't opening in May -- the Emerald Plaza. It's in the same vicinity as the W, the Westin and the Grant (and a Sheraton) Looks as if it may be the tallest (best views?) Plus, I love new hotels.

There isn't much info (photos- room descriptions) on the website yet, but right now it's a cat 4 and the prices are reasonable.

Last edited by damon88; Mar 20, 2007 at 12:07 pm
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by damon88
I'm also very curious about the new hotel tha't opening in May -- the Emerald Plaza. It's in the same vicinity as the W, the Westin and the Grant (and a Sheraton) Looks as if it may be the tallest (best views?) Plus, I love new hotels.
I believe this is an existing hotel with change in management. In "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" where the dinosaurs end up rampaging thru downtown San Diego, you see the towers with their green neon trimmed hexagon towers.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:24 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I believe this is an existing hotel with change in management. In "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" where the dinosaurs end up rampaging thru downtown San Diego, you see the towers with their green neon trimmed hexagon towers.

sorry 1K-- when I said "new" I meant "renovated" like the US Grant.

The Grant has been there forever, but all the furnishings etc. are brand new.

Is the Emerald just a management change?

If so, then it's not as interesting to me.

Thanks for the Jurassic Park reference. I love spotting hotels I know in movies. I haven't seen that film in years but I don't remember that.

San Diego doesn't star in as many films as it should (it's so photogenic)
Some Like it Hot, Almost Famous, Traffic ???
Old Apr 19, 2007, 3:06 pm

San Diego

Any promos for extra miles, points, etc for staying in San Diego paying with an AMEX? Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Did you check the promos feature on the spg.com website?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Kobi
Any promos for extra miles, points, etc for staying in San Diego paying with an AMEX? Thanks
Have you:
- checked the "hotel specials" for each property?
- checked www.frequentflyerbonuses.com

Last edited by ldsant; Apr 19, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.