Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2004, 4:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I didn't get a suite but the "Kool Korner" which they have plenty of really are cool. They have a huge bathroom with double doors and a big tub for two. They have separate shower with the big rain dome shower head. Also you have a nice window seat in the bedroom. The room is better than many suites I have received at other hotels. The room is large for two people. Also the bar area is "the place" to be, and I am sure it will be rocking after the marathon if bars are your scene.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know when you're getting married, and too early to book even if you were interested, but the famous and historic U.S. Grant Hotel is currently undergoing extensive renovation and is scheduled to reopen in early 2005 as a Luxury Collection property.

Imagine it will be pretty spectacular when it opens it's doors.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PremEx
Don't know when you're getting married, and too early to book even if you were interested, but the famous and historic U.S. Grant Hotel is currently undergoing extensive renovation and is scheduled to reopen in early 2005 as a Luxury Collection property.

Imagine it will be pretty spectacular when it opens it's doors.
Darn, that's too bad! We're getting married next month (eek!), so W is the plan. Looking forward to our stay!
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:10 pm

the W

I was at the W two weeks ago and it was the nicest W I've been to yet. The employees were very outgoing and pleasant. The beach bar is very cool. The new WOW suite is incredible. I stayed next door as they were working on it. I ask one of the workers to peak in to take a look. It is currently marked as room 1910. To give you an idea of the size, it is a cool korner plus a normal room. 2 baths one is huge. I have some pictures I took although they aren't the best quality. The front desk did mention that this suite will only be rented by the general manager and will not be open to just anyone willing to shell out the dollars. I told the check in desk that I'd be asking for 1910 on my return and she just smiled...I think I've had my first and last tour of that room
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:34 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Starwood Preferred, Hilton HHonors
[B]Westin Horton Plaza[/B]

I'm scheduled to stay there over the Fourth of July wkend and will let you know how it goes on a busy holiday wkend.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:16 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by jiggs
I was at the W two weeks ago and it was the nicest W I've been to yet. The employees were very outgoing and pleasant. The beach bar is very cool. The new WOW suite is incredible. I stayed next door as they were working on it. I ask one of the workers to peak in to take a look. It is currently marked as room 1910. To give you an idea of the size, it is a cool korner plus a normal room. 2 baths one is huge. I have some pictures I took although they aren't the best quality. The front desk did mention that this suite will only be rented by the general manager and will not be open to just anyone willing to shell out the dollars. I told the check in desk that I'd be asking for 1910 on my return and she just smiled...I think I've had my first and last tour of that room
Besides the WOW Suite they're also suppose to be building a day spa too! Just makes a great property even better!
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:42 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I remain a fan of the Sheraton San Diego Suites and even more so for Platinum members.
They have the great Sweet Sleeper beds and a great location if you have a car.
Which I always do.
Its out of the way just enough to not be in some of the higher traffic blocks just seconds away.Location works great for me
Free breakfast for Platinums and complimentary self parking.
Or discount on Valet parking instead of self
Slightly better rates also. Its a good value property in SD
While their have been mixed reviews I have had a responsive and caring staff each and every time.
Never had to use the Sheraton promise here as the staff is proactive in solving the problem rather then letting points speak for the defects.
A great case of where the Sheraton Service promise shines .

The W SD also has a great staff and a more fun atmosphere
But I had concerns during my stay. Noise from the street and shutters on the windows that allow for a very bright room when waking up in the morning.
Other defects plagued my stay but the staff won me over.
If your not a light sleeper the W can win you over too
Have a great stay in whatever property you choose.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Sheraton Suites is a very nice propery and if you are PLAT theygivve u a free buffet breakfast and you are no more than a 5 minute walk from the downtown core.
Great property!!!!!!
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:12 am
Original Poster

How much is parking at the W? Also, is street parking easy to find?
Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by bigjim
Trying to secure a room for August 7-11. Best rate that I can find is $275 prepaid. Anyone know of a better rate out there for this hotel, other than points. This, unfortunately, is a business trip and I refuse to stay at the Town and Country Hotel where the conference is being held.
I did a search today for your dates and found it for $229 a night.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by phoney
I did a search today for your dates and found it for $229 a night.
Where did you search? I tried just now and the best rate after doing all of the gyrations that I could come up with was $264 fully prepaid internet rate.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:46 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by subdawg
How much is parking at the W? Also, is street parking easy to find?
I seem to recall seeing it somewhere in the neighborhood of $26/day. There are some lots right next to the W that offer parking although I don't know what the rates are.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Update on my wedding night stay

For a bit of background, I had originally booked Fri & Sat night using my free award nights. 3 wks prior, I had spoken to the manager about changing it to just a Sat night stay. She confirmed the change for me so I was set. She also noted that I would get a Kool Korner suite as well as champagne, etc.

So ~8pm on Sat, we are headed towards the hotel after a nice & long wedding. On the way, I check my voicemail...it turns out the W left a msg saying there was some sort of mixup w/my reservation & I didn't have one anymore! Apparently, I was supposed to check in Fri (not Sat) & it got cancelled. I found out later that the reason why they "caught" it, was b/c my friend who was also staying at the W, was trying to arrange for breakfast for us. So I call the manager (we are about 10 min away from the hotel by then), & basically they have no room for us. He was finally able to find a standard one, but of course I was disappointed & upset that for such a special stay, I couldn't get the Kool Korner I was promised. Anyway, he felt really bad & ended up comping the room for the night & taking care of dinner...which was very nice of him. However, going through that situation was not the best thing.

All in all, a nice stay, but I still wished I got to experience the Kool Korner room!
Old Sep 18, 2004, 6:22 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
I've been to San Diego several times. I'm actually in the Four Points Rancho Bernardo right now. I've stayed here, the Hilton Del Mar, the Marriott downtown (with the marina behind it), Marriott Solana Beach, and the Hyatt by Sea World.

I have never been treated so well in any town in my life. I have yet to have a bad experience at any hotel in San Diego. You head a little north into LA county and you get burned by every hotel. But I really have never had a bad hotel experience in SD (yet).

FYI the Four Points Rancho Bernardo has free internet, they comped me a breakfast, and has only like two suites (both for weddings this weekend) so I got no upgrade. But the staff is friendly, and the parking is free. And the campus looks REALLY nice and the neighborhood is supposed to be one of the highest per capita income neighborhoods in the world.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 2:14 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
OK I take back most of what I said about the four points rancho bernardo.

I got in from a night out with clients at roughly 5:15am I think. I was woken up at 7am by a fire alarm that lasted just long enough for me to get dressed, walk down a couple flights of stairs, and step one step right in front of the exit door.

I somehow managed to get back to sleep, and then at 12:10 the phone rang. It was the front desk asking "When are you planning to check out?" I responded with "I'm platinum. Whenever the **** I feel like checking out. Don't you see that in your computer or are you too stupid to read?"

I'm not a nice person in the mornings. Especially when I'm right and someone's stupidity disturbs me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.