FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/625292-san-diego-general-discussion-thread-hotel-better-etc-master-thread.html)

subdawg Apr 15, 2004 9:24 am

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

We are getting married in SD, and weren't sure what is considered the best *wood property there. So far we have reservations at the W, but is the Westin Horton Plaza nicer? Who treats Platinums better? Thanks!

tiger1tony Apr 15, 2004 9:53 am

W Hotel San Diego - Incredible

I just spent a week at the W Hotel in San Diego. I've stayed in a number of W's and I can honestly say that, as a Platinum member, I have never been treated better.

It started with my very late arrival on a Friday night. Understandably, there were no upgrades available, but the manager had already put a letter of apology in my room with a coupon for a drink at the bar.

Check in was quick and courteous and I was actually asked what I would like as my platinum amenity, something that never happens when i stay at the W Times Square NY.

I had to check out in the middle of the week for a conference and returned for the weekend. I was upgraded to a very nice suite. Again, check in was great.

There is a bit of a downside - While the Westin is conveniently located next to Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp district, the W is 5 blocks away (10 minutes). There isnt terribly much around the W, other than some office buildings, but if you're going to San Diego to see the sights, that shouldn't matter much.

couscous Apr 15, 2004 10:06 am

W San Diego without any question. Try it, you will love it.

PresRDC Apr 15, 2004 10:31 am

I'll third the reccomendation for the W San Diego. Simply an excellent hotel. Definately in my top 10 for Starwood hotels and a contender for top 5.

roesner Apr 15, 2004 10:56 am

I have nothing to add but "forthing" the above comments.

And congratulations, of course !

subdawg Apr 15, 2004 12:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your FB! W it is! :)

prncess674 Apr 15, 2004 12:35 pm

This is my Favorite W of all time. Love it! Love it! Love it!

kluau88 Apr 15, 2004 8:21 pm

Another vote for the W!

Check this thread for comments about my superb stay last week.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174167

dontsaystewardess Apr 17, 2004 7:16 am

W SD Rocks!!

You will not be disappointed!! ^ ^

suitestay Apr 18, 2004 8:51 pm

Subdawg,

I too got married in SD and I wish there was such a thing as the W back then! You will be treated nice!

polin001 Apr 28, 2004 3:16 pm

W SD is the one for you

I agree with everyone else. W San Diego is one of the best city hotels anywhere.

jen80370 Apr 30, 2004 10:40 am

Another amen to the W San Diego chorus!

The corner rooms are AWESOME!

bigjim Apr 30, 2004 2:00 pm

W San Diego it is - decent rate?

Trying to secure a room for August 7-11. Best rate that I can find is $275 prepaid. Anyone know of a better rate out there for this hotel, other than points. This, unfortunately, is a business trip and I refuse to stay at the Town and Country Hotel where the conference is being held.

cawhite May 2, 2004 8:24 pm

Absolutely love the W San Diego! Have stayed there a couple times now and loved it!!!!! Unless I want to stay on Coronado for some reason, this is now the only SAN hotel I'll stay at if I have a choice!

JNelson113 May 25, 2004 4:04 pm

I am considering staying here over June 4-7, which is the weekend of the Rock and Roll marathon in San Diego. Any guesses as to what kind of an upgrade I can expect as a platinum? I will be traveling with a friend and REALLY want a suite. If I'm unlikely to get one here, I'd be tempted to stay in another property which has more suites. All Starwoods are available that weekend.