Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Anyone know exactly what the deal is with the U.S. Grant? I didn't realize they were part of starwood... I called them directly, asked for reservations, and after they said they were sold out they asked if I was a member of Starwood. I said yes, gave them my number, they saw that I was platinum and I got a room.

I see message earlier in the thread about renovations. Anyone know if they are done? The web site looks very impressive for the hotel, so maybe they're finished with whatever renovations they were doing?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Any updates for 2005?

In two weeks I'll be staying one night at the Suites SD, One at Sheraton Harbor and One at the W.

So is the W and the Suites still a great place for a plat? One thing that could sway me all things being equal is the free parking for plats that I read in one thread at the Suites. I don't have any intention of paying $26 to park for 12 hours at the W.

those were choices all made prior to reading this thread. I haven't seen anything commented in hear on the Sheraton Harbor. anyone???

It appears that the Suites and W are great. However it also appears that the W had quite a few more kudos than the suites. I can do these hotels in any order that I want, or pick the same one.. meaning its all my choice.. for the record, I have all three of these at the same rate and "think" that I can get them for the same rate as well on most of the stays in question regardless of the above properties.

thanks
Old Feb 2, 2005, 4:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat., HH Silver
sheraton suites

I stayed there over 50 days last year -- excellent staff and rooms are decent. The lobby bar, however, needs work and is nothing in comparison to the scene at the W down the street.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by bworrell
I see message earlier in the thread about renovations. Anyone know if they are done? The web site looks very impressive for the hotel, so maybe they're finished with whatever renovations they were doing?
They closed for the renovations at the start of this week and will no re-open until at least July 2005.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:52 pm

Arrow San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) Master Thread

Which hotel should I stay at W or Westin - what are the benefits of both and which has a better pool?
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:35 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I've only stayed at the W, but the pool isn't that large. They have a "beach" on the roof which is a pretty happening place on the weekends. I've always been upgraded to a Kool Korner Room or one of their Suites. Overall a very nice place!

There's no sort of club lounge if that's what you're looking for at the W. I haven't been there since July, but I don't remember if free WiFi was available in the living room area.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:56 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I have stayed at the W and the Sheraton Suites. They are about 4 blocks from each other. The W has a beach, which is sort of cool, but it is loud on the weekends. I did not get an upgraded room, but the room we had was standard issue. Nice bed, and a nice bed for the dog. On Saturday night, we were out walking in front of the hotel and someone who was visiting the lobby bar passed out on the sidewalk and had to be taken to the hospital, so that was a little weird. But overall the staff was very friendly and the hotel was very nice and hip. I also enjoyed the Sheraton because of the room size, and it was a very quiet hotel. You also get a nice welcome letter from the manager if you are Gold/Plat. The Sheraton looks a little older, and its lobby is on the 12th floor and rooms go up to the 27th floor. I did not go to the pool or work out rooms, so I can't comment on them. The bellmen are pretty bad, but if you just ignore them, they tend to ignore you. Overall though, the Sheraton offers more bang for your buck, IMO.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:58 am

Location: CGN (Cologne, Germany), travel agent, hardcore Sabre user
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, LH, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, AX Centurion
Stayed at the Westin over Christmas. The location is perfect! Horton Plaza (a nice open air shopping mall) is adjacent and a zillion restaurants are in walking distance.

They have a small outdoor "rooftop" pool, but on the roof of a lower level floor. Nothing spectacular. Didn't use it because it was too cold outside.

Overall a very nice place.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:15 am

Pools

U say there is a beach on the roof at the W - is this for use during the day? How is the pool at the W and how far are the beaches?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:32 pm

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
W SAN Beach Bar

The Beach referred to in the previous posts is actually the Beach Bar. It is open during the day, weather permitting. It has heated sand (SAN is chilly at night) a fire pit and cabannas. When it first opened it was popular with the downtown lawyers and local professionals. The scene's changed a bit. It's a cool spot to visit though. My only gripe is the plastic cups they serve the drinks in.

This W is, in my opinion, the best in the entire chain. Service is consistantly excellent. They treat their regulars like royalty. I always look forward to staying there.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
San Diego Locations - Proximity To Trolley Line(s)

Of the four "central, mainline" SPG locations (S Suites, S Marina, Westin, W), which has the best access to the trolley lines that go to the Tijuiana border and also to Mission Valley?

Thanks as always for your help.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA 2P, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Can't speak for the Sheraton hotels, but trolley access from the W and the Westin could not be easier - both are within two blocks of blue line (the line that takes you to Mission Valley and TJ) trolley stops.

I imagine that getting to the trolley from the Sheraton Suites is similarly easy, since downtown San Diego is very compact and served by multiple trolley stops.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Are you talking about the Sheraton Symphony Towers? That's in front of the trolley as well. The Marina hotel is very far from trolleys because it's in the bay, so one of the downtown hotels should be fine.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:05 pm

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
The Marina hotels are not near the trolleys. Any of the downtown hotels would be fine.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:50 pm

Arrow San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) Master Thread

Anyone know of any tips on getting good rates at a downtown Starwood San Diego in July? I don't have that many points just yet. I'm new around here and would love some tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.