Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why must it be a Westin? The U S Grant (LC) is unique and lovely. There are also other Starwood choices in the area. Maybe some of the other locations would be more convenient, such as La Jolla.
I was also going to suggest the Grant, but maybe cost is an issue, considering this is a 10 night stay.

If the OP is traveling alone, I would hotel hop, since all the Downtown San Diego properties are so close.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
I have stayed at the W (solo, for work) and the US Grant (family of 4, non-work). I used SNAs for the Grant and Plat upgrade for the W. I threw a curveball at them and added a night to the front of the Grant stay and they put us in a large double king room the first night and then a suite with 2 roll aways the second. For a family stay, I really like this hotel for its size and location. The W was fine but just a bit tougher with kids. I was moved into a corner suite (although not a true suite with a separate bedroom).

I had a car during the non-work trip. You can park on the street with some planning. Most of the parking 3-4 blocks north are every other day restrictions so you can leave it overnight and into the morning if you plan ahead. Also note that free parking is available in front of condos and houses of worship (usually no parking restrictions). We did a bunch of driving like going to Coronado, etc. Note, Coronado has a ton of free parking along the beach.

Coming from NY, parking lots operate a little differently. Like not all of them are open 7 days a week or 24 hours. Otherwise, Uber is your friend. You very inexpensive friend.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:17 pm

Any word on the new Four Points Seaworld? Seems to be a former Hampton Inn:

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourp...ropertyID=4158

I got an $88 rate...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:14 pm

Since there hasn't been activity in this in a while, checking to see which SPG, Marriott or Hyatt in San Diego folks recommend for families on points - size of rooms, likelihood of getting suites, quality of pool, free breakfast, etc. Gold status for all
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:08 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Can only speak for SPG- since we don't have experience at the Hyatts or Marriotts here--but have stayed at most of the San Diego Starwood properties. Our favorite for couples is definitely the US Grant- it's a beautiful property with top notch service.

For families though, I would definitely recommend the Sheraton SD Hotel & Marina. There are two towers to choose between- Marina and Bay--We prefer the more laid back Bay Tower. Nice views, central location, good Platinum recognition.

The Grant is a much more upscale property but with kids I would opt for the more casual bayside hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.