Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
San Diego Properties - MASTER THREAD

The wife and I are headed down to SD area for a couple of days of sun and fun. I read some of the threads on SD * wood hotels, but none seem to be close to the beach. Is this assessment correct? Which SD hotel would be best if the beach is our primary destination.

Are there other *woods nearby that are more beach-friendly?

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:37 am

Closest to the water would be the Sheraton Marina, but I'm assuming you're looking for a resort type beach

If you don't mind an hour's drive, you could stay at the St Regis Monarch Beach in near Dana Point.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: Amex Cent, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, CO Lifetime Plat, Hertz-Gold
Thumbs up San Diego Properties - MASTER THREAD

Just wanted to give a huge kudos to Starwood (and specifically W San Diego). Just got back from there, and have to say one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. Never been to a W before, but have heard great things so had high expectations, and each of them was met or exceeded. Great staff (very courteous and always had an answer for one of my questions, I was never greeted with an "I Don't Know" or "You Should Talk To So-And-So"), the rooms were very tasteful and well-decorated, and the food at the property was top-notch. Will definitely be returning there, and check out other Ws now that I know they really do live up to the hype.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
TraveltheWorld is correct. Unfortuantely, none of the SD properties offer any resort amenities. The Sheraton Marina is .... as the name implies .... located at a Marina. Some nice water views, but only over the Bay.

If you don;t mind the drive, head up to Dana Point and the Monarch Beach. That is a spectacular property! ^
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Closed due to housekeeping/thread merging project.

ldsant
*wood co-Moderator
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I stayed at the W last month and did not get UG'd as a Plat but no problem with the room. I forgot that I was low on toothpaste and used the whatever whenever service but never received the toothpaste. The GM sent me 5K points for being disappointed.

This last weekend I stayed at the Westin Horton Plaza and had an Executive Room, again no UG. The "free" wireless was useless with very little signal strength, even in the lobby.

I did go over to the US Grant for a couple of Martini's with Blue Cheese stuffed Olives and it was great! I almost booked a room there that night and ran into friends who were on a 'Tea and Tini' visit.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Westin San Diego vs. Westin Horton Plaza

Anyone have any opinions on which to select? I'm plat and staying on points. My specific questons are:
* which is more likely to give an upgrade?
* which has larger standard rooms (should the upgrade not happen)?
* do either have a lounge open on the weekends?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by WestLA-FF
I just returned from a two day stay at the Sheraton Mission Valley. Both rooms (girlfriend and I took 4 kids) were upgraded to jr. suites on 14. The club lounge was closed due to the holiday, so the front desk gave us drink coupons for the bar each night, and breakfast buffet coupons each morning.
Staff was very friendly and addressed me by name the whole time.

The hotel is a bit tired, but the location is very close to sea world, Balboa Park (and zoo), and with the kids, it worked out great. And you can't beat the price, when doing Cash and Points. However, for a romantic weekend away, I suggest one of the downtown hotels. I wish SPG had a property in La Jolla.

On SPG.com this hotel just received a complete renovation. Any updates?

Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:32 pm

This hotel knows how to take care of Plats! It was a great deal when you could get two weekend nights for 6000 points.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by bbbb
This hotel knows how to take care of Plats! It was a great deal when you could get two weekend nights for 6000 points.
My company is paying...Burn my own pts at a later date! ^
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
...US Grant: We've only stayed here once, but we're planning to visit again in May....

Any updates after your May stay? Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I'm attending a conference in San Diego next week and Mrs. tigre and our two kids (under three yo) will be coming down for the weekend. I currently have the Westin Horton Plaza booked for $189 on Fri. & Sat. night. But I now have second thoughts.

While I can't seem to get a better rate, I wonder if the Sheraton Marina might be the better choice. At the Marina, it appears we'll have a better pool, free breakfast, better chance at an upgrade and free parking (we'll have two cars as Mrs. tigre is coming later). Is the Westin just such a better hotel that it negates the Marina's positives? I'll be attending the conference on Sat. during the day, so the family will be on their own (although they plan on going to the zoo). I know there's more to do around Horton Plaza, but is that also true for a family with young kids?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
The Sheraton Marina San diego is great. call reservation and tell them you want the OUTOFTOWN COUNTDOWN2 promotion. if available you can get the room for $139 and a $25 food credit each night. call as soon as possible...
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Beware of Upsells at US Grant Hotel

If you are a platinum looking for an upgrade, beware of the US GRANT Hotel In San Diego's Upsell program.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gabo02
The Sheraton Marina San diego is great. call reservation and tell them you want the OUTOFTOWN COUNTDOWN2 promotion. if available you can get the room for $139 and a $25 food credit each night. call as soon as possible...
gabo02, thanks for the heads up. I called and got the discount, which gets me leaning even more to the Sheraton Marina. But I'd still like to hear anyone else's opinions.

EquityMind, I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the U.S. Grant. That said, you said in another thread you have stayed in all of the San Diego *Woods half a dozen times. Given your level of experience, do you have any thoughts on which hotel would be better for a family with young kids between the Westin Horton Plaza and Sheraton Marina?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.