Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, Harbor Island [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, Harbor Island [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2004, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, Harbor Island [Master Thread]

Hi

I ma looking to book 3 nights at the Sheraton San Diego Marina in July (probably 22nd to 25th).

Does anyone have any opinions on this hotel? It's location (we would be going their as tourists - Sea World, trolley tour, seaport village etc.)? It's fitness centre and pool (is there a charge for using the fitness centre?)? Is it too noisy (i.e. close to the airport)?

I am looking to book a club room. Is the lounge good? Are the rooms nice? Is breakfast nice?

We will have a car - if that is an issue. Is parking expensive?

Alternatively are there any better suggestions for a hotel in the area (given our criteria)?

Thanks,
Boo
(not Starwood Platinum or anything similar...)
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:06 am

Programs: SPG PLAT/Delta PM/Marriot Gold
Pretty convient, very nice view of the marina on the high floors, clean property, little expensive though, but I think you will enjoy it.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We stayed there last summer with my husband's family and I thought it was pretty awful. Had many problems. There is a thread about it around May of 2003.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 3:17 pm

Programs: spg plat, hilton gold, sw
great hotel

I stay at this hotel approximately 30 nights/year. This is an excellent hotel. You should know there are 2 towers. You want the West tower. This is where the better pool, fitness center and Club Level is. If you are not a gold member or higher, the fitness center is $10/day. If you are not gold, your parking will be $14/day I think.

There is not a big difference in the regular to Club Level rooms. So, I would not spend the extra money unless you are set on a high level room. Also, the breakfast for the club level is continental. This hotel does not have a Club Level lounge.

As far as noise, even though it is close to the airport, you cannot really hear the planes at all. No worries there.

For location, this is very central to Sea World and Downtown. If you are interested in staying downtown and close to the Gaslamp, the Westin is an excellent choice as well. The Sheraton Suites is good but requires a walk to the Gaslamp. W as well.

If you have kids and are looking for a good place and only want Starwood, I would choose the Marina. Booking in advance will save you a lot of money as this hotel sells out fast.

Good luck!
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
For platinum guests, are the fitness center and the parking free?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:56 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
This is quite a nice property in SD, although I personally prefer the W.

;-)
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by hts
This is quite a nice property in SD, although I personally prefer the W.

;-)
I'd love to try the W but can't justify double the cost.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by Nanook
We stayed there last summer with my husband's family and I thought it was pretty awful. Had many problems. There is a thread about it around May of 2003.
I, too, stayed there a year or so ago and thought it was pretty awful. Maybe it's gotten better, but my wife and I took a free weekend there and wished we'd just stayed home.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by get the points
I stay at this hotel approximately 30 nights/year. This is an excellent hotel. You should know there are 2 towers. You want the West tower. This is where the better pool, fitness center and Club Level is. If you are not a gold member or higher, the fitness center is $10/day. If you are not gold, your parking will be $14/day I think.
I stay here several times each year, and I always choose the EAST tower. The East tower is the larger (and I think newer) building with the big fish tank in the lobby, balconies, and the nice resort-style pool with the sea-horse fountains and waterfall. Not sure about the fitness center. Are you confusing the two buildings, or is the West tower really the nicer of the two?

Parking is expensive, although it is included if you opt for a club level room. Also, I only got free parking (at least in the East tower) when I was Platinum. I'm gold now and pay each time I stay unless I pay for a club floor.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 6:02 pm

I also prefer the EAST tower over the WEST tower. Parking and fitness center are free if you are SPG Platinum. I wouldn't pay extra for a club room, but nearly always get upgraded since I am Plat.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 1:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Review of Sheraton Harbor island

Just got back from staying on the Club Floor. All in all nothing special. The tennis courts were cracked. The Club Floor rooms were not large, the Continental breakfast was fine. Valet parking was $8 if you're staying on clu floor, self-parking was free. Next time I'd probably try one of the other properties
Old Jun 28, 2004, 2:57 pm

Programs: spg plat, hilton gold, sw
Originally Posted by LAFlyer
I stay here several times each year, and I always choose the EAST tower. The East tower is the larger (and I think newer) building with the big fish tank in the lobby, balconies, and the nice resort-style pool with the sea-horse fountains and waterfall. Not sure about the fitness center. Are you confusing the two buildings, or is the West tower really the nicer of the two?

Parking is expensive, although it is included if you opt for a club level room. Also, I only got free parking (at least in the East tower) when I was Platinum. I'm gold now and pay each time I stay unless I pay for a club floor.

You are right. My mistake. It is the EAST tower. Just stayed there 2 nights last week. I was upgraded to the Presidential suite the first stay and Governor's suite the second stay. As far as dining goes, the WEST tower restaurant, Alfiere's is excellent food. Ask for Chris for the best waiter service there.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by bigjim
For platinum guests, are the fitness center and the parking free?
Yes to both plus free continental breakfast.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by room service
Yes to both plus free continental breakfast.
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how the stay goes in August.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:37 am

Parking was expensive, the room was not clean,and I thought all in all everything was pretty run down. Not to mention you are right by the San Diego airport so you get to hear each plane taking off and landing. I was diappointed with this hotel. On the other hand, we got a fantastic rate using priceline so I guess I should not complain too loudly.
Julie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.