Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Nights available on points:
  • Open up 12 months out
  • Availability seems to open up five weeks out.
Fees when booking on points:
  • City Tax of 400 XPF for each night

Transportation
PPT-BOB Flights:
  • Round trip $350-600 per person
  • Premium ticket includes more checked baggage allowance, priority boarding (sit on the left side for island views), and drink on board.
  • Air Tahiti is strict with their baggage allowance. Excess baggage is $1.5 per pound over the limit.
  • The airline is known to weigh hand luggage if it has wheels or is larger than your typical backpack or purse.
    • If you hand luggage is weighed and is over the limit it will need to be checked or items will need to be removed and relocated to your checked luggage.
    • Carry-on items do not seemed to be tagged so the gate agents do not know what bags have been checked
  • Checked bags are weighed at the BOB airport for your PPT return flight
    • They seem to not be as strict with charging for excess weight
  • Lap infants are charged 10%
  • Check the minimum connection time. If you arrive early Air Tahiti is likely to move you to an early flight based upon availability free of charge.
  • In March 2022 the domestic security was asking that passengers remove and leave any large bottles of liquid from their hand luggage. Sealed duty free alcohol seems to be the exception.
  • Tip: Sometimes it is cheaper to pack alcohol and pay the $1.5 per pound excess luggage fee than to purchase duty free at LAX.

Boat Transfer as of April 2022:
  • 14,000 XPF per person roundtrip
  • Children are free (not sure if there is an age cutoff)
It would be rather difficult to take the free boat from the BOB airport to Vaitape and then take the complimentary shuttle to St Regis. You would need to carry your luggage and time your flights accordingly. This would also need to be coordinated with the property.

Rooms
Renovated Rooms:
101 - Deluxe Over Water Villa w/ view may be renovated
504 - Reefside
Royal Estate (currently under renovations)

Platinum Benefits (2022)
  • Breakfast for two (property is firm on this and will not provide free breakfast for any additional adults in the room)
  • Welcome amenity in the room
    • Bottle of Champagne
    • Light snacks / fruit
  • 10% off products with the St. Regis Resort logo at the gift shop
  • 20% off Bloody Mary Cocktails at the Aparima Bar
  • 20% off Cocktail of the Day
  • St. Regis Sarong when you spend 15,000 xpf on products at the spa
  • Bonus points when purchasing massages at the spa

Daily Gifts
  • 8-night stay April 2022
    • Day 1 - stuffed animals for kids
    • Day 1 - Large tote bag with St. Regis Bora Bora logo w/ waterproof lining in room
    • Day 2 - Day 7 Tahitian Oils next to bed
    • Day 3 - Two fridge magnets

Item you can request for free
  • Pool floats can be loaned out from the main pool
  • Snorkel gear
  • Microwave can be put in room by room service free of charge
  • Extra small bottles of water can be requested by the housekeeper while they are cleaning
  • Coffee service to the room from the butler before 12pm
  • Two pressed items per person any time of the day
  • For infants
    • Cribs
    • Large bottles of water for formula
  • For Kids
    • Free meals at all restaurants
    • Free ice cream
    • Free room service (even items from the regular menu)

Things to bring
  • Water shoes can be helpful in the lagoon and on some excursions
  • Alcohol
    • Mini fridge is empty and can store champagne
    • Boxed wine is light weight and stores easily in fridge
    • If you don't plan to spend a few hours on the main island you can purchase fresh juices as mixers
    • Pre-mixed canned cocktails (like cutwater spirits) seemed to be popular at the main beach. Bring your own insulated tumbler and ask for a bucket of ice.
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by IAlwaysCall
Not the same, but I stayed at the IC Thalasso after and the transfer was scheduled by StR concierge for ~$36 each one way. Expect more for the Conrad as it is further away, but if you email the concierge they can give you an accurate price.
I must admit, I'm super duper surprised at how cheap this was for you!
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:34 pm

Cool, thanks for your information, I should definitely reach out to conceige in this case.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:17 pm

Not the same, but I stayed at the IC Thalasso after and the transfer was scheduled by StR concierge for ~$36 each one way. Expect more for the Conrad as it is further away, but if you email the concierge they can give you an accurate price.
Was this recent? I'm staying at IC Thalasso and then needing to move to STR. I was also considering taking Thalasso shuttle to town, grabbing some snacks and beer at the store, and then taking the STR shuttle. It sounds like IC charges for ALL trips to the mainland unless you've booked an excursion via their concierge.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by wuzhenyu
Does anyone have experience to transfer from Conrad to St Regis? I am planning to take the st regis free shuttle at 2PM but St Regis rep told me it is for stayed residence only and I either have to take a taxi to St Regis port and pay $27 per person to transfer or go back to airport and take the shuttle there, which sounds crazy to me....
i would just grab the $27 option. you just need to find someone to drive you from Vaitape to Anau

this is just down the same coastline on the same motu. but still, pretty cheap considering tourists dont have much bargaining power over there.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
A pretty impressive review that favors the St Regis Bora Bora (opened 2006) over the relatively new Conrad Bora Bora (opened 2017 after top/down renovation of Hilton) by a convincing margin:

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/conrad-vs-st-regis-bora-bora/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=BoardingArea

FWIW, the two areas where the Conrad is reviewed to be superior to the St Regis is in (1) the landscaping and (2) the rooms. But in every other area (elite benefits, best breakfast, overall F&B quality, family friendliness, beach/watersports/actitvities, and the all-important service), the St Regis won hands down.

It's worth noting that the Conrad sits on a real island hillside with tropical foliage while the St Regis sits on an islet sandbar with little natural foliage. So landscaping is natural to both.

It's also worth noting that the Conrad opened in 2017; the St Regis opened in 2006. So the St Regis rooms certainly are overdue for renovation at this point, but the biggest issues the review had with them was the bathroom layout and that sliding doors didn't always fully close. The St Regis supposedly is now closing a small number of rooms to renovate/refurbish them in the coming year or two.

Not noted was that the St Regis rooms are overall much larger on average than those at the Conrad and have much better views (since the St Regis looks right onto Bora Bora's famous Mt Otemanu and amazing lagoon while the Conrad looks out to the open ocean).

Also not noted (strangely) was the spa. The St Regis and Four Seasons are famously known for having the obvious two best spas in Bora Bora, and the St Regis spa is much larger and has more facilities (and a central lagoon). The St Regis wins here hands down, too.

This review is in pretty stark contrast to the (surprisingly negative) review by OMAAT from March 2019 (for a stay in Dec 2018):

https://onemileatatime.com/st-regis-bora-bora-review/

One wonders if OMAAT's trip in December during the rainier, hotter, and much more humid summer season had an impact on the quality of stay. Certainly, one wonders if higher holiday occupancy had an impact.
mharlan100 likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 5, 2019 at 10:38 am
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The St Regis Lagoon-side villa he had looks gorgeous, and if I remember correctly was only a little more than the St Regis Ocean-Side villa which felt more like renting a giant AirBnB. If I do go back, I would probably angle for one of those.

Overall I think the review is pretty fair, the previous review you highlighted with terrible St Regis maintenance issues was apparently either a one-off or an issue which has been largely mitigated. The service for my stay at the St Regis was literally absent which I am sure was just bad luck, but overall I’d still lean towards the Conrad when next in Bora Bora simply because it felt a lot more attuned to people of my generation (or perhaps just me!) style and service-wise.
mharlan100 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:56 pm

1st time poster on this thread....is there no FT Wiki?

I just booked what I assume is the base points room for 85K. Listed as “Reefside Garden Villa, 1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Ocean view, Garden level, Oceanfront access”....think they could have simplified that description

I have been checking out reviews on the resort and room type. All of them seem to show a pool with the Reefside Garden Villa. From what I can gather from the room details on my reservation is see no pool.

So question is, do they have a Reefside Garden with and without pool?

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Sep 13, 2019 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:08 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
So question is, do they have a Reefside Garden with and without pool?
Welcome to FT!

Yes sort of. There is a Reefside Garden Villa Ocean View that is the entry level award room--without a plunge pool. The next category up is the Beachside Garden Villa Lagoon View--which has a plunge pool.

You can see the room descriptions on the website to get a better sense, too.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...a-bora-resort/

No matter where you stay, it's a steal on points. It's a truly world class resort. You'll have a fabulous time.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
A pretty impressive review that favors the St Regis Bora Bora (opened 2006) over the relatively new Conrad Bora Bora (opened 2017 after top/down renovation of Hilton) by a convincing margin:

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...m=BoardingArea

FWIW, the two areas where the Conrad is reviewed to be superior to the St Regis is in (1) the landscaping and (2) the rooms. But in every other area (elite benefits, best breakfast, overall F&B quality, family friendliness, beach/watersports/actitvities, and the all-important service), the St Regis won hands down.

It's worth noting that the Conrad sits on a real island hillside with tropical foliage while the St Regis sits on an islet sandbar with little natural foliage. So landscaping is natural to both.

It's also worth noting that the Conrad opened in 2017; the St Regis opened in 2006. So the St Regis rooms certainly are overdue for renovation at this point, but the biggest issues the review had with them was the bathroom layout and that sliding doors didn't always fully close. The St Regis supposedly is now closing a small number of rooms to renovate/refurbish them in the coming year or two.

Not noted was that the St Regis rooms are overall much larger on average than those at the Conrad and have much better views (since the St Regis looks right onto Bora Bora's famous Mt Otemanu and amazing lagoon while the Conrad looks out to the open ocean).

Also not noted (strangely) was the spa. The St Regis and Four Seasons are famously known for having the obvious two best spas in Bora Bora, and the St Regis spa is much larger and has more facilities (and a central lagoon). The St Regis wins here hands down, too.

This review is in pretty stark contrast to the (surprisingly negative) review by OMAAT from March 2019 (for a stay in Dec 2018):

https://onemileatatime.com/st-regis-bora-bora-review/

One wonders if OMAAT's trip in December during the rainier, hotter, and much more humid summer season had an impact on the quality of stay. Certainly, one wonders if higher holiday occupancy had an impact.
my experience in St Regis does not mirror FM or OMAAT entirely.
probably more somewhere in between.

for example, i think the FM writer said that he appears more "nameless/anonymous" at St R.
that wasnt my experience at all.
in fact, i was amazed how the staff know who i am and which villa i am staying at within an hour of me arriving (i m talking abt staff beyond your assigned butler, eg restaurant waiter, golf cart driver, and several of them).
and they were calling me by my name

i do agree with OMAAT that the villas were pretty "run-down" or in serious need of refurbishment. and their bicycles were kinda broken. i ended up walking everywhere cos their brakes or something is always not working.
so while i havent been to Conrad BB, I do think their hard product will definitely be more superior since they just had a major facelift in 2016.

the staff at St R are definitely more international crowd (ie less FP locals)
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:37 pm

Welcome to FT!

Yes sort of. There is a Reefside Garden Villa Ocean View that is the entry level award room--without a plunge pool. The next category up is the Beachside Garden Villa Lagoon View--which has a plunge pool.

You can see the room descriptions on the website to get a better sense, too.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...a-bora-resort/

No matter where you stay, it's a steal on points. It's a truly world class resort. You'll have a fabulous time.
I’m not sure that’s right. The Reefside Villa facing away from the lagoon has a large private pool (larger than what you’d traditionally call a plunge pool). . As I’ve previously reported, it is a large, generously sized villa, but for American visitors in particular you have to leave your room for your $1,500 a night villa to be in any way preferable to a $200 a night AirBnB in Florida. I’ve not seen a Lagoon View Villa, but from what I understand from a recent vlogger they look like they have an incredible view and nice access to a proper beach.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:57 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Bill are you sure this is correct? Last year when we stayed at St.Regis we took a walk on the reef side one afternoon, and I assumed that the villas over there were the ones called room type "reefside" ie the points awards. Overlooking the concrete wall from where we were walking on the reef, you could see pools in all villas if I am not mistaken. I did not think these could be the beach villas since by definition there is no beach on that side, it was the reef.

If this is correct, my takeaway from this was that for points reservations, St.Regis is worlds apart from Conrad because not only you get a standalone villa, but you get a pool as well. At Conrad if booking on points you get a suite in a shared building and no pool. If I was to book with points and knew ahead of time I would not get an upgrade, St.Regis is where I want to be. If paying cash for an OWV, you can get a decent hard product at Conrad for much cheaper than at St.Regis so arguably Conrad OWVs are decent value for the money.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by escape4
Bill are you sure this is correct? Last year when we stayed at St.Regis we took a walk on the reef side one afternoon, and I assumed that the villas over there were the ones called room type "reefside" ie the points awards. Overlooking the concrete wall from where we were walking on the reef, you could see pools in all villas if I am not mistaken. I did not think these could be the beach villas since by definition there is no beach on that side, it was the reef.

If this is correct, my takeaway from this was that for points reservations, St.Regis is worlds apart from Conrad because not only you get a standalone villa, but you get a pool as well. At Conrad if booking on points you get a suite in a shared building and no pool. If I was to book with points and knew ahead of time I would not get an upgrade, St.Regis is where I want to be. If paying cash for an OWV, you can get a decent hard product at Conrad for much cheaper than at St.Regis so arguably Conrad OWVs are decent value for the money.
Haha, no I can't be sure now!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
I think this is fair, though I think that anyone in either the base rooms in the St Regis or the Conrad would be quite disappointed if it was a major trip for them. I would not want to stay in either.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think this is fair, though I think that anyone in either the base rooms in the St Regis or the Conrad would be quite disappointed if it was a major trip for them. I would not want to stay in either.
I think it's all relative. While that may not be true for you or me, I doubt that's true for the vast majority.

For a free stay at a property like this that most would never otherwise get to enjoy, beggars can't be choosers. I'd imagine quite a high proportion of people would be quite thrilled to be at this properties for a major occasion.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:37 pm

Of course everything which is impressed as my opinion could well be disagreed with by someone else. For a couple who have never left the US and get a free plane ticket, any Bora Bora hotel would be a delight. I'm simply offering my perspective based on a lifetime of travel that it's not something that I would personally recommend. I think it will almost inevitably lead to disappointment, and you do not want disappointment when you've busted your ... to get to Bora Bora

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.