Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Nights available on points:
  • Open up 12 months out
  • Availability seems to open up five weeks out.
Fees when booking on points:
  • City Tax of 400 XPF for each night

Transportation
PPT-BOB Flights:
  • Round trip $350-600 per person
  • Premium ticket includes more checked baggage allowance, priority boarding (sit on the left side for island views), and drink on board.
  • Air Tahiti is strict with their baggage allowance. Excess baggage is $1.5 per pound over the limit.
  • The airline is known to weigh hand luggage if it has wheels or is larger than your typical backpack or purse.
    • If you hand luggage is weighed and is over the limit it will need to be checked or items will need to be removed and relocated to your checked luggage.
    • Carry-on items do not seemed to be tagged so the gate agents do not know what bags have been checked
  • Checked bags are weighed at the BOB airport for your PPT return flight
    • They seem to not be as strict with charging for excess weight
  • Lap infants are charged 10%
  • Check the minimum connection time. If you arrive early Air Tahiti is likely to move you to an early flight based upon availability free of charge.
  • In March 2022 the domestic security was asking that passengers remove and leave any large bottles of liquid from their hand luggage. Sealed duty free alcohol seems to be the exception.
  • Tip: Sometimes it is cheaper to pack alcohol and pay the $1.5 per pound excess luggage fee than to purchase duty free at LAX.

Boat Transfer as of April 2022:
  • 14,000 XPF per person roundtrip
  • Children are free (not sure if there is an age cutoff)
It would be rather difficult to take the free boat from the BOB airport to Vaitape and then take the complimentary shuttle to St Regis. You would need to carry your luggage and time your flights accordingly. This would also need to be coordinated with the property.

Rooms
Renovated Rooms:
101 - Deluxe Over Water Villa w/ view may be renovated
504 - Reefside
Royal Estate (currently under renovations)

Platinum Benefits (2022)
  • Breakfast for two (property is firm on this and will not provide free breakfast for any additional adults in the room)
  • Welcome amenity in the room
    • Bottle of Champagne
    • Light snacks / fruit
  • 10% off products with the St. Regis Resort logo at the gift shop
  • 20% off Bloody Mary Cocktails at the Aparima Bar
  • 20% off Cocktail of the Day
  • St. Regis Sarong when you spend 15,000 xpf on products at the spa
  • Bonus points when purchasing massages at the spa

Daily Gifts
  • 8-night stay April 2022
    • Day 1 - stuffed animals for kids
    • Day 1 - Large tote bag with St. Regis Bora Bora logo w/ waterproof lining in room
    • Day 2 - Day 7 Tahitian Oils next to bed
    • Day 3 - Two fridge magnets

Item you can request for free
  • Pool floats can be loaned out from the main pool
  • Snorkel gear
  • Microwave can be put in room by room service free of charge
  • Extra small bottles of water can be requested by the housekeeper while they are cleaning
  • Coffee service to the room from the butler before 12pm
  • Two pressed items per person any time of the day
  • For infants
    • Cribs
    • Large bottles of water for formula
  • For Kids
    • Free meals at all restaurants
    • Free ice cream
    • Free room service (even items from the regular menu)

Things to bring
  • Water shoes can be helpful in the lagoon and on some excursions
  • Alcohol
    • Mini fridge is empty and can store champagne
    • Boxed wine is light weight and stores easily in fridge
    • If you don't plan to spend a few hours on the main island you can purchase fresh juices as mixers
    • Pre-mixed canned cocktails (like cutwater spirits) seemed to be popular at the main beach. Bring your own insulated tumbler and ask for a bucket of ice.
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:56 pm

prepayment charge with reward points booking

Has anyone experienced same issue that you get charged with prepayment on your credit card when booking with reward points, I was told this is a deposit from the resort, and can be used for any spending during the stay, but i won't spend $800+ on the resort for just one night, so is the deposit fully refundable after stay? it seems sneaky since it didn't show on the summary bill with reservation, but it only discloses with little words under "rate details", i believe a lot of people might overlook this information. with a prepayment of $86250xpf = $800+ US dollars , i have to pay credit card first and get refund after couples months when we complete stay?? that is quite a lot, seems not reasonable. any thought? thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by ying727
Has anyone experienced same issue that you get charged with prepayment on your credit card when booking with reward points, I was told this is a deposit from the resort, and can be used for any spending during the stay, but i won't spend $800+ on the resort for just one night, so is the deposit fully refundable after stay? it seems sneaky since it didn't show on the summary bill with reservation, but it only discloses with little words under "rate details", i believe a lot of people might overlook this information. with a prepayment of $86250xpf = $800+ US dollars , i have to pay credit card first and get refund after couples months when we complete stay?? that is quite a lot, seems not reasonable. any thought? thanks!
We have a points booking for 7 nights next February. I have not seen any charges or holds to my credit card but I was wondering if it was eventually coming. At another St.Regis I had a similar statement in the rate summary, but those pre-charges never hit my card. I'm hoping this is the same way. Were you charged this yet? If so, how far in advance of your stay?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is unfortunate that you didn't get Status Recognition at the StR. I am Bonvoy Titanium and had excellent recognition. I booked the Reefside Villa for a 2 night stay the first weekend of March 2019, in May 2018, to coordinate with an 8-day French Polynesia Cruise. In December 2018 I was upgraded to an OWV with Island view. We had an unobstructed view of Mt. Otemanu.
I booked our Reef Villa on points one year out for February 2020. We considered a paid upgrade but the Reef Villa seemed to be a great room for free, and as a Titanium I was hoping for an upgrade. Around the end of April (9 months out) they offered to upgrade us to the OVW Lagoon view. I think its their lowest category of OVW, but we accepted even though I was losing the larger Reef Villa room, pool and "yard". Maybe we will get lucky and get bumped one more time to the Mt. Otemanu view. Either way, I can't complain for 60k/night. I will say that I do hope they start updating the rooms. Free or not, I would be disappointed if our room was in obvious disrepair as several reviews have noted.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by mharlan100

We have a points booking for 7 nights next February. I have not seen any charges or holds to my credit card but I was wondering if it was eventually coming. At another St.Regis I had a similar statement in the rate summary, but those pre-charges never hit my card. I'm hoping this is the same way. Were you charged this yet? If so, how far in advance of your stay?
I unfortunately booked Le meridian Bora Bora instead of Ste Regis due to availability, St Regis doesn’t open the reward night for the date we plan to stay. I did get charged $544 USD on my credit card from Le meridian Bora Bora yesterday , our stay is 7/31 , so hope I can get the prepayment back after we complete stay, get my finger crossed >_<
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Alaska MVP, Caesars Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
  • Environmental awareness and enjoyment: Even for French Polynesia (the French are not particularly careful masters of their territory), I thought the St Regis was a bit careless. They advertised shark feeding which I think was both for captive sharks as well as with an external partner. The lobby TV advertised an underwater personal sub/ mask type thing which showed people treading all over reef as well as guides breaking off coral and even putting sponges on people's heads. There are almost no fish around the St Regis, unsurprisingly. The Conrad meanwhile is a real leader in marine biology and is highly environmentally sensitive including a high profile Biorock product which has resulted in cute fish all around the little reefs around the Bungalows (quite beautiful)
Super DUPER beg to differ on this point - I stayed at the Conrad last year and that was one of my major gripes. I was appalled at the lack of environmental awareness on the snorkel trip they booked us on - baiting barracudas to swim by snorkelers, holding eels, and generally harassing sea life... all for the 'gram. We made the operator drop us back off at the Conrad on the way to the second stop. We spoke to the concierge and one of the assistant managers when we got back. They said that although there are newer, strict environmental laws, not all operators comply, and that if they only booked guests with the responsible operators, there wouldn't be enough activities for guests. ... ... ... Great response, basically enabling this to continue vs. forcing change by voting with their wallets. Perhaps things have changed since then, but I was really miffed at the time!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think there is a great deal of confirmation bias going on in this thread.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:18 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Ouch - that’s disappointing. I didn’t join any snorkelling groups, but that’s really not what I would have expected from the blurb and projects around the resort.

Having said that, I have seen that the French system trained dive professionals across French Polynesia are a lot more touchy-feely with the reef and animals than is acceptable in any other developed country (I’m a dive instructor myself). So very believable, but sad.
lexi123 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
I'm looking into staying ten+ days on points for a family holiday. Definitely at least five days at the Conrad, but the remaining days I am undecided between Thalasso, Meridien or St. Regis.
At the St. Regis it seems to be the reefside villa with little chance of upgrades as a lowly gold member. At the Thalasso, I'd get an overwater villa, not sure what it would be at the Meridien. I have done combinations of Conrad/Moana/Thalasso in the past, but haven't tried Meridien or St.Regis yet. I always like to try out new places, if they are nice.

Any recommendations? There don't seem to be too many positive comments on the reefside villa. The ocean side at the Thalasso is not very pretty, is it the same at the St. Regis or more beach-like?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LTP, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by DUflyer
I'm looking into staying ten+ days on points for a family holiday. Definitely at least five days at the Conrad, but the remaining days I am undecided between Thalasso, Meridien or St. Regis.
At the St. Regis it seems to be the reefside villa with little chance of upgrades as a lowly gold member. At the Thalasso, I'd get an overwater villa, not sure what it would be at the Meridien. I have done combinations of Conrad/Moana/Thalasso in the past, but haven't tried Meridien or St.Regis yet. I always like to try out new places, if they are nice.

Any recommendations? There don't seem to be too many positive comments on the reefside villa. The ocean side at the Thalasso is not very pretty, is it the same at the St. Regis or more beach-like?
A few thoughts from someone who is going to be at the StR and Le Moana in a month...

1. I haven't seen too many negative comments about the Reefside Villa. I have actually seen many say that the OWV are more of nice to have for a day or two, but actually would value the land based villas more. The Reefside villas are HUGE btw. That being said, I am hoping to upgrade at least one night to overwater (pay or status). OMAAT's Reefside Villa review FWIW (warning, he didn't care for the StR): https://onemileatatime.com/st-regis-...-villa-review/

2. Thalasso award space is notoriously stingy. I have checked between points and credit card nights for months and found maybe 1 day. Don't trust the calendar, but getting 5 days in a row is going to be TOUGH.

3. Le Meridien apparently just isn't as good of a points redemption as the StR. Just what I've read, but to each their own.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Reef Villas are large and private with a decent, practical-sized private pool. The downside is the view doesn't have any of the Bora Bora Lagoon to it and it's actually so private that it feels a bit like a rental villa in Bali or somewhere (which would be ~10-20% of the cost). If you're looking for a good base for some private time, but then want to spend time doing activities or hanging out in the public pool, the villa works well.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by IAlwaysCall
A few thoughts from someone who is going to be at the StR and Le Moana in a month...

1. I haven't seen too many negative comments about the Reefside Villa. I have actually seen many say that the OWV are more of nice to have for a day or two, but actually would value the land based villas more. The Reefside villas are HUGE btw. That being said, I am hoping to upgrade at least one night to overwater (pay or status). OMAAT's Reefside Villa review FWIW (warning, he didn't care for the StR): https://onemileatatime.com/st-regis-...-villa-review/

2. Thalasso award space is notoriously stingy. I have checked between points and credit card nights for months and found maybe 1 day. Don't trust the calendar, but getting 5 days in a row is going to be TOUGH.

3. Le Meridien apparently just isn't as good of a points redemption as the StR. Just what I've read, but to each their own.

We're going soon and I upgraded all nights to OWB. This will have been our 3rd time to Bora Bora/FP and honestly it's laughable when I hear people trying to justify that the OWB is not worth it and land villa will do. It absolutely is a game changer and the experience that much better. I can go and stay on land anywhere and for a lot cheaper - don't care how big the villa is. If you're going to BB/FP and not staying in OWB, you are wasting time and money.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
We're going soon and I upgraded all nights to OWB. This will have been our 3rd time to Bora Bora/FP and honestly it's laughable when I hear people trying to justify that the OWB is not worth it and land villa will do. It absolutely is a game changer and the experience that much better. I can go and stay on land anywhere and for a lot cheaper - don't care how big the villa is. If you're going to BB/FP and not staying in OWB, you are wasting time and money.
Yip, another "one mans opinion" that renders all other opinions wrong! You do you!

I booked a Reefside Villa for two nights and stayed last March. I was upgraded to a an Overwater Deluxe Otemanu View Villa 2 1/2 months before arrival. I was torn. I enjoyed my stay in the Overwater Villa but when I return I would prefer to have a land villa with the privacy and private pool. For families with young children, an overwater villa may not be appropriate.

Again, you do you! Suggesting not booking an overwater villa is a waste of time and money is absolutely asinine and equally laughable.

James
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:20 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Yip, another "one mans opinion" that renders all other opinions wrong! You do you!

I booked a Reefside Villa for two nights and stayed last March. I was upgraded to a an Overwater Deluxe Otemanu View Villa 2 1/2 months before arrival. I was torn. I enjoyed my stay in the Overwater Villa but when I return I would prefer to have a land villa with the privacy and private pool. For families with young children, an overwater villa may not be appropriate.

Again, you do you! Suggesting not booking an overwater villa is a waste of time and money is absolutely asinine and equally laughable.

James
This is how we felt in the W Maldives. We stayed in both the beach villa and the OWV.

We preferred the beach villa. Loved having a private beach and more ‘space’ around us. OWV was a fun novelty.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:51 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

James
We also agree. We even had the Royal Overwater Villa...and cant say we’re dying to return to any OWV in Bora Bora, the Maldives, etc. Others may like it much more, but not everyone does. It isn’t critical to a stay for many if not most people. One staying in a beachfront villa still can see the views of Mt Otemanu from throughout the property. And many if not most of the OWVs don’t look at Mt Otemanu any more than those at a beachfront villa might.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:43 am

i prefer land-based villa as well. at both maldives and bora bora.
for the same reasons cited above - bigger space and privacy.

owv is nice as a one-time experience. but personally, i dont feel the need to do more than once.
one also need to be in the wv long enough to enjoy the water / mountain view.
i am frankly quite an active person so am always out and about.

the st regis land-based villa is actually quite nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.