Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Nights available on points:
  • Open up 12 months out
  • Availability seems to open up five weeks out.
Fees when booking on points:
  • City Tax of 400 XPF for each night

Transportation
PPT-BOB Flights:
  • Round trip $350-600 per person
  • Premium ticket includes more checked baggage allowance, priority boarding (sit on the left side for island views), and drink on board.
  • Air Tahiti is strict with their baggage allowance. Excess baggage is $1.5 per pound over the limit.
  • The airline is known to weigh hand luggage if it has wheels or is larger than your typical backpack or purse.
    • If you hand luggage is weighed and is over the limit it will need to be checked or items will need to be removed and relocated to your checked luggage.
    • Carry-on items do not seemed to be tagged so the gate agents do not know what bags have been checked
  • Checked bags are weighed at the BOB airport for your PPT return flight
    • They seem to not be as strict with charging for excess weight
  • Lap infants are charged 10%
  • Check the minimum connection time. If you arrive early Air Tahiti is likely to move you to an early flight based upon availability free of charge.
  • In March 2022 the domestic security was asking that passengers remove and leave any large bottles of liquid from their hand luggage. Sealed duty free alcohol seems to be the exception.
  • Tip: Sometimes it is cheaper to pack alcohol and pay the $1.5 per pound excess luggage fee than to purchase duty free at LAX.

Boat Transfer as of April 2022:
  • 14,000 XPF per person roundtrip
  • Children are free (not sure if there is an age cutoff)
It would be rather difficult to take the free boat from the BOB airport to Vaitape and then take the complimentary shuttle to St Regis. You would need to carry your luggage and time your flights accordingly. This would also need to be coordinated with the property.

Rooms
Renovated Rooms:
101 - Deluxe Over Water Villa w/ view may be renovated
504 - Reefside
Royal Estate (currently under renovations)

Platinum Benefits (2022)
  • Breakfast for two (property is firm on this and will not provide free breakfast for any additional adults in the room)
  • Welcome amenity in the room
    • Bottle of Champagne
    • Light snacks / fruit
  • 10% off products with the St. Regis Resort logo at the gift shop
  • 20% off Bloody Mary Cocktails at the Aparima Bar
  • 20% off Cocktail of the Day
  • St. Regis Sarong when you spend 15,000 xpf on products at the spa
  • Bonus points when purchasing massages at the spa

Daily Gifts
  • 8-night stay April 2022
    • Day 1 - stuffed animals for kids
    • Day 1 - Large tote bag with St. Regis Bora Bora logo w/ waterproof lining in room
    • Day 2 - Day 7 Tahitian Oils next to bed
    • Day 3 - Two fridge magnets

Item you can request for free
  • Pool floats can be loaned out from the main pool
  • Snorkel gear
  • Microwave can be put in room by room service free of charge
  • Extra small bottles of water can be requested by the housekeeper while they are cleaning
  • Coffee service to the room from the butler before 12pm
  • Two pressed items per person any time of the day
  • For infants
    • Cribs
    • Large bottles of water for formula
  • For Kids
    • Free meals at all restaurants
    • Free ice cream
    • Free room service (even items from the regular menu)

Things to bring
  • Water shoes can be helpful in the lagoon and on some excursions
  • Alcohol
    • Mini fridge is empty and can store champagne
    • Boxed wine is light weight and stores easily in fridge
    • If you don't plan to spend a few hours on the main island you can purchase fresh juices as mixers
    • Pre-mixed canned cocktails (like cutwater spirits) seemed to be popular at the main beach. Bring your own insulated tumbler and ask for a bucket of ice.
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by patchan8984
We were wringing our hands for a bit after the STR was booked...based on reports that the hotel upgraded in advance and would show on the app. Inventory was variable on the nights we were staying (checking every day), booked a month out. We found out the morning of that we were upgraded...it is also high occupancy time for both Thalasso and STR.

We never asked Thalasso for a quote - based on reviews that we read, STR was the cheapest.

True that Thalasso now charges for every transfer (the previous 3 stays, they did not). Way to get around it is to rent the Twizle (electric 2-person car, cramped...) for 110k XPF ($110) and it will include your transfer back and forth. 4 hours with the car and pretty cool way to get around. Very limited storage, no AC, no windows...but nice breeze as you drive.

STR does not charge for their shuttles, but there aren't many of them scheduled. I think they are shared with staff sometimes, which is fine too...we are taking a staff shuttle back after one of our excursions. I don't think they have any scheduled shuttles to allow people to eat dinner on the main island.

Thanks for the info! We trended the twizie on Moorea last time in FP - it was fun!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Anyone stay recently who was able to transfer from Vaitape to St Regis - in lieu of taking the direct airport boat? I believe there is a shuttle stop at Robert Wan Pontoon - has anyone used this method to go from Airport - Vaitape - St Regis?
You can ask as many times as you want until you get the answer you want to hear, but for the vast majority of people Vaitape is not worth going to and only the motu part of Bora Bora is as dreamy and idyllic as we all imagine (or have seen). The main island literally had a town dump on the hillside, people burning trash in their yards, and junk cars sitting on cinder blocks. The only reason to do this is if your vacation time is worth nothing or if you simply don't enjoy spending time in nice places.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:11 am

Seems like the resort is pretty generous with upgrades based on the reports here. Unfortunately during my stay only the Royal 2 Bedroom Reefside and Royal 2 Bedroom OWV are available. An upgrade to one of those rooms would be amazing, but I suspect since there is just 2 of us they won't upgrade us to a 2 BR villa.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:53 am

Just returned from our 3rd trip to Bora Bora in the last 2 years - this time we did 6 nights at the StR Bora Bora in an OWB superior. Have been to Conrad, Thalasso, Le Moana, and now St Regis. St Regis hands down is a winner - we really enjoyed the property and the service was great. The food options expensive as usual - but the Lagoon Restaurant was incredible.

Granted - I would go back in a heartbeat to any of the above mentioned resorts but St Regis is a step above all of them in my opinion. Just the layout of the resort, size of villas, and location on the lagoon - we both gave it a thumbs up.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:24 pm

Just returned from our 3rd trip to Bora Bora in the last 2 years - this time we did 6 nights at the StR Bora Bora in an OWB superior. Have been to Conrad, Thalasso, Le Moana, and now St Regis. St Regis hands down is a winner - we really enjoyed the property and the service was great. The food options expensive as usual - but the Lagoon Restaurant was incredible.

Granted - I would go back in a heartbeat to any of the above mentioned resorts but St Regis is a step above all of them in my opinion. Just the layout of the resort, size of villas, and location on the lagoon - we both gave it a thumbs up.
Hi, so which one comes in second? We're 2 adults and 2 kids so probably different needs, but any info is helpful.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ndvheller
Hi, so which one comes in second? We're 2 adults and 2 kids so probably different needs, but any info is helpful.
My personal ranking:

1.) St Regis
2.) Thalasso
3.) Conrad
4.) Le Moana

With kids - I'd say StR has the biggest villas - I could easily see fitting in 2 adults and 2 kids there.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the info! Headed to Thalasso in 2 weeks for 3 nights, then to STR for 5 nights. As of now we're in the Reefside Villa - we like the idea of the plunge pool and extra privacy, but would take a beach villa. I'd like to keep the plunge pool...it's something we really enjoy (yes, I know you can go in one of the best lagoons in the world, but the plunge pool is nice to have as well). So, if I get an upgrade I'm hoping it's to a beach villa (or royal OWV lol).
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc
Thanks for the info! Headed to Thalasso in 2 weeks for 3 nights, then to STR for 5 nights. As of now we're in the Reefside Villa - we like the idea of the plunge pool and extra privacy, but would take a beach villa. I'd like to keep the plunge pool...it's something we really enjoy (yes, I know you can go in one of the best lagoons in the world, but the plunge pool is nice to have as well). So, if I get an upgrade I'm hoping it's to a beach villa (or royal OWV lol).
The Reefside Villas will be a disappointment. Plunge pool or not - I toured one and went to grounds where they are - there is a reason they are standard. The view from them - while on pictures might look ok but they are literally facing a rocky backstretch of the motu. We paid to upgrade to OWB and it was worth every penny - I would not travel here to stay at the Reefside Villa.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Reefside Villas will be a disappointment. Plunge pool or not - I toured one and went to grounds where they are - there is a reason they are standard. The view from them - while on pictures might look ok but they are literally facing a rocky backstretch of the motu. We paid to upgrade to OWB and it was worth every penny - I would not travel here to stay at the Reefside Villa.
I concur.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:05 pm

Aside from the view, was the villa nice? The grounds look spacious...
Old Oct 30, 2019, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by tylerc
Aside from the view, was the villa nice? The grounds look spacious...
Villa is good and grounds looked fine. Here's some pics I took, you can see what you'll be viewing.

Reefside View

Reefside View

Reefside Yard
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:14 am

Villa is good and grounds looked fine. Here's some pics I took, you can see what you'll be viewing.

Reefside View

Reefside View

Reefside Yard
I figured that's what it looked like (same sort of beach as back of Thalasso). I'm ok with it, at least for a few nights - may I'll see if I can split my time between that and another room, though I'm not too bothered since we're in an OVW at Thalasso on the same trip.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
The Reefside Villas will be a disappointment. We paid to upgrade to OWB and it was worth every penny - I would not travel here to stay at the Reefside Villa.
Thanks for the feedback beagleflyer1977

If I may offer an opinion from a different angle regarding StR vs Conrad, I would say that comparing the two properties is highly dependent on room type. While reef villas might be disappointing at StR, the fact of the matter is that for someone booking with points, those are still massively preferable to the suites you get at Conrad when booking with points. The reef villas at StR are standalone villas, you have a private pool, and you have lots of real estate. At Conrad the suites feel more like a large hotel room where you share walls with neighbors and obviously no private pool. And for people paying cash for those entry level rooms, StR is more expensive than Conrad but the price premium is fairly modest considering all the extras you get.

However for OWVs the prices are very competitive at Conrad relative to StR, so you might rank StR above Conrad for a variety of reasons but to be fair the total bill at StR for someone paying cash (no points) is going to be a lot more than what it would be at Conrad when paying for OWV. So in terms of value for the money, the OWVs at Conrad are quite good.

If you were ranking the properties in the order you liked them without necessarily considering the price tag, then in that case StR ranking above Conrad is somewhat expected given the price difference.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite
Hi there,

Me and my wife will travel to French Polynesia next year. We will spend the first 10 days on a catamaran cruise and would then like to spend another 5 nights at the St. Regis Bora Bora. I currently booked a Reefside Garden Villa for 355.000 points for 5 nights.

When being in Bora Bora, I definitely would like to go for an overwater villa instead of Reefside/Beach Villa at least for a couple of nights. Generally, I’m thinking about spending the first 2 days in the reefside villa and try to upgrade the last 3 nights. Obviously also depending on the rate.

I’m currently debating on what best strategy is:

1. Ask my ambassador to figure out the rates for a cash upgrade already now. Which probably might be higher if you ask to early
2. Wait until June/July 2020 to ask for the rates for a cash upgrade. Pro: maybe they already upgraded me in advance, rates might be cheaper. Con: overwater villa might already be sold out

What is your experience? What rates have been typically quoted for upgrades (unfortunately I could not find any recent information in this thread)?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by zemb
Hi there,

Me and my wife will travel to French Polynesia next year. We will spend the first 10 days on a catamaran cruise and would then like to spend another 5 nights at the St. Regis Bora Bora. I currently booked a Reefside Garden Villa for 355.000 points for 5 nights.

When being in Bora Bora, I definitely would like to go for an overwater villa instead of Reefside/Beach Villa at least for a couple of nights. Generally, I’m thinking about spending the first 2 days in the reefside villa and try to upgrade the last 3 nights. Obviously also depending on the rate.

I’m currently debating on what best strategy is:

1. Ask my ambassador to figure out the rates for a cash upgrade already now. Which probably might be higher if you ask to early
2. Wait until June/July 2020 to ask for the rates for a cash upgrade. Pro: maybe they already upgraded me in advance, rates might be cheaper. Con: overwater villa might already be sold out

What is your experience? What rates have been typically quoted for upgrades (unfortunately I could not find any recent information in this thread)?

We paid around $400 to upgrade - well worth IMHO. The prices I've seen range from $300 - $500 USD to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.