Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Nights available on points:
  • Open up 12 months out
  • Availability seems to open up five weeks out.
Fees when booking on points:
  • City Tax of 400 XPF for each night

Transportation
PPT-BOB Flights:
  • Round trip $350-600 per person
  • Premium ticket includes more checked baggage allowance, priority boarding (sit on the left side for island views), and drink on board.
  • Air Tahiti is strict with their baggage allowance. Excess baggage is $1.5 per pound over the limit.
  • The airline is known to weigh hand luggage if it has wheels or is larger than your typical backpack or purse.
    • If you hand luggage is weighed and is over the limit it will need to be checked or items will need to be removed and relocated to your checked luggage.
    • Carry-on items do not seemed to be tagged so the gate agents do not know what bags have been checked
  • Checked bags are weighed at the BOB airport for your PPT return flight
    • They seem to not be as strict with charging for excess weight
  • Lap infants are charged 10%
  • Check the minimum connection time. If you arrive early Air Tahiti is likely to move you to an early flight based upon availability free of charge.
  • In March 2022 the domestic security was asking that passengers remove and leave any large bottles of liquid from their hand luggage. Sealed duty free alcohol seems to be the exception.
  • Tip: Sometimes it is cheaper to pack alcohol and pay the $1.5 per pound excess luggage fee than to purchase duty free at LAX.

Boat Transfer as of April 2022:
  • 14,000 XPF per person roundtrip
  • Children are free (not sure if there is an age cutoff)
It would be rather difficult to take the free boat from the BOB airport to Vaitape and then take the complimentary shuttle to St Regis. You would need to carry your luggage and time your flights accordingly. This would also need to be coordinated with the property.

Rooms
Renovated Rooms:
101 - Deluxe Over Water Villa w/ view may be renovated
504 - Reefside
Royal Estate (currently under renovations)

Platinum Benefits (2022)
  • Breakfast for two (property is firm on this and will not provide free breakfast for any additional adults in the room)
  • Welcome amenity in the room
    • Bottle of Champagne
    • Light snacks / fruit
  • 10% off products with the St. Regis Resort logo at the gift shop
  • 20% off Bloody Mary Cocktails at the Aparima Bar
  • 20% off Cocktail of the Day
  • St. Regis Sarong when you spend 15,000 xpf on products at the spa
  • Bonus points when purchasing massages at the spa

Daily Gifts
  • 8-night stay April 2022
    • Day 1 - stuffed animals for kids
    • Day 1 - Large tote bag with St. Regis Bora Bora logo w/ waterproof lining in room
    • Day 2 - Day 7 Tahitian Oils next to bed
    • Day 3 - Two fridge magnets

Item you can request for free
  • Pool floats can be loaned out from the main pool
  • Snorkel gear
  • Microwave can be put in room by room service free of charge
  • Extra small bottles of water can be requested by the housekeeper while they are cleaning
  • Coffee service to the room from the butler before 12pm
  • Two pressed items per person any time of the day
  • For infants
    • Cribs
    • Large bottles of water for formula
  • For Kids
    • Free meals at all restaurants
    • Free ice cream
    • Free room service (even items from the regular menu)

Things to bring
  • Water shoes can be helpful in the lagoon and on some excursions
  • Alcohol
    • Mini fridge is empty and can store champagne
    • Boxed wine is light weight and stores easily in fridge
    • If you don't plan to spend a few hours on the main island you can purchase fresh juices as mixers
    • Pre-mixed canned cocktails (like cutwater spirits) seemed to be popular at the main beach. Bring your own insulated tumbler and ask for a bucket of ice.
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by zemb
Hi there,

Me and my wife will travel to French Polynesia next year. We will spend the first 10 days on a catamaran cruise and would then like to spend another 5 nights at the St. Regis Bora Bora. I currently booked a Reefside Garden Villa for 355.000 points for 5 nights.

When being in Bora Bora, I definitely would like to go for an overwater villa instead of Reefside/Beach Villa at least for a couple of nights. Generally, I’m thinking about spending the first 2 days in the reefside villa and try to upgrade the last 3 nights. Obviously also depending on the rate.

I’m currently debating on what best strategy is:

1. Ask my ambassador to figure out the rates for a cash upgrade already now. Which probably might be higher if you ask to early
2. Wait until June/July 2020 to ask for the rates for a cash upgrade. Pro: maybe they already upgraded me in advance, rates might be cheaper. Con: overwater villa might already be sold out

What is your experience? What rates have been typically quoted for upgrades (unfortunately I could not find any recent information in this thread)?
Curious who you picked for your catamaran cruise?

TD
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
We paid around $400 to upgrade - well worth IMHO. The prices I've seen range from $300 - $500 USD to upgrade.
Thanks!

To what room category did you upgrade to and during what month? How long in advance did you ask to the upgrade?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Curious who you picked for your catamaran cruise?

TD
We'll go with Dream Yacht Charter (https://www.dreamyachtcharter.com/de...nch-polynesia/). Do you have any experience with any charter company over there?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 6:11 pm

Thanks!

To what room category did you upgrade to and during what month? How long in advance did you ask to the upgrade?

About 6 months in advance, and to Superior Overwater.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:17 pm

We'll go with Dream Yacht Charter (https://www.dreamyachtcharter.com/de...nch-polynesia/). Do you have any experience with any charter company over there?
We went with these guys two Summers ago...
http://www.tahitiyachtcharter.com/en

We had a nice time. I thought they were a little pricey considering you can get the same boat in many places around the world for much less....but it is BB...

We have been to BB three times. The company you are using has their boats all around BB. So I have to assume you will enjoy them. We opted not to use them because they did not have any boats with A/C. Not sure you have to have it, but was a wife request...happy wife happy life.

TD
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
We went with these guys two Summers ago...
http://www.tahitiyachtcharter.com/en

We had a nice time. I thought they were a little pricey considering you can get the same boat in many places around the world for much less....but it is BB...

We have been to BB three times. The company you are using has their boats all around BB. So I have to assume you will enjoy them. We opted not to use them because they did not have any boats with A/C. Not sure you have to have it, but was a wife request...happy wife happy life.

TD

How does this work - do you skipper the boat yourself or you're with other people on it and a captain?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
How does this work - do you skipper the boat yourself or you're with other people on it and a captain?
The ones we rented came with a captain and chef. I believe you can rent them and captain yourself if you can show you are qualified.

TD
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
I just checked my 5-night-points reservation for next year and it now shows as 400,000 points. I'm quite sure when I booked it, it was low 3xx,000.
Does that mean it is now 100,000 points per night???

I checked current availability and the point rates are wildly jumping around from one day to the next from 70k, 85k to 100k and back.
There is no consistency, not like Saturdays are cheaper than Friday, one week is like this the other week the other way around.
What's happening? Can't be that high season changes daily?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Question about upgrades. I have 5 nights booked using points in April. Titanium status this year. Should I anticipate any complimentary upgrade to an OWB? Haven't seen the room type changed on my account. Wondering if it takes a call to even get the complimentary upgrade processed? I have no problem paying for the upgrade, just want to be clear what I should expect. Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by gobears293
Question about upgrades. I have 5 nights booked using points in April. Titanium status this year. Should I anticipate any complimentary upgrade to an OWB? Haven't seen the room type changed on my account. Wondering if it takes a call to even get the complimentary upgrade processed? I have no problem paying for the upgrade, just want to be clear what I should expect. Thanks!
We are here now and also Titanium. Arrived yesterday; booked 11.5 months ago. We received a complimentary upgrade around April last year I think and we did not call, they just offered it via email. It's low season so that probably helped. Based upon searches for available rooms they seem to be relatively full right now. I think April is shoulder season so it may be getting more full by then. Ultimately, I suppose an email request returned with "no" is the worst case scenario. I do think the Reefside villas are probably cool in their own right but if overwater is what you want, then paying for it is the only at to guarantee it.
gobears293 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:03 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by mharlan100
We are here now and also Titanium. Arrived yesterday; booked 11.5 months ago. We received a complimentary upgrade around April last year I think and we did not call, they just offered it via email. It's low season so that probably helped. Based upon searches for available rooms they seem to be relatively full right now. I think April is shoulder season so it may be getting more full by then. Ultimately, I suppose an email request returned with "no" is the worst case scenario. I do think the Reefside villas are probably cool in their own right but if overwater is what you want, then paying for it is the only at to guarantee it.
Just to be clear, for your stay in April 2019 you received an upgrade, but for your stay in February 2020 no upgrade due to high occupancy?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by mharlan100
Thanks for those details. I sent an email today. Will see what happens. And the old [email protected] email does not work anymore, must use [email protected]
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Just to be clear, for your stay in April 2019 you received an upgrade, but for your stay in February 2020 no upgrade due to high occupancy?
We have never stayed here before, until now (Feb 2020). I booked it within minutes of the schedule posting about 11.5 months ago (~Feb 2019). This was during the last week or two that you could book them for 60k/night, which was definitely a steal of a deal. The free upgrade offer came in ~April 2019.

As an aside, when I recently checked for 6 nights availability for our dates, very few room types were available for all 6 nights. Pretty much just the 2 bedroom villas I think. On any individual night, there were more options. As others have stated, it feels very empty here. At check-in, the butler told me that occupancy was "high" but I didn't ask a percentage. It definitely doesn't feel high. There are obviously a few overwater villas undergoing construction (new roof, concrete repairs, etc.) so maybe they've blocked off quite a few villas to be prepared for that. I have not found the construction to be intrusive at all. If anything, it's very interesting to see how this work is done from boats and floating planks. Of course, they are not doing any work next to my villa. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple villas are blocked off on each side of the active construction. It's clear they are making their way down the line from mainland out to the end of the pontoon, which is where we are at.

The concerns about beat up villas are overblown based upon our villa condition. It's in great shape. Floors look relatively new. Really, no issues whatsoever. I've seen the pictures others have taken though, so it's obvious some were in poor shape. Perhaps they are making good renovation progress.

Something to keep in mind that I didn't think about: When the weather is too windy, you can not get into the water around your villa. This has only been an issue for one day, but the weather did not seem bad to me that day. This might be a bigger deal during rainy season depending on how lucky you are. Overall, the weather has been great so far. The view is great regardless. Everyone seems to have a fierce opinion of OVW vs Reefside or even Beachside villas. We've done both OVW and Beachfront in the Maldives. If OVW is on your bucket list, it's probably worth paying for the upgrade, at least for a few nights. I don't think I would pay for an upgrade to OVW again unless it had the mountain view, but the cost is too high in my opinion and I do have a budget. The mountain view truly is spectacular. But at 95%+ of resorts in the world, the Beachfront villa would be the best room on site, and the Reefside wouldn't be far behind. I do wish we had a pool in these OVW villas; that is something I would have considered paying for. To each their own I guess.
escape4 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:38 pm

Thanks for those details. I sent an email today. Will see what happens. And the old [email protected] email does not work anymore, must use [email protected]
Well I sure got an interesting reply:

"I am pleased to let you know that as a Titanium Bonvoy member, you are indeed eligible for an upgrade, however, please note it is only upon check-in and subject to availability."

Wonder if the email version of HUCA would at all be helpful or I should just wait a week or so and give the resort a call.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:40 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Well I sure got an interesting reply:

"I am pleased to let you know that as a Titanium Bonvoy member, you are indeed eligible for an upgrade, however, please note it is only upon check-in and subject to availability."

Wonder if the email version of HUCA would at all be helpful or I should just wait a week or so and give the resort a call.
Nothing unusual about this response from the resort

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.