Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That works if the FS is available for points. If it doesn't, then that may be why the CY was chosen. Based on Armani's response, sounds like the CY is an ok choice. Also, the FTer posting has zero status w/ Marriott so FS isn't going to really get him much more than CY.

Cheers.
Another illogical and superfluous post ski. The OP said they were considering the CY. I suggested the FS waterfront is better due to renovated rooms and costs the same points. It goes without saying "if the FS is available for points" and no mention of status benefits was brought up and is irrelevant if decision is based on room quality and location.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Any updates?

I am contemplating staying the Courtyard Downtown at the end of August. It looks like I would be redeeming points for my nights. I have zero status with Marriott.
Originally Posted by Armani
I stayed there last Spring for a train trip layover. Although I typically avoid Courtyards because they offer nothing for elite benefits, this is a nice hotel and conveniently located near Union Station, food trucks, and several restaurants. The restaurant in the lobby is an independent modern diner and has great breakfast and lunch at a fair price. It appears to be popular with locals. The staff was great and I was upgraded to a large corner room with a nice view.
Armani's experience pretty much echos mine. I found the CY location to be great if you wanted to explore downtown Portland and the diner/restaurant way better than any "Bistro." The room furnishings were pretty much standard Courtyard.

I have stayed at the Waterfront and, while the property was OK, found the location less convenient to the downtown area.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Another illogical and superfluous post ski. The OP said they were considering the CY. I suggested the FS waterfront is better due to renovated rooms and costs the same points. It goes without saying "if the FS is available for points" and no mention of status benefits was brought up and is irrelevant if decision is based on room quality and location.
He said he was considering the CY & wanted an update on the property, and specifically mentioned he had zip status w/ Marriott. He didn't ask for a comparison btwn properties or ask for info re: location. The other 2 FTers responded to his specific request re: the CY. Having said that, I understand the all things being equal you might want to consider a different property train of thought.

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Thanks for the input. I double checked my marriot credentials and discovered that I'm still silver (which is worthless).

Location is pretty important to me since I've never been to Portland before, so I'm still leaning towards the CY. The waterfront is available at a slightly better cash rate but if the location isn't as good I don't see any point in booking it.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Thanks for the input. I double checked my marriot credentials and discovered that I'm still silver (which is worthless).

Location is pretty important to me since I've never been to Portland before, so I'm still leaning towards the CY. The waterfront is available at a slightly better cash rate but if the location isn't as good I don't see any point in booking it.
I don't have any experience with the Waterfront location, but I like the CY because it is on the streetcar line. It was a short ride from the CY to Union Station.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I recently stayed at the Waterfront location. Rooms are newly renovated and very nice -- very non-traditional Marriott (none of that red and gold 1980's look). Although I thought the room was a bit small. As a Plat was upgraded to a room overlooking the river which was nice. Club lounge is a temp space as they build a M Club lounge -- it was large enough and offered a very good selection in the evenings, plus your usual's in the AM. I did not have a car and didn't have any problem getting around - it's about a ~10 min walk to the red line MAX light rail, and an easy walk to the downtown core. But I like to walk a lot. I would stay there again without hesitation.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by jlb3
Club lounge is a temp space as they build a M Club lounge -- it was large enough and offered a very good selection in the evenings, plus your usual's in the AM.
Was your stay on a weekend? What was the situation w/ brekkie on the weekend? Any word on when the M Lounge will open?

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:00 pm

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/RiverPlace

Recent long weekend stay at the Residence Inn Portland Downtown/RiverPlace was very enjoyable.

Good location, clean / newish rooms, very pleasant staff.

Nice breakfast spread every morning.

Easy-ish to get from PDX on MAX light rail.

I would recommend it if the location works for you.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I stayed Sun-Tues, so breakfast was in the lounge. It's currently closed on the weekends and they offer breakfast in the restaurant. M Club Lounge opens "end of summer", I think they said September.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Was your stay on a weekend? What was the situation w/ brekkie on the weekend? Any word on when the M Lounge will open?

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by jlb3
I stayed Sun-Tues, so breakfast was in the lounge. It's currently closed on the weekends and they offer breakfast in the restaurant. M Club Lounge opens "end of summer", I think they said September.
Thanks! I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:31 pm

Earlier this summer, I stayed at the Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Lloyd Center. It was a bit cheaper than the other options downtown and offered free parking. Being on vacation during the week meant that the happy hour-type offerings were a nice surprise as I'm more often at hotels on weekends. It was an even better surprise to have local options like craft beer and a hoppy cider. I can't drink normal beer so to have a gluten free option that was refreshing on a hot day was much appreciated. The food was better than expected, and it allowed us to push back dinner one night to take advantage of a seafood happy hour after exploring some local breweries and bars.

Overall, it was a hotel I'd definitely recommend and wouldn't hesitate to stay at again - our room was quite spacious and clean, we certainly slept well, and the location being on the "other" side of the river still offered plenty in walking distance** and easy access to the main downtown area.

**We walked quite a bit to/between a number of places before taking an uber back - we'd walked a decent ways away and weren't as comfortable in the dark/late at night walking back without being more familiar with the area/streets
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! We have a 2 bedroom at the RI Lloyd center for a week coming up. We have not stayed there before but we're drawn to the lower prices compared to getting two rooms downtown and free parking with pretty easy access to down town. Good to hear it is a decent place to stay.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heads up that RI Downtown/Lloyd Center is now charging 10 dollars/day for parking but waiving it if reservation was made before it was added.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:41 am

"The newly-renovated Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront Hotel now features oh-so-Portland amenities such as mobile workspaces, locally-influenced art and in-room bike storage in several rooms.

In addition to the hotel's aim to add more local flavor to the property, the remodel also introduces features like redesigned closets, modern fixtures and multifunctional spaces designed to be more appealing to a younger generation of travelers. The Portland hotel is one of the first Marriotts to implement the new designs."
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does that mean they removed the desk and made it appeal to annoying hipsters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.