Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
"The newly-renovated Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront Hotel now features oh-so-Portland amenities such as mobile workspaces, locally-influenced art and in-room bike storage in several rooms.

In addition to the hotel's aim to add more local flavor to the property, the remodel also introduces features like redesigned closets, modern fixtures and multifunctional spaces designed to be more appealing to a younger generation of travelers. The Portland hotel is one of the first Marriotts to implement the new designs."
Mobile workspace=sit on chair with laptop or ipad.
Multi=functional space= nothing there so use it like you want
in-room bike storage= With no desk or furniture there is plenty of space to store bike
redesigned closets=who needs hangers and shelves
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Armani
Mobile workspace=sit on chair with laptop or ipad.
Multi=functional space= nothing there so use it like you want
in-room bike storage= With no desk or furniture there is plenty of space to store bike
redesigned closets=who needs hangers and shelves
Now wiping off the tea I spit all over my laptop screen reading this

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Now wiping off the tea I spit all over my laptop screen reading this

Cheers.
I've become very skeptical every time Marriott announces an 'enhancement', especially to appeal to Millennials. It usually means they are taking away something that seasoned travelers enjoy, and typically is a cost savings to them. I wouldn't be surprised if a future enhancement includes 'customizing your sleeping experience', which means you pay extra to rent a specific type of bed. Soon we will also have 'tiny rooms'.

I'll be interested to hear future reviews for this property to see how these 'enhancements' have impacted the comfort and functionality for the typical business traveler.
Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rylan
Does that mean they removed the desk and made it appeal to annoying hipsters?
I stayed there in July in a newly-renovated room and it had a desk.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jlb3
I stayed Sun-Tues, so breakfast was in the lounge. It's currently closed on the weekends and they offer breakfast in the restaurant.
I stayed at the Waterfront in July and can confirm that you get full breakfast on the weekend. It's the standard Marriott "continental breakfast" voucher but you get full breakfast. The sticky mentions $22 value and paying for overage. I don't know if this works or not (and breakfast is $23 now, btw).

I stayed in a newly renovated room and I really liked the new room design.

Unfortunately, they removed the pool in order to build the M Club lounge. One of the reasons for me to stay at this property was the salt water pool and I think removing the pool was a really bad idea. (I chatted to someone and he said the Waterfront was the only hotel in Portland downtown with a pool, so they lost a great differentiation.) I've never seen an M Club lounge but from what I heard it's something I'd rather avoid...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Looking to visit Portland, maybe in April 2016. Any recent opinions on the Marriott waterfront vs city Center?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jsucool76
Looking to visit Portland, maybe in April 2016. Any recent opinions on the Marriott waterfront vs city Center?
Location-wise, the Marriott Waterfront is in an office tower part of town with not much nearby in terms of restaurants or nightlife. It's also not that close to the MAX light rail. I've stayed there several times on business because it was the closest hotel to my company's branch office in town but I don't choose it for leisure trips.

The Marriott City Center is located closer to the things I appreciate as a leisure traveler visiting the city. It's more walkable to clubs, restaurants, shopping, and transit. Though in terms of location I think the Courtyard City Center is even better, and that's generally where I stay when I'm in downtown Portland on my own dime.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tbm13
I stayed at the Waterfront in July and can confirm that you get full breakfast on the weekend. It's the standard Marriott "continental breakfast" voucher but you get full breakfast. The sticky mentions $22 value and paying for overage. I don't know if this works or not (and breakfast is $23 now, btw).

I stayed in a newly renovated room and I really liked the new room design.

Unfortunately, they removed the pool in order to build the M Club lounge. One of the reasons for me to stay at this property was the salt water pool and I think removing the pool was a really bad idea. (I chatted to someone and he said the Waterfront was the only hotel in Portland downtown with a pool, so they lost a great differentiation.) I've never seen an M Club lounge but from what I heard it's something I'd rather avoid...
Do all the rooms have the mobile work stations now? Are they on rollers to move around the room? Is there no longer a pool or aerobics room and sauna?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I stayed at the Courtyard City Center last month as a Gold. Upgraded to a (slightly) larger room. The last time I was here (maybe 2 years ago?) the upgrade was to a huge corner room, so the experience is not consistent.

Needed to meet up with someone to get some work done and the lobby is too small to make that practical (one long table and an area of chairs/couches) so we ended up meeting over at the FS Marriott in the bar area - they have a side section with a work area still served by the bartender. Still not great but less interruption from tourists congregating.

It was fine and significantly less expensive than the FS so I'm planning to continue staying there and working at the FS...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AA 2M, UA, Starwood Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Portland Courtyard -

Just checked out of the Courtyard - the first night I arrived about 8:30 pm, was given a room facing a wall, and a sagging bed. When I mentioned the bed, was told something like "Yes, we have a few rooms with beds like that, the hotel is in the process of replacing the beds." As a Gold member, do not expect a room with a view of something other than a wall if the hotel is sold out that night. Visualize being a Portlander Goth. Personnel all nice, price was higher than expected. Changed to another room the next day; bed was a little better. Rooms had only a shower, no bathtub. Will try to stay elsewhere in the future.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:51 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Was back at the Courtyard City Center again recently. This time I had the room type I remembered - high ceilings, lots of space. These are the xx05 rooms. Had breakfast at the full service Marriott again and it worked very nicely.

Then I stayed at the other full service Marriott Downtown Waterfront since everything in central downtown was full. Excellent stay. Ended up with an upgrade to a huge hospitality suite with a murphy bed - was a little nervous about the bed quality but it turned out fine. It would have been the perfect room to host an NBA playoff party... big TV, couches and chairs, wet bar.

Only complaint about the room is that I could clearly hear the neighbors on both sides but they went to sleep early.

Had room service dinner and it was excellent, fresh and delicious. Breakfast in the restaurant was good too. Everyone very helpful. Just a really good stay.

The location isn't very central but since the weather was great I walked back in to the center of downtown and it took about 20 minutes, all easy walking.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I agree the City Center is in a better location. But the Waterfront does have nice new rooms (minus the desk) and a great lounge.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Are any of the Marriott's convenient to Willamette Valley, say within 10-15 miles? Thinking of visiting wine country there for the first time. Thank you.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Are any of the Marriott's convenient to Willamette Valley, say within 10-15 miles? Thinking of visiting wine country there for the first time. Thank you.
It depends on the part of the wine country you want to go to. There are several wineries outside of Eugene (King Estate, etc.) which would be considered the Willamette Valley. Eugene has a RI and a CY.

Another big wine area is Newberg/Dundee in Yamhill county, the Lake Oswego properties will get you a bit closer, and are closer to Portland, but nothing right in the wine country. The splurge (non-chain) hotel in that area is the Allison.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:42 pm

Is it still full breakfast in the restaurant at the Marriott Waterfront on Saturday mornings (i.e. no lounge breakfast)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.