Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Need to be in Portland for one night end of this week. I'll have some free time on my hands so I figure I'd explore the city a bit as it's my first time.

Is the HI LO worth an extra $30 over the Vance? Would love to stay at the Nines, but I feel it's wasted for only one night and it's almost double the price of the other two.
They are both small, Hi Lo has better restaurant and is in a more accessible/tourist friendly area, though lots of homeless. Vance is really next to a school and business area. I have had better luck with upgrades at HiLo
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by samosa
They are both small, Hi Lo has better restaurant and is in a more accessible/tourist friendly area, though lots of homeless. Vance is really next to a school and business area. I have had better luck with upgrades at HiLo
Thank you for the reply.

I suppose I'd rather be in an area by the tourist hot spots. I Iive in Southern California so I'm used to the homeless. Not sure if the homeless in Portland are more pushy and violent that I should be worried about.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Need to be in Portland for one night end of this week. I'll have some free time on my hands so I figure I'd explore the city a bit as it's my first time.

Is the HI LO worth an extra $30 over the Vance? Would love to stay at the Nines, but I feel it's wasted for only one night and it's almost double the price of the other two.
As of last Memorial Day, the Hi Lo was not in a very good part of town.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Our kids (40s) say the homeless problem is not as bad as it was, but we had the misfortune several years ago to run into one who threatened our lives when we wouldn't give him anything. Looking back he was a crazy one-off, but it's spooked us from going back for years.

I've never thought of Portland as having any real "tourist attractions" per se right in the city - maybe the Chinese Gardens? Art Museum? Historical Society? We've been to all of them. A lot of the attractions are right outside the city in the big park but you really need a car for that.

The only one of your choices I've stayed at was the Nines, it was "pretty" back when it opened, cool concept being an old Department Store - art work of mannequins, big shoes, that type of thing, but you don't have to stay there to see that, just walk around the upstairs lobby if you're in the area.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I stay at HI Lo with frequency and I've never had a problem. I've also regularly had (modest) upgrades to the larger rooms.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:18 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I suppose I'd rather be in an area by the tourist hot spots. I Iive in Southern California so I'm used to the homeless. Not sure if the homeless in Portland are more pushy and violent that I should be worried about.
Just spent three nights at the nines a couple of weeks ago and there is notable homeless population in the area, and the Hi-Lo does seem to have a stronger concentration (it gets higher as you get closer to "old town") but tbh the number of people seems pretty mild compared to LA or SF.

In any case, you might also consider the bidwell or the moxy.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I feel a need to point out that the distance between most of the bonvoy properties downtown is pretty minimal and if one is in a lousy area then they pretty much all are. Again I've had no problems at Hi Lo, but the same is true with the nearby courtyard, and the AC. You can easily walk between all of Nines, AC, Bidwell, Hi Lo, Courtyard, and Moxy as far as I'm concerned. Even the waterfromt Marriott is only like 5 blocks from that AC...
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
I feel a need to point out that the distance between most of the bonvoy properties downtown is pretty minimal and if one is in a lousy area then they pretty much all are. Again I've had no problems at Hi Lo, but the same is true with the nearby courtyard, and the AC. You can easily walk between all of Nines, AC, Bidwell, Hi Lo, Courtyard, and Moxy as far as I'm concerned. Even the waterfromt Marriott is only like 5 blocks from that AC...
I noticed that as well. That's why I was curious about the Vance since it looked to be in a different general area than the rest in DT Portland.

Seems like the HI LO is my best option.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:09 pm

FlyingFrZ, where do you "need" to be in Portland for your business or whatever?

Where in So Cal do you live?

I think a big difference in So Cal, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a car culture so you may be driving past the tents, but in Portland you'll be walking. More like San Francisco.

If you're just looking to spend a night in a nicer area and have a good dinner, how's the Pearl these days (I'm asking the local posters here)? Would that be a better option for this person?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
FlyingFrZ, where do you "need" to be in Portland for your business or whatever?

Where in So Cal do you live?

I think a big difference in So Cal, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a car culture so you may be driving past the tents, but in Portland you'll be walking. More like San Francisco.

If you're just looking to spend a night in a nicer area and have a good dinner, how's the Pearl these days (I'm asking the local posters here)? Would that be a better option for this person?
I don't have a set location I need to be in. I'm meeting someone for an hour, so anywhere near downtown Portland should be fine.

I don't really mind walking past tents and camps as long as I'm not constantly accosted. What hotel in the pearl area would you recommend?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We’ve stayed at the Residence Inn on the edge of the Pearl a couple of times in the past year and liked the neighborhood. It’s pretty quiet at night with quite a lot of residential development nearby, but feels a world removed from the surroundings of the Nines (our former go-to).
samosa likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by mbluecpa
We’ve stayed at the Residence Inn on the edge of the Pearl a couple of times in the past year and liked the neighborhood. It’s pretty quiet at night with quite a lot of residential development nearby, but feels a world removed from the surroundings of the Nines (our former go-to).
There seems to be more Hiltons in the Pearl than Marriotts....our kids used to live right there, on Glisan, so we never had to stay in a hotel, I just remember lots of great restaurants, many which seem to not exist anymore. I can recall Hoyt some number, Andina (still there), and did Vitaly abandon Portland completely? Been to 3 of his restaurants in the past, now can't find any of them.

Paley, that was his last name, Vitaly Paley.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Feb 22, 2023 at 6:51 pm
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
This is just an anecdote, but I've had bigger problems with aggressive homeless folks in the central part of the US (Midwest) than on the West Coast. Sure, there's a bunch, but my hunch is that they're a bit more mellow (if you know what I mean). Portland wasn't my favorite city and can be pretty ugly with all of the boarded-up areas (at least in 2021), but I didn't have safety issues.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:12 am

Decided to go with the HI Lo. Will definetely post my experience. Thank you everyone for the advice

​​​​​Update: Flights into PDX cancelled today for heavy snow. Looks like I won't be staying at the HI Lo afterall

The hotel was courteous enough to cancel my reservation without a penalty. I'll probably just stick with the Moxy since it's cheap.
samosa likes this.

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; Feb 23, 2023 at 3:04 pm
Old Mar 2, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I remember a thread a while back where it was rumored that MI was going to make a "Millenial-Friendly" brand that didn't have desks or closets and I thought someone was pulling our legs ....

... then I stayed at the PDX Moxy.
samosa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.