Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Portland, OR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Looking for recommendations: Courtyard City Center or Hotel Vance? I could also do the Residence Inn Riverplace but it is kind of far (about a mile from where I need to be), and I could also do the Moxy but am not particularly keen on staying there. The CY is a block from where I need to be, and the Vance is about a 15-minute walk.

-J.
can you do the hi-lo? If so, that would be better. However, between those I honestly don’t have one that is amazing. What I don’t like about the Vance is the restaurant, but otherwise it is a decent hotel and location.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by samosa
can you do the hi-lo? If so, that would be better. However, between those I honestly don’t have one that is amazing. What I don’t like about the Vance is the restaurant, but otherwise it is a decent hotel and location.
The Hi-Lo is a bit too pricey. Trust me I would have rather stayed there

-J.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I gave Moxy a try last weekend incidentally, which happened to mark their one yr anniversary. They had a drag party in the bar/lobby with some modest catering - all very on brand lol
As for the place itself, it's a moxy. It's cheaper, it's cramped, it's fine.
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
I gave Moxy a try last weekend incidentally, which happened to mark their one yr anniversary. They had a drag party in the bar/lobby with some modest catering - all very on brand lol
As for the place itself, it's a moxy. It's cheaper, it's cramped, it's fine.
It is "fun" but not a place to work from (desks are too small), as are the rooms.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Was just looking at photos of the Vance... unless I am missing some extraordinary Platinum benefit, I think I'm just going to stay at the Courtyard since it is just so convenient. I can't be the only person that just wants a nice, quiet room and not some artsy bright red and white headboard.

Unfortunately for me, I happen to know a bunch of Titaniums will be staying at the CY too so I am not counting on an upgrade

-J.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by samosa
It is "fun" but not a place to work from (desks are too small), as are the rooms.
(I figured that went without saying)
samosa likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
(I figured that went without saying)
then boy was I a dummy. I did stay at another one with one of my kids and that was much better because the room had a better layout and they had some space to work.

ps for those who stay at the Vance, it is good for families as they have a game room on the second floor.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I happen to know a bunch of Titaniums will be staying at the [Convention Center] CY too so I am not counting on an upgrade
Eh, use the chat feature on the app and give it a shot; they've always been good to me.

Too bad yet another case of Covid collateral damage shut down the rooftop bar/restaurant at the Eastlund down the street; that used to be my go-to place when I'd say at the CC CY 😢
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I'll be- decided to check, and apparently it's back! https://mettavern.com/ I'd heard they'd gone belly-up!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Hi all,

Coming down to Portland next weekend - (for NCAA tournament) with my wife - we have reservations at Hi-Lo and Nines, with Suite Night vouchers in play at each.

Assuming the price for the rooms works out about the same, what factors should we consider in deciding which hotel to pick (suite upgrade is a factor, so is walking to restaurants, etc around hotel - we have no concerns about "grungy" streetscapes).

Thanks in advance for any advice/info - I'll take restaurant suggestions too!
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:42 pm

I don't have experience with upgrades at the Nines, but they're close enough to one another that your proximity to restaurants and what not is kind of non issue imo (particularly so based on your tolerance for the grungy thing to begin with.) This is all to say that I'd focus purely on the room you're aspiring to get and not think twice about the location.
Vancouver Guy likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:25 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Vancouver Guy
Hi all,

Coming down to Portland next weekend - (for NCAA tournament) with my wife - we have reservations at Hi-Lo and Nines, with Suite Night vouchers in play at each.

Assuming the price for the rooms works out about the same, what factors should we consider in deciding which hotel to pick (suite upgrade is a factor, so is walking to restaurants, etc around hotel - we have no concerns about "grungy" streetscapes).

Thanks in advance for any advice/info - I'll take restaurant suggestions too!
Nines: Classic upscale luxury hotel with lots of Marble and contemporary art being show cased. NBA players typically stay there. Their club has great wine and beer selection. The upstairs restaurant isn’t as good with the main chef leaving; just not the same flavor profile. Breakfast is good.

Hi-Lo: Dark colors with gold accents; with a splash of cement themed hotel. No club that I’m aware of. Restaurant is ok. Same restaurant for breakfast and dinner versus two separate restaurants for nines.

If you want more upscale, stick with Nines. If you are open to trying both out; that would be the best way to know which one you like. There both similar in location. Upgrades are hit or miss with both hotels, and depends on occupancy. If it’s a Trailblazer home game, not going to happen.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Mar 13, 2022 at 1:50 am
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Had a good and well-priced stay at The Vance. The location was perfect for my needs with easy access to PSU, Portland Art Museum, the waterfront, etc. and plentiful transit to dining and nightlife in East Portland. Rooms were immaculately clean, the bed comfortable, the desk and chair functional, even if the unfinished concrete walls and ceiling and modern metallic wardrobe could feel a bit too hip? This is PDX after all!

The hotel gym (24/7) and small bistro were open, although based on earlier reviews upthread I did not bother with dining at the hotel. The neighborhood felt quiet and safe, at least to this New Yorker. There are some tent shelters across the street FYI but the folks there are no bother.

The front desk staff (typically just one person at any given time) tries hard and means well but don't expect the concierge-level service you might receive at full-service property. As a Gold, I received an upgrade to the highest hotel floor, with nice window views of the hills South and Southwest, and a couple of bottles of water.

I personally preferred this more peaceful and greener location to that of the Courtyard closer downtown.
mgreg, samosa and mildfrequence like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:41 pm

(They call the courtyard "downtown convention center" but honestly to any local the Vance is more "downtown" than that by virtue of being southwest.)
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

I stayed at the Courtyard last month (as it was very close to my office and there is a Starbucks across the street). Got upgraded to a rum with a couch on a higher floor -- one of my colleagues with no status got a room with no couch. Extremely friendly and helpful staff -- they were happy to put some items into their freezer for me. Nothing special given it's a CY but it was very convenient and that's probably where I'll stay next time (if there is a next time).

We had dinner one night at the Urban Farmer Portland on the 8th floor of the Nines. I thought it was very good for what it was.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.