Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
taking the family to taiwan for a week long vacation in june....will be spending about 3-4 days in taipei....i'm still a little undecided between the sheraton & the le méridien....we are pretty much going to do the usual touristy things like sightseeing, shopping, eating at local restaurants, etc....to the experts in this area, which property would you pick between the 2????
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:53 am

I just stayed at the Sheraton, W, and Le Meridien.

If you want sightseeing, Le Meridien is good if you have family.

W's open concept bathroom may not be suited for family, plus their pool is outdoor, which can be quite HOT during summer time.

Le Meridien got very nice small pool on the 3rd Floor, plus the rooms are nice and new, and not to mention their breakfast buffet. I have tried their lunch and dinner buffet. They are one of the best buffets in town right now.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:02 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Take a peak at my review in the Sheraton Taipei thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15989043-post194.html
FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Apr 9, 2011 at 6:04 am Reason: added link
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:04 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by Keyser
taking the family to taiwan for a week long vacation in june....will be spending about 3-4 days in taipei....i'm still a little undecided between the sheraton & the le méridien....we are pretty much going to do the usual touristy things like sightseeing, shopping, eating at local restaurants, etc....to the experts in this area, which property would you pick between the 2????
Check out the W also? lovely property and fresh concept like most W props
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by A2A
Check out the W also? lovely property and fresh concept like most W props
the w is a lot more expensive than the other 2....if it were just my wife & me then i would definitely stay at the w....but 3 rooms for 4 nights at the w will cost me a lot more than staying at the le méridien....
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Back in the 80's and 90's I always stayed at what was then the Lai Lai Sheraton. Then
I switched for few years to the Interconti Imperial ( since closed), and then for the past 10 years or so I've been staying at the Westin. This week I went back to the Sheraton
( since the best rate available at the Westin was 12,000 NTD!!!) I was blown away.
Refurbished rooms, upgraded to wonderful suite, and the Lounge food offerings put the
Westin to shame ( especially the evening offerings).
I will be making the Sheraton my new home in Taipei for the forseeable future.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:27 pm

W or Westin

Which property is better in terms of comfort, W or Westin? Both can be booked using C&P so the cost won't be an issue for me. I'll be staying at Le Meridiem later on so I'm just interested in W or Westin.

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by needmomile
Which property is better in terms of comfort, W or Westin? Both can be booked using C&P so the cost won't be an issue for me. I'll be staying at Le Meridiem later on so I'm just interested in W or Westin.

Thanks
W is brand spanking new. More "fresh" than the Westin. Awesome pool scene if you are into that. Wonderful W beds

Westin has a executive lounge. Older property with heavenly beds.

More $$ for your points at the W as the rates are generally higher at the W
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:39 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I stayed in both the Westin and the Sharaton Taipei. Both provides free buffet breakfast for Platinum members.

Westin upgraded me to a suite. I remember they had l'occitane ammenities (ie bodywash, shampoo, conditioner..etc). Buffet was on the 2nd floor and it was comfortable, small but good enough and elegant enough. Offering was American style. I didn't know it was fancy stuff until I liked the body-wash and tried buying one in Canada - whopping $30 per bottle of body wash - made in France.

Sharaton was a room (and it was forgetable since I can't remember how the room was like). The buffet breakfast was one I didn't forget. It was big and good. The Chinese stuff was a little off of my taste buds (I have Hong Kong tastes buds with Chinese food) - but nothing dangeriously exotic. The airport bus (not related to the hotel) departs is at the back of the hotel. The front desk tries to sell me a ride to the airport by the over-the-top hotel Bentley which I clearly reject (would have reconsidered had it been a normal car or a hybrid or a plain jane taxi) for $US50. If you have 4 people, it would be economical to take the Bentley...

Both hotels are not far from train station that takes you everywhere in Taipei.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Haven't stayed at Le Meridien or W (yet). Prior to becoming Cat 4, it was a no brainer staying at the Sheraton Lai Lai. However, I would still stay at the Sheraton Lai Lai over Westin (if the same price). I love the ease of riding the MRT, more upgrades (and better suites; director's and diplomat), more food stuff, and better restaurants.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:05 pm

The advantage for Sheraton is that the MTR station (Long Shan Temple) is right outside, literally 30 seconds walk. And the Blue Line (or Ban Nan Line) takes you to all the major Taipei Entertainment areas without having to switch lines.

W is nice and never stayed there, and walking distance to many hip bars. But also not so easy to take MTR.

Le Meridien is very nice, but not close to MTR lines at all so be prepare for many taxi rides.

Forget about Four Points in Chung Ho, it's literally in the middle of nowhere and a good 30-40 min. cab ride to Taipei downtown or good areas (depending on traffic.) Made the mistake of staying there once, never again.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy

W is nice and never stayed there, and walking distance to many hip bars. But also not so easy to take MTR.
The W is right on top of the City Hall MRT Station, same as Sheraton's 30 second walk from the entrance, and on the same Blue Line...
Old Jun 17, 2011, 4:14 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
Le Meridien is not more than maximum 5 min. walk to the MRT. In my opinion better location than Sheraton.

Last edited by micke100; Jun 17, 2011 at 4:15 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:12 am
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Back in the 80's and 90's I always stayed at what was then the Lai Lai Sheraton. Then
I switched for few years to the Interconti Imperial ( since closed), and then for the past 10 years or so I've been staying at the Westin. This week I went back to the Sheraton
( since the best rate available at the Westin was 12,000 NTD!!!) I was blown away.
Refurbished rooms, upgraded to wonderful suite, and the Lounge food offerings put the
Westin to shame ( especially the evening offerings).
I will be making the Sheraton my new home in Taipei for the forseeable future.
are ALL rooms in sheraton refurbished?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by evq
are ALL rooms in sheraton refurbished?
I believe they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.