Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by portfolioflyer
I'm trying to book a night using reward points on NYE @ the Westin, but SPG says there are no rooms available. Does that mean the hotel is fully booked on NYE? I know they reserve some rooms for upgrades and what not. I am just a regular member, what are the chances of me being able to book a room? Do a lot of people usually cancel? Thank you!
Chances are slim.

NYE is very popular with locals who book hotel rooms to celebrate and view NYE fireworks which is in eastern part of Taipei. You can see the same thing with Grand Hyatt, Le Meridien etc which are sold out months in advance often at close to rack rates. Sheraton is available since it is in western part of Taipei. You may want to consider it. BTW, they don't exclude room from inventory for upgrades. You can only get the upgrades if there are unsold inventory left when you check in.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:38 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Question Which *Wood Property in Taipei?

... for an upcoming one night stay in Taipei:

• Le Méridien Taipei
  • Sheraton Taipei
  • The Westin Taipei
  • Sheraton Hsinchu
  • Four Points by Sheraton Chung Ho

Considering the following:

- Time/distance to TPE
- Time/distance to city center, Taipei 101, entertainment, dining, etc.
- Platinum treatment & amenities (UG, lounge, free minibar, breakfast, etc.)

I did the search and couldn't find any *Wood Property comaprison in Taipei thread. With the mods' approval this would serve as a master-thread for regardless of how many night stays. Thank you!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:16 am

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
The Sheraton is right downtown. It has a very good lounge ( outstanding breakfast and evening service). Treats Platinums well as a rule, although this hasn't always been the case in respect of upgrades ( but getting better)
The Westin is in the east of Taipei. It is more a business hotel although the area in which it is located is quite fashionable with lots of shopping and relatively close proximity to Taipei 101. Not great on upgrades for Platinums. The Lounge is good although not in the same league as the Sheraton.
Le Meridien is new and haven't stayed there
Hsinchu is 50 miles from Taipei
cheers

Originally Posted by Kalboz

• Le Méridien Taipei
  • Sheraton Taipei
  • The Westin Taipei
  • Sheraton Hsinchu

- Time/distance to TPE

I did the search and couldn't find any *Wood Property comaprison in Taipei thread. With the mods' approval this would serve as a master-thread for regardless of how many night stays. Thank you!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:33 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Do not forget the W Taipei is taking bookings from February 14 2011.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:43 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT

• Le Méridien Taipei
  • Sheraton Taipei
  • The Westin Taipei
  • Sheraton Hsinchu

- Time/distance to TPE

TPE the airport is in Taoyuan about 40 miles from Taipei City itself.

Sheraton would be the most convenient for transportation, within a few blocks from Taipei Main Station.

Le Meridien is brand new, but is maybe 15 min (USD $6) cab ride from TPE station, located in the heart of Hsinyi,

Entertainment, depending on what you're looking for... clubs, bars, lounges, etc. theres a good selection of them within walking distance of Le Meridian, with the popular ones being Barcode / Room 18 or even Spark, all of which are the trendy places and also foreigner friendly. But if you can define entertainment a bit better, I can help you narrow down the places.

Sherton Hsinchu is new, but is extremely far from Taipei... not recommended unless you have business there.

I'm not too familiar with the area around Westin but its also a very nice hotel.

Four Points Chung Ho... is also far out from downtown taipei... i would say a 30 min ($10 usd) cab ride.

Any questions feel free to ask... i was there 5 times this year
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Le Meridien would be number 1 in my opinion. For the poster that said the Sheraton is in the middle of downtown, I definitely disagree. Yes, it is closest to the Taipei Main Station, but the heart of the city is in the XinYi and Zhongxiao Dunhua areas, where the Le Meridien is closest. It is also the newest. From the LM, you can walk to taipei 101, the eslite and shin kong mitsukoshi buildings, sun yat sen memorial hall, etc.
The sheraton is a great hotel- they treat plats very well, but there is not nearly as much to see in that area except for snake alley, which is overrated anyways.
I really do like the westin, but you are not on an mrt line (12 min walk to the nearest station), and the area is pretty dead at night.
The four points is way out of the city center and you would have to take taxis everywhere.
The Hsinchu property is basically in the silicon valley of taiwan and is about an equal distance from taipei as the silicon valley is from san francisco. it is definitely not recommended even if you have a car. In terms of convenience, newness, etc, the LM cant be beat.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:46 am

Downtown in Taipei depends one your interests. For things of historical interest ( museums, art, Lungshan temple, ) then the area closest to the Sheraton . For up-market shopping then Xinyi area is appropriate.

Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
Le Meridien would be number 1 in my opinion. For the poster that said the Sheraton is in the middle of downtown, I definitely disagree. Yes, it is closest to the Taipei Main Station, but the heart of the city is in the XinYi and Zhongxiao Dunhua areas, where the Le Meridien is closest. It is also the newest. From the LM, you can walk to taipei 101, the eslite and shin kong mitsukoshi buildings, sun yat sen memorial hall, etc.
The sheraton is a great hotel- they treat plats very well, but there is not nearly as much to see in that area except for snake alley, which is overrated anyways.
I really do like the westin, but you are not on an mrt line (12 min walk to the nearest station), and the area is pretty dead at night.
The four points is way out of the city center and you would have to take taxis everywhere.
The Hsinchu property is basically in the silicon valley of taiwan and is about an equal distance from taipei as the silicon valley is from san francisco. it is definitely not recommended even if you have a car. In terms of convenience, newness, etc, the LM cant be beat.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:39 pm

• Le Méridien Taipei
  • Sheraton Taipei
  • The Westin Taipei
  • Sheraton Hsinchu

- Time/distance to TPE

I stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Chung Ho several times a year. It is out of central Taipei so not real convenient for frequent downtown trips. MRT is the fastest way. Either walk (10 mins) to the station or a short taxi ride. Cabs are fine but during rush hour it can be a 45 minute trip.

Having said that, the rates at the 4 Points are usually around $100 USD - much cheaper than the other properties.

The 4 Points in Asia are nothing like the 4 Points in the US so don't be put off by the brand
Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
It's been a few years, but I remember a pretty easy walk to/from the MRT station from the Westin. Nanjing East Rd/Fuxing Rd intersection, or walk further south to the Blue line?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
4p Chung Ho is too far from the city, no lounge and only 2 suites so expect 0 upgrades. Good if you are going there on business but otherwise stay away.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Going to TPE for a couple nights with wife, kid and parents.. What's really important is 1) good location for seeing stuff 2) Good platinum recognition. I really would like to have a suite upgrade for one of the rooms because of the kid.

Thanks
FDW
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:14 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Anyone have any experience with local citizens rates and these hotels? I would like to book a room for my parents (who qualify for the rates) and then upgrade them using points (either exec floor or suite). Is it best to contact the hotels directly?

FDW
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Anyone have any experience with local citizens rates and these hotels? I would like to book a room for my parents (who qualify for the rates) and then upgrade them using points (either exec floor or suite). Is it best to contact the hotels directly?

FDW
You need to contact the hotel directly. They will quote you local rate (if you speak mandarin). Or you can check out taiwanese online travel site like EZ travel or Lion Travel. Rates on these websites are normally "locals" only if you read the terms and conditions...

i would go with the Sheraton for Executive benefits...
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:43 pm

Definitely The Sheraton. It's very welcoming and the lounge is great and , as you probably know, very popular with locals. The Westin is a nice hotel but more suited in both style and location to a business stay.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
Best for Golds?

Which hotelīs the best for golds (or actually Starwood Preferred Business).

Planning on using my Thaimiles for one night at either Westin or Sheraton. Seems like Sheraton is the nicer hotel now after their renovation but does anyone know if thereīs any difference in treatment for golds at the hotels. And as specified before itīs an award stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.