Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
4 pts I lived in Taipei and the reason why 4 pts only costs NT$2700 bacause the location. It's far-far-far-far away the city downtown area, a least 20-30 minutes drive from Sheraton to 4 pts. You have to combine taxi and subway if you choose to stay in 4 pts and transfer between hotel and downtown area...
Matt is right in that it is located in a commuter suburb of city central.

This hotel is our home away from home when we have to go to Taipei. The newer MRT station makes this an easy commute to the downtown core. For people who are budget conscious, it pretty good.

There is a taxi stop outside the hotel so you never have to wait for a taxi. It is a 5 min taxi ride to the MRT.

We stay at this 4 points at least 2-3 times every year for 1-2 weeks at a time. Food gets a tad boring and every place you want to go will involve a taxi but if you add it up in the end, it is an economical alternative.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 4:49 pm

Sheraton vs westin

I have stayed in both Sheraton and Westin. As far as I am concerned, they are about equal.

Sheraton has gone through major remedelling in the last two years so they look fresh and sharper. Westin's furnishing is a little dated but they have maintained it sufficiently. I picked bewtween the hotels on the basis of the room rates as I consiered them equal. Recently, the rate for Sheraton has been consistently 10% higher than Westin. If I use starpoint award, I definitely go to Sheraton because of the Category 3 level. The amentities are pretty much the same in both hotels but Westin recently stoppd leaving toiletry in the bathroom as they are pushing to sell you the "Mouten Brown" set.

As far as access to subway, entrance to subway is almost right outside the main entrance of Sheraton; however, Westin's access to the "Brown" line is only a block away; the station is adjacent to the Brother Hotel. There is major subway construction in the street fronting Westin so traffic is quite congested sometimes but surprisingly, you don't hear much construction noise.

I think the food services or varieties of food are a bit better at Westin. I like the Italian restaurant at Westin.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 3:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, KE, OZ Hyatt Platinum, Int Ambassador,
How about the breakfast buffet and the lounge offerings on both Sheraton and Westin? How do they compare?

For those who have been to Hyatt, would u say either sheraton or Westin is better than hyatt if at all?
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by somuchtosee
How about the breakfast buffet and the lounge offerings on both Sheraton and Westin? How do they compare?
I have stayed at the Sheraton quite a few times as a Platinum and never got a suite upgrade. At the Westin and the Four Points I always get a suite.
The buffet in the lounge is much better at the Westin, much fancier food than the Sheraton. The afternoon tea at the Sheraton lounge is a joke. They only put out 5 tiny pieces of cake and it takes ages to restock.

The only advantage of the Sheraton is the free wireless internet in the lounge and the lobby, but now I go to the Westin only.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by DUflyer
I have stayed at the Sheraton quite a few times as a Platinum and never got a suite upgrade. At the Westin and the Four Points I always get a suite.
The buffet in the lounge is much better at the Westin, much fancier food than the Sheraton. The afternoon tea at the Sheraton lounge is a joke. They only put out 5 tiny pieces of cake and it takes ages to restock.

The only advantage of the Sheraton is the free wireless internet in the lounge and the lobby, but now I go to the Westin only.
IME, I have always been preblocked a platinum upgrade the 5 times I've stayed at the Sheraton Taipei in the past 12 months. The suite upgrades are between the junior suites or the diplomatic one bedroom suites, always (still trying to figure out if the Sheraton suite can be upgraded to ). See my trip reports at the hotel's master thread on FT.

I've stayed at the Westin Taipei twice this year. Both times upgraded to the one-bedroom suite, preblocked and shown on SPG a day before arrival.

As far as club lounge, I like the Sheraton Taipei club lounge better than the Westin. The food selection is better and staff members are friendlier. There are more things to do around the Sheraton Taipei area and there are more transportation options (i.e. MRT right at the door).

Haven't staying at the Four Points Chungho yet, but would love to someday.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:55 am

I've had suite upgrades my last 3 stays at the Sheraton.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
I've had suite upgrades my last 3 stays at the Sheraton.
It seems they don't like me. The best upgrade I ever got was a director room (about 40% of my stays). About half of my stays I got a premier room. The one night where an upgrade would have been most important to me, they only gave me their lowest category room. That was a major disappointment.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:49 pm

It seems they don't like me. The best upgrade I ever got was a director room (about 40% of my stays). About half of my stays I got a premier room. The one night where an upgrade would have been most important to me, they only gave me their lowest category room. That was a major disappointment.
In my original post, the "junior suite" referenced was suppose to be the Director's Room (forgot the name during my original post). It looks like the Director's Room is very good for families that have more than 2 people because only this type of room at the Sheraton (per discussion with front desk) have two double-sized beds, very rare in Taipei where most rooms are twin-bedded and rollaways for additional occupants.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:45 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Next time if a Diplomatic Suite is available and you don't get it. Do complain to Starwood Customer Service.

Dear Mr. Chang:

Greeting again from Sheraton Taipei.

I was informed by Starwood regarding your inqury. Please be kinldy advised that Diplomatic Suite in the Sheraton Taipei Hotel is not the specialty suites. Platunum card holder can get upgraded UP to Diplomatic Suite upon check-in, subject to availability. However, this is meant for card holder himself or herself ONLY, i.e. one room.

Shall there be information needed, please let me know.

Best regards,

Kay Hsieh
Executive Assistant to General Manager
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
jjust a quick update: if you happen to be in taipei and is after the world cup AND is looking for an SPG hotel, westin taipei is NOT for you, but the 4P Sheraton in Chunghe would be good. totally different style, but even the cab ride would justify for the inconvenience!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Sheraton

My vote is for the Sheraton, always have been treated very well there, especially by Club level staff. The MRT station being virtually outside the front door is an additional advantage
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
I am in the early stages of planning an initial Taipei trip.Looks like 3-4 trips/year.
Will miss the LM/W openings for my first trip so any updates on Westin v Sheraton??
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onfillmore
I am in the early stages of planning an initial Taipei trip.Looks like 3-4 trips/year.
Will miss the LM/W openings for my first trip so any updates on Westin v Sheraton??
It all depends on where you need to be. In general, the Sheraton is more centrally located. I would guess (but not sure) the restaurants, etc. are also cheaper in the Sheraton than in the Westin.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:26 am

I'm trying to book a night using reward points on NYE @ the Westin, but SPG says there are no rooms available. Does that mean the hotel is fully booked on NYE? I know they reserve some rooms for upgrades and what not. I am just a regular member, what are the chances of me being able to book a room? Do a lot of people usually cancel? Thank you!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:38 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by portfolioflyer
I'm trying to book a night using reward points on NYE @ the Westin, but SPG says there are no rooms available. Does that mean the hotel is fully booked on NYE? I know they reserve some rooms for upgrades and what not. I am just a regular member, what are the chances of me being able to book a room? Do a lot of people usually cancel? Thank you!
You may try writing in to the property but from the reservation system I am using right at this moment, it is showing zero availability for all types of rooms.

Here is the published email address: [email protected].

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.