Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:18 am
yyy

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PCheng
Just called Sheraton Taipei, and was told that hotel's policy is to upgrade only Platinum members. Was also informed that even though there is a new club lounge, no breakfast is served there.

Room photos on the SPG website looked awesome, with seperate shower and bath, dark wood veneer and huge plasma TV. Unfortunately these seem to be the executive level rooms, the receptionist said the regular rooms are smaller, and has standard TV rather than plasma.
The premier room which I am staying in right now (Rate = $5400) has a plasma TV. With the buy 2 get 1 free or buy 4 get 2 free, it comes to ~ $4000 including service charge.
Old May 3, 2006, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone stayed at the Four Points? Where is it located, and what is the treatment of Platinums?
Old May 3, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GM/Hyatt Diamond/SPG Gold/HI Plat/HHonor Gold/Delta GM
Taipei SPG

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Anyone stayed at the Four Points? Where is it located, and what is the treatment of Platinums?
The 4pts is not very convienent as far as location goes (unless you are working nearby). It is located in Chun-Ho (an light industrial town, suburb of Taipei). You will need to hire taxi to get there. I have stay there couple times (using points). As platinum, I got a corner room at 6th floor (about the same size as regular room but with windows on both sizes) and free internet access. They did not give me an executive room, which is at upper floors. Also, they do not provide any free breakfast voucher. The plus side is that the hotel is relatively new and clean and is a Cat 2 hotel. They do have decent exercise room and sauna, whirlpool pool.

The Sheraton Lai Lai is a real nice hotel after the recent renovation. I got a very nice large size room (also using points) with plasma TV and fruit basket/L'occitine(sp?) shower kit. The lounge is pretty nice (one of the best I have been for SPG) and I did get free breakfast there (also internet access).

The Westin is so so in my opinion. Room size is average but location is good.
Old May 6, 2006, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PCheng
Just called Sheraton Taipei, and was told that hotel's policy is to upgrade only Platinum members. Was also informed that even though there is a new club lounge, no breakfast is served there.

Room photos on the SPG website looked awesome, with seperate shower and bath, dark wood veneer and huge plasma TV. Unfortunately these seem to be the executive level rooms, the receptionist said the regular rooms are smaller, and has standard TV rather than plasma.

Have things changed? Are they offering breakfast and evening snacks there now?
Old May 6, 2006, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Have things changed? Are they offering breakfast and evening snacks there now?
All Plats are granted access to Executive Lounge which serves breakfast and evening snacks. One of the best lounge spreads. ^ :-: Free WiFi in the lounge as well. ^
Old May 6, 2006, 8:28 pm

Programs: NW, SPG, PC
I'm planning to visit one of the *wood locations and have noticed that downtown Taipei is not very close to the airport. Does anyone know whether the Sheraton operates their own transportation to/from the airport? Or, are taxis/... the standard fare?

Thanks very much for any responses.
Old May 6, 2006, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by wisc
I'm planning to visit one of the *wood locations and have noticed that downtown Taipei is not very close to the airport. Does anyone know whether the Sheraton operates their own transportation to/from the airport? Or, are taxis/... the standard fare?

Thanks very much for any responses.
Don't know whether the Sheraton operates their own transportation, but taxis are plentiful and cheap. In average traffic, should take 35-40 minutes to get to downtown, at a cost of approx. TWD 800-900. However, when I go to Taipei, I usually get my friend to book a private car (Lexus or Mercedes), and the cost is only TWD 1,000 to the major hotels.
Old May 6, 2006, 9:04 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Don't know whether the Sheraton operates their own transportation, but taxis are plentiful and cheap. In average traffic, should take 35-40 minutes to get to downtown, at a cost of approx. TWD 800-900. However, when I go to Taipei, I usually get my friend to book a private car (Lexus or Mercedes), and the cost is only TWD 1,000 to the major hotels.
Not sure, but I sort of recall seeing a "sheraton" placard at the airport. I do know definately that the Far Eastern does provide a car service. I usually take a Bus (about a half dozen bus companies operate out of CKS) which costs between 120-150NT to the Major hotels.
Old May 6, 2006, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
You're going to be in the vehicle for a while from the airport into Taipei city. Maybe I was in bad traffic both times, but I seem to remember over an hour each way. If you want non-shared transportation, take the luxury sedan for the very negligible increased price over a taxi ^. I don't remember many roomy cabs in Taipei, not even the "airport" cab I accidently took. I still don't understand why he was at the taxistand at the National Palace Museum...
Old May 7, 2006, 2:04 am

The Sheraton does provide a transportation service. They have a couple of Lexus that pic you up from the airport. Just tell them when u make your reservation, that you want to be picked up from the airport.
cost:NTD 1900,-...Very convenient if you do not want to deal with the taxi drivers there.
Old May 7, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
How do you get in on that buy 2 get 1 free. I remember seeing it before but can't find it anymore?
Old May 7, 2006, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've stayed at the Lai-Lai a couple of times as a Gold and was treated very well...including an Ambassador Suite once [though I suspect that was due to the fact the hotel was full, housing businessmen who could not get home due to the typhoon that had blown through the day before I got there]. On the other stay got a room on SPG floor with lounge access...as noted, however, this is not the same as the Exec Lounge that Plats would have access to. Tea and light pastries was the extent of the spread, newspapers and other "services".

This was before the reno, so it sounds like rooms are very nice now. Mine was quite large...the only problem was the humidity was so high, the windows remained fogged! Suite was very nice two room one, well furnished at the time.

Sheraton is much more convenient if you are a tourist in town. It is right on the main MRT line, and a short walk to many of the major tourist sites, museums and markets/temples. I believe it is the Red airport bus line that runs to the Sheraton, so it is easy and cheap to get into the city and back out to the airport. (If not red, then either Green or Blue line will get you to/from the hotel.)

As noted, the FOUR POINTS is quite out of the way. The WESTIN seems more suited for those going to big conventions in the city, though it is near one of the newer shopping districts, it is not very convenient to much else of interest to non-business visitors.
Old May 9, 2006, 10:21 am
yyy

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tfong007
How do you get in on that buy 2 get 1 free. I remember seeing it before but can't find it anymore?
Buy 2 and get 1 free and others. Enjoy!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...egory=GENDRE_H
Old May 9, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Sheraton is much more convenient if you are a tourist in town. It is right on the main MRT line, and a short walk to many of the major tourist sites, museums and markets/temples. I believe it is the Red airport bus line that runs to the Sheraton, so it is easy and cheap to get into the city and back out to the airport. (If not red, then either Green or Blue line will get you to/from the hotel.)

As noted, the FOUR POINTS is quite out of the way. The WESTIN seems more suited for those going to big conventions in the city, though it is near one of the newer shopping districts, it is not very convenient to much else of interest to non-business visitors.
Very much agreed. The Sheraton location is excellent for all but those who need to be closer to 101 and the convention center. Plus, the MRT stop is just one stop from the major north-south line too.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Sheraton or Westin in Taipei?

I need some opinions from this crowd.

For bang for the buck, which one should I stay in when I am in Taipei with my wife? I have been to both of them but haven't really "lived it up" in either. Previous stays totaled 2 days combined. My wife wants Westin but I'm leaning towards Sheraton with their renovations.

I know that the location for Westin is slightly more cornered (at a loss for an adjective) than the Sheraton (on Chung Hsiao E Rd, MRT across from road).

Do I listen to the wife or ignore her?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.