Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
I just had a 5 night stay at the Sheraton and loved it. Great renovated room with plasma tv with wonderful staff and club lounge.

The MRT is actually on the same side of the street as the Sheraton. Just head out the front door and take a right!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 3, 2008 at 2:41 pm Reason: Removed broken links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks for a helpful thread -- one question: how easy is it to get from TPE international airport to/from the Sheraton? I'll be getting in around 8pm at night and leaving at 4pm the next day. What are my options and their ballpark cost?

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
....how easy is it to get from TPE international airport to/from the Sheraton? I'll be getting in around 8pm at night and leaving at 4pm the next day. What are my options and their ballpark cost?...
There is a direct bus service run by Airbus. It departs once every 30 minutes and, after several intermediate stops, drops you off right in front of Sheraton. It takes around 80 minutes and costs $4. Taxi would be around $30 and takes 40 minutes. Hotel limo is about $45.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I assume the OP made his decision long ago, but FWIW my recent stay at the Sheraton was excellent. Got a great room as a mere gold and found the public spaces impressive and the staff to be very courteous, helpful, etc. ^ ^ ^

And the taxi from the airport was just as easy, quick and cheap as TerryK says above.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Taipei Hotels

Was looking through some of the old threads on Westin and Sheraton (Lai Lai). I believe that some of these posts might be outdated as they were posted before rumblings of a renovation were made.
Does anyone have any recent experiences with either the Westin or Sheraton? Which one should I book at?
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
My personal experience, Sheraton Taipei got a better location and excellent public transportation (1 minutes walk to both MRT & Bus station). Also, there's airport bus stop in front of hotel and costs US$4 from/to int'l airport in Taoyuan.

Both of them have club lounge / floor but Sheraton Taipei provided better upgrade opportunity/room type and room facilities (plasma TV) & amenities (L'occitane bathroom set) for plat member.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 3, 2008 at 2:42 pm Reason: Removed broken links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:16 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I answered on another thread, linked here.

Two thumbs up for Westin Taipei.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
Westin: better bed, less croudy
Sheraton: excellent restaurants

just a few points which are important to me. I end up by switching between these two hotels all the time..
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Stayed at both back in Dec 2007. Both have lounge, but Sheraton allows smoking in the lounge. I much prefer Westin (and love the corner grand deluxe room over the suites). If using points, then go with Sheraton (Cat 3) vs Westin (Cat 3). Paying cash, Westin is typically cheaper (but have another 5.5% tax on top of the 10% service charge).

I was given junior suites at Sheraton on 14th Fl, but it's still can hear the traffic. Westin has that situation as well due to MRT construction. I was there on 12/22 (Saturday night), and the MRT crew started work at 12AM!!!!!
Old May 3, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by entilzhaFT
Very much agreed. The Sheraton location is excellent for all but those who need to be closer to 101 and the convention center. Plus, the MRT stop is just one stop from the major north-south line too.
hi--two quick spg taipei questions:
so does everyone prefer the sheraton to the westin for a tourist trip? does anyone know if the sheraton will upgrade a platinum on a free (ie all points) reward stay to a suite? or is it better to pay just for the 1st night or do cash and points
Old May 3, 2008, 11:55 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
1.Go for sheraton especially when you want to use points. Cat 3 vs Cat 4. 2. Platinum upgrade is irrelavant to the type of rates as long as you book via starwood. 3. Don't ask the same question in 2 threads.

Originally Posted by sohony
hi--two quick spg taipei questions:
so does everyone prefer the sheraton to the westin for a tourist trip? does anyone know if the sheraton will upgrade a platinum on a free (ie all points) reward stay to a suite? or is it better to pay just for the 1st night or do cash and points
Old May 3, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jimmychang
1.Go for sheraton especially when you want to use points. Cat 3 vs Cat 4. 2. Platinum upgrade is irrelavant to the type of rates as long as you book via starwood. 3. Don't ask the same question in 2 threads.
thanks for responding to my question (which wasn't the same on the other thread btw, as i asked the question first about the westin, on that thread, before i noticed that seemed more of a business location and i should perhaps stay at the sheraton, as this is an anniversary trip for me and mrs soho)

i don't understand why platinum upgrade is irrelevant though. some spg hotels upgrade me to a suite when i'm on a free award stay while others do so only on a paid stay--do you have any personal experience of this at the sheraton in taipei, which was really my question.

thanks again
Old May 3, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
It's irrelavent by T&C and in practice no matter which property you stay.

In Q&A, Q1:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660824

Also read the thread below to see how the front desk decides the upgrade.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9246414

I have stayed in Sheraton Taipei many times and have always been upgraded to a suite albeit none was award stay. If you believe you are not upgraded when an upgraded room is available, you should always contact corporate customer service.

Originally Posted by sohony
i don't understand why platinum upgrade is irrelevant though. some spg hotels upgrade me to a suite when i'm on a free award stay while others do so only on a paid stay--do you have any personal experience of this at the sheraton in taipei, which was really my question.

thanks again

Last edited by jimmychang; May 3, 2008 at 6:25 pm
Old May 4, 2008, 8:16 am

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
some recent experiences regarding Westin Taipei

- left the room one day around 9am, kept the "clean up my room" light on. I have left a bag of laundry in the room. When I returned to the room in the evening I have received a written message from the maid that she was only able to collect the bag around 1pm and therefore I can't get my laundry back at the same day... Not a big issue, if I were lucky this time to have some spare underwear/shirt. But usually I plan tighter and this would have caused me by not having anything to wear the next day. Unacceptable..

- this hotel is totally understaffed due to lack of business. and the training of the staff especially in the restaurants is totally bad. I usually go to most of the restaurants during my stay for dining/entertaining my clients except the East-West buffet restaurant. The main reason why I will never use this restaurant any more is the low quality of the food they provide there AND the shocking experience once to see a cockroach running around next to the buffet... And comparing to Sheraton Taipei the food in Westin is just simply average.

- another example: I was having a dinner with my clients in the Japanese restaurant and 2 other guests sat down next to us. They have been served with tea when they arrived but obviously they have waited for quite a long time to order and finally gave up by leaving the restaurant since not one staff showed up. I mean this can happen IF the restaurant were totally flooded with guests but that was not the case (approx 30% occupancy..). The most shocking experience was that even 45 minutes after those two guests left without being able to order (probably they were bad..), the table was still a mess! I mean not being attentive is something which I can understand if the working environment is pretty depressing because the business is not going that well. but being BLIND is unacceptable.

So to make my final conclusion: Go for Sheraton at all cost! Westin is a sinking ship which doesn't even have a general manager atm!! Who wants to work for a hotel facility which is doomed to be dead sooner or later? All the good staff which I know from early days are gone and now are just those dummies acting as living deads around.. harsh words but unfortunately the bloody reality... The ONLY good point left at this hotel is the heavently bed.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Sheraton or Westin Taipei?

I am debating between staying at either of these hotels. The Sheraton is a Cat 3 and Westin is Cat 4 however I don't see too much of a difference between the two. If anything, I have read reviews that the Westin is getting a little old... Any comments on whether it is worth the extra 3000 points per night?

Forget it! I got my answer. I will stay at the Sheraton!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 4, 2008 at 8:48 am Reason: Merged into existing thread. Any updates on these hotels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.