Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by jpdx
That's not true. No hotel will give you free breakfast, but the W has a happy hour for Plats and Golds. Great drinks in a pleasant space.
Does anyone have a recent update on the happy hour in the W? Is it still there for plats?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by arjen05
Does anyone have a recent update on the happy hour in the W? Is it still there for plats?
Yes.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Any recent reviews on the Sheraton vs the Westin and might as well throw in the Marriott as well? I know they are not new hotels. Have any of them been renovated recently? How do the lounges compare?

(Le Meridien and W are over my budget.)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Some
I stayed at the Marriott last week (as well as the W and Hotel Proverbs). The Marriott is new and modern throughout, much more so than both of the Westin and Sheraton, but is in a slightly less convenient location and is further to the centre of Taipei. Probably the highest end FS Marriott I’ve stayed in from a hard product perspective, service also generally very good. Upgrade was nothing special and lounge is again reasonable but nothing special for Asia. A very solid 4.5 stars I’d say.

I would rank the three W > Hotel Proverbs > Marriott for reference, Marriott might be equal with Hotel Proverbs if it had a better location.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Any recent reviews on the Sheraton vs the Westin and might as well throw in the Marriott as well? I know they are not new hotels. Have any of them been renovated recently? How do the lounges compare?

(Le Meridien and W are over my budget.)
Sheraton and Westin are better located. Proverb as well.
Marriott is newer and nicer but not ideally located for a tourist.
Haven't been to the new Renaissance, not as centrally located as Sheraton/Westin/Proverb but at least it's on the red subway line which I think it's better than the marriott location wise.

If location is important, then sheraton/Westin/proverb are good choices. My favorite is the proverb even if they only provide limited benefit for Plat. But if u need full benefit and a lounge, then maybe the Sheraton is a good choice.

If location is not that important, then the Renaissance and Marriott are newer property.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Westin is leaving Marriott end of this year - that may affect service. About 15-20 years ago, I ranked Westin above Sheraton, mainly because of the Lounge and Lounge staff,
who knew me very well. Many of the long-time lounge staff left, and the lounge manager was promoted to general management, and the good vibes left. Between 8-15 years ago,
both the westin and Sheraton were equal in my opinion. Over the past few years, I feel the Sheraton is better - lounge has improved and although the personal touch is not there,
the morning and evening offerings are great. Further, the subway station is right outside the door, as opposed to a 10 minute walk from the Westin.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Westin is leaving Marriott end of this year - that may affect service. About 15-20 years ago, I ranked Westin above Sheraton, mainly because of the Lounge and Lounge staff,
who knew me very well. Many of the long-time lounge staff left, and the lounge manager was promoted to general management, and the good vibes left. Between 8-15 years ago,
both the westin and Sheraton were equal in my opinion. Over the past few years, I feel the Sheraton is better - lounge has improved and although the personal touch is not there,
the morning and evening offerings are great. Further, the subway station is right outside the door, as opposed to a 10 minute walk from the Westin.
Thanks for all the input. I have a better rate at the Westin than the Sheraton (about 500 TWD cheaper, which I found after posting my request), and I still hold a grudge against the Sheraton for serving Shark's Fin Soup a couple of years ago. So I'll probably go with the Westin. My stay is in early Dec, before the closure.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If budget is a concern, I would redeem points in Taipei. The Courtyard is a great redemption after the 8/18 change.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just noticed that there's a new Sheraton opening close to the airport. Not a lot of details on the website, but it is supposed to open this morning. Free shuttle to both airport and HSR station. I'm getting in at 10 pm, so this would be a convenient place to stay for one night.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...taoyuan-hotel/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.