Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:07 pm
azj

Thanks for the transport advice. In the end, I may end up with a ride from a friends Parents who live in TPE. If the ride falls through, I like the idea of the bus actually. Not only for the cost, but for the experience. I enjoy luxury, but I'm not beneath public transport and I feel that taking public transport is apart of the adventure.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:46 pm

Evergreen Bus

I took the bus from TPE to the Westin Taipei. Pretty easy actually. At the airport the bus counter area was easy to find and the workers communicated well in English.

www.evergreen-eitc.com

Dropoff from the airport is at MRT East Nanjing Road and the stop is on the northwest corner of the interesection; quick walk over to the Westin

Going to the airport you wait pretty much in front of the Brass Monkey bar.

List of stops here
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BanffJasper
When will the renovation at Westin be completed? The choices of this thread title can be expanded to include the two new additions in the shopping area, W and Le Meridien.
There's no mention of Le Meridien Taipei on here. Why is that?

I'm currently trying to decide where to stay in Taipai (just got my GPG Plat status) and want to know where an upgrade to suite is more likely? (Westin, Sheraton, Meridien or W?) and which is the best hotel to stay at. There's too many options! And some of these thread comments are old, so it's difficult to judge which is now the better hotel. Can we have some info on the Meridien?

I like the Meridien brand generally... particularly here in Thailand. So hows the one in Taipai? Anyone care to comment - location, service, comfy bed? internet fast? club floor lounge (compared to the other Starwood hotels)?

Thanks

Last edited by ThaiFlier; Jul 31, 2013 at 11:59 pm
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by ThaiFlier
I'm currently trying to decide where to stay in Taipai (just got my GPG Plat status) and want to know where an upgrade to suite is more likely? (Westin, Sheraton, Meridien or W?) and which is the best hotel to stay at.
I like the W brand a lot (in Asia and Europe - US so-so).
I usually stay at the W in Taipei, about 5 times / year one week at a time. Only once in last two years did not get upgrade to a suite, close to the end of last year. Love the full breakfast Plat amenity and the staff is great. There's more discussion in the master thread.

It has been a while since I stayed in the LM, must be close to 2 years ago. Upgraded to a very nice suite, a bit larger and more traditional layout than at the W. The hotel is more quiet / low-key / traditional business style. Superb breakfast.

Location-wise they are almost equal, though the W sits atop Taipei City Hall Bus / MRT (blue line) stations.

So if you like LM brand more than the W - that's probably a better choice for you.
Objectively I'd say they are equal - I like the W brand more.

I've never stayed at the Westin and my info on the Sheraton is over two years old, though I sometimes have dinner at their restaurants. The lounge was great (as they tend to be in Asia) - hot foods, cold drinks, reasonable selection. Chef-carved meats.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I've stayed at Sheraton and Westin numerous times over the past 25 years, never
stayed at W ( I hate the brand and will never go back), and only attended a wedding
at Le Meridien during it;s soft openeing - never stayed there.

Sheraton and Westin are more convenient for my business meetings - they are close
to the offices I need to visit. I didn't like the look of Le M during the wedding I attended.

While there have been times when the Westin was better than the Sheraton, the past
few years I find the Sheraton superior to the Westin.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:53 pm

Taipei`s Starwood hotels

Looking for a hotel in Taipei, and it looks like Starwood has a few options while other chains have very limited options (or maybe I missed it).

Which Starwood properties in Taipei are great in terms of value/location/overall quality?
Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Taipei hotels are generally pretty expensive (relatively speaking) so I would try to find one with the lowest price. I've only stayed at the Sheraton Grande for a week in 2010 and while I did enjoy my stay, it's definitely showing its age. I'm originally from Taipei and I think my mom said that the hotel has been there since the 80s. It's not at all a bad hotel and I would definitely recommend it.

The W and the Le Meridien are both in Xinyi District and are close to Taipei 101 so it'll be convenient if you plan to visit that area. The Westin is in another part of town.

All of the hotels are located close to MRT stations. The MRT is your best option in getting around town.

The last hotel is the Four Points in Zhonghe. It's actually in New Taipei City and while it's the cheapest option, it's not that convenient to the MRT line. If you're a bit more adventurous you can give it a shot.

Perhaps a local or someone who visits Taipei frequently can chime in. You may want to check the individual hotel threads to see which one provides better service, upgrades, etc.

Last edited by BayAreaTraveler; Oct 23, 2013 at 8:23 am Reason: Updated Four Points information
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
The last hotel (and the newest one) is the Four Points in Zhonghe. It's actually in New Taipei City and while it's the cheapest option, it's not that convenient to the MRT line. If you're a bit more adventurous you can give it a shot.
This one is newer than the W Taipei? Really?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTT; UA 1k
the four points is not very convenient at all..

i personally prefer the w or le meridien. the w is directly above the mrt station.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
Taipei hotels are generally pretty expensive (relatively speaking) so I would try to find one with the lowest price. I've only stayed at the Sheraton Grande for a week in 2010 and while I did enjoy my stay, it's definitely showing its age. I'm originally from Taipei and I think my mom said that the hotel has been there since the 80s. It's not at all a bad hotel and I would definitely recommend it.

The W and the Le Meridien are both in Xinyi District and are close to Taipei 101 so it'll be convenient if you plan to visit that area. The Westin is in another part of town.

All of the hotels are located close to MRT stations. The MRT is your best option in getting around town.

The last hotel (and the newest one) is the Four Points in Zhonghe. It's actually in New Taipei City and while it's the cheapest option, it's not that convenient to the MRT line. If you're a bit more adventurous you can give it a shot.

Perhaps a local or someone who visits Taipei frequently can chime in. You may want to check the individual hotel threads to see which one provides better service, upgrades, etc.
There is a Westin on Nanjing East Rd near an MRT Station bearing the same road name. I have stayed there twice, not bad for a Westin property.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
This one is newer than the W Taipei? Really?
Never mind. For some reason I thought it was new but I must have confused it with something else. My knowledge of Taipei hotels are limited to the Sheraton and the Grand Hyatt.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I recommend the W.

Hands down the best starwood hotel i've stayed at, ever.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Have only stayed at W and LM in Taipei, and both are excellent, in terms of hard- and software.

Choose the W if you prefer a more edgy, hip atmosphere and decor, and the LM if clean, soothing white lines are your preference.

If you like a hotel with a happening bar where even non-guests queue up to enter, take the W. If you prefer to return to a quiet but dignified lobby and heave a sigh of relief that you're back at your hotel, pick the LM.

They're in the same area location wise (closest subway station City Hall), being only a 10 min walk apart. But taxis are quite cheap in Taipei so I wouldn't worry.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
I would take W hotel for its Suite is much larger and more spacious than LM. W also has much better view than LM.

W in HKG and Taipei are the best W we stayed around the world, including Paris W Opera and W Barcelona.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I stayed recently at the Sheraton and found it spectacular, although not hip in the W sense. The lounge is very nice and basically serves a free dinner each night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.