Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:43 pm

Just completed 2 stays at Sheraton (2 nites) and Westin (2 nites). The Sheraton Taipei is definitely nicer in terms of decor and overall maintenance of the room and hotel.

Both got upgraded to the suite.
Got L Occitane in the Sheraton executive suite, and Molton Brown at the Westin.

Sheraton is in a more convenient location for me, near to the Taipei Main Railway station, and subway is just 15 sec from the hotel. 10 - 20 mins by taxi to most location I visited such as Ximending, Taipei 101 and the nearby world trade centre, night market such as Shilin and HuaXi Street.

Westin service is also not up to par, esp at the lounge. Sheraton lounge service is much better. Jovi at Sheraton is helpful, while Joesph at Westin is probably the only employee that cares.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aircoco
Just completed 2 stays at Sheraton (2 nites) and Westin (2 nites). The Sheraton Taipei is definitely nicer in terms of decor and overall maintenance of the room and hotel.

Both got upgraded to the suite.
Got L Occitane in the Sheraton executive suite, and Molton Brown at the Westin.

Sheraton is in a more convenient location for me, near to the Taipei Main Railway station, and subway is just 15 sec from the hotel. 10 - 20 mins by taxi to most location I visited such as Ximending, Taipei 101 and the nearby world trade centre, night market such as Shilin and HuaXi Street.

Westin service is also not up to par, esp at the lounge. Sheraton lounge service is much better. Jovi at Sheraton is helpful, while Joesph at Westin is probably the only employee that cares.
The Sheraton is my hotel of choice when I visit my birth city, I can't say enough good things about this property!

Last edited by Motion122; Oct 13, 2008 at 7:32 pm
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by Motion122
This is my hotel of choice when I visit my birth city, I can't say enough good things about this property!
Which one? Sheraton?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:06 pm

definitely Sheraton Taipei. The location is one block away from the MRT station, very central and convinent. Got some awesome local eatries there include one of my favorite dumpling house in Taipei! (not ding tai fung, but way cheaper & better)
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I am amazed; Westin trumped by a Sheraton. No wonder Sheraton is now more expensive by NTD2,000.

Care to share the name of your favorite dumpling house and restaurants near Sheraton? Can't wait to have some good Chinese food.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Which one? Sheraton?
The Sheraton!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:27 am
yyy

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
My vote is now for Sheraton
- Convenient location
- Friendly staff
- Good selection of restaurants
- 1 minute away from the main subway line
- More spacious lobby, now with free WIFI

BTW, IMHO I think it is tough to top Ding Tai Fung on xiao-long-bao. If you go to Ding Tai Fung, make sure you go to the original one on ShinYi St. and make sure you also try their fried rice.

Last edited by yyy; Oct 14, 2008 at 11:38 am
Old Oct 15, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
I usually prefer Westin over any Sheraton worldwide but this Westin Taipei doesn't deserve the brand Westin. Starwood should seriously consider to de-brand this facility. Worst Westin I've EVER seen...

Go for the Sheraton at all cost!
Old Oct 15, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
stayed a couple of times at sheraton, best service all over and superb club lounge restaurant!

Originally Posted by bchl
I usually prefer Westin over any Sheraton worldwide but this Westin Taipei doesn't deserve the brand Westin. Starwood should seriously consider to de-brand this facility. Worst Westin I've EVER seen...

Go for the Sheraton at all cost!
Old Oct 15, 2008, 6:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I have stayed at both the Sheraton and Westin several times and I do prefer the Sheraton. But I think the Westin is getting a bad rap as if it were a bad property. I have never had any service problems and as a Platinum always received a suite. I would stay there again depending on the rate and my plans in Taipei.

My first choice however would be the Sheraton.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA PP
Cool

thanks for the recent post (a lot of the information was from awhile ago). Will be booking 1 night in Jan 2009 for a long layover. I was going back and forth between the Westin/Sheraton b/c I was planning to book with points so the review does help. Planning to book the Mercedes service to shuttle me back to the airport as a Birthday gift to myself

Cheers!~
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
If you know some local people or car service, you can do this for less than $40.

Originally Posted by lilazncanadian
Planning to book the Mercedes service to shuttle me back to the airport as a Birthday gift to myself

Cheers!~
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA PP
Originally Posted by jimmychang
If you know some local people or car service, you can do this for less than $40.
Thanks for the tip. Will get in touch with some people to plan for this. Better than the $2100 TWD that they are quoting for me ~$63 USD today.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:59 am

I am planning a 3 night stay in TPE this friday and it is interesting to note that the Sheraton Taipei, while a Cat 3, has a posted room rate is NT 6700 while and the Westin (a Cat 4) has a posted room rate of NT 5200. I am indifferent about using points or cash, the 4 pts with a posted room rate of NT 2700 looks attractive though despite what I've read in the reviews...
Any comments are appreciated
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by doesun
I am planning a 3 night stay in TPE this friday and it is interesting to note that the Sheraton Taipei, while a Cat 3, has a posted room rate is NT 6700 while and the Westin (a Cat 4) has a posted room rate of NT 5200. I am indifferent about using points or cash, the 4 pts with a posted room rate of NT 2700 looks attractive though despite what I've read in the reviews...
Any comments are appreciated
4 pts I lived in Taipei and the reason why 4 pts only costs NT$2700 bacause the location. It's far-far-far-far away the city downtown area, a least 20-30 minutes drive from Sheraton to 4 pts. You have to combine taxi and subway if you choose to stay in 4 pts and transfer between hotel and downtown area...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.