FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:34 am
FlyingDoctorwu

Thumbs up

Just wanted to post my experience here (positive!)

Pre-Arrival:
Booked a diplomat suite on points (14K/night) and a deluxe room (7k/night). We were traveling with my parents and my son and I wanted to guarantee a suite. So I paid for it (with points). I did contact reservations and had them make a note that I wanted my platinum benefits applied to the deluxe room. Two days prior to arrival, the deluxe room had been "pre-upgraded" to a diplomat suite on SPG! ^

Arrival:
I had consulted with the hotel re: transfers. They quoted a transfer cost of 3000 NT for a van for 4 adults and an infant. I declined. I got a contact form dtsm888 who quoted 1100 NT. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the transfer because my uncle contacted me prior to departure and insisted on picking us up. We arrived late, around 1130 PM but check in was quick and efficient and friendly. My mother asked about breakfast, and the check-in noted that both rooms would have club access (I think because plat status, not because of suites.. there is a separate exec level diplomat suite). Big bonus!

Room:
Diplomate suite has a bathroom and a half bath. I think other reviews cover the suite pretty well but here are my thoughts:
1) Bathroom is nicely appointed, however the hot water fills the tub very very very slowly... like 30 mins (it's a nice deep soaking tub though). L'Occitane products that were replenished frequently.
2) Very very comfortable large bed!
3) One of the diplomate suites seemed a bit larger (larger entryway,larger sitting room). One of the nicest Sheraton rooms I've been in...
4) no wifi in room was a negative. They had cable ethernet, but the lack of a wifi was big time as I was traveling with just my ipad. Free wifi in lobby though.

Club Lounge:
Great breakfast, great service. They had a table tucked away where we sat the first day; subsequent days they had reserved it for us. Breakfast consisted of congee, eggs cooked to order, cold cuts (great smoked salmon) and various other dishes. Nice selection; definitely not a continental breakfast. Nice coffee machine. Afternoon tea had a couple of pastries, but we typically did not partake. I hit up the lounge one night for evening hors d'oeuvres. There was quite a large selection available definitely enough to make a dinner out of it. Noodle bar. Good selection of self service booze including sparkling wine. Definitely the nicest Sheraton club lounge I've seen.

Amenities:
Outdoor pool, closed. Sauna: which was a new experience for me. Basically it's single sex bathing. It was nice, but I prefer a coed experience I think . Squash court.

Food and Beverage:
We had breakfast downstairs one day. 600 NT for the buffet. Large selection of foods, not as intimate a process as the club lounge. Of note, the extra person charge in the club lounge is 500 NT. We also had pizza from the restaurant downstairs. Not great by my high pizza standards but not terrible.

It's actually a little out of the way. Not Grand Hotel out of the way, but not quite where the action is. About a 10-15 minute walk to Chiang Kia Shiek Memorial (nice ponds for the kid to feed the fish). MRT stop right in front of the hotel (blue line). Taxis were plentiful and cheap, which we used a lot. It seemed we were 10-15 minutes to everywhere we wanted to be.

Service:
I saved this for last, because I really believe that this is where the hotel shined. After we arrived we realized that we had forgotten two pieces of luggage at the airport (oops!) 26 hours of travel will do that to you... The concierge made all the arrangements for the bags to be brought to the hotel the next day. We were told it would be about noon, and at 9 am the concierge called us and told us that he had talked to the luggage delivery company who had possession of the bags and to expect them around noon. We were charged 340 NT per bag, which I believe was the fee that the delivery company charged. It was quite nice that they took care of everything. I was address by name multiple time; not only in the club lounge but also downstairs. Pretty impressive for a hotel with 680 rooms. It was always easy to get milk for my kid, and never a charge!

All and all it was a great experience. Great service, two suites, and a great club lounge.

FDW