Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
I was here back in May.

Check in:
The concierge was kind of annoyingly over-zealous. I'm trying to check-in with my co-workers and the concierge comes over and starts talking about the history of the hotel and all the things that she can do to make our stay better. Great, but I really just want to check into my room, which is why I'm standing at the check-in counter and not the concierge counter.

Check in overall was thoroughly unimpressive. I had orchestrated everyone's stay at the hotel. Everyone was supposed to have a king bed and after speaking with some manager and a number of front desk people I'd been assured our rooms would be ready at noon when we arrived. They were not. And only 1 king room was available, which they gave to me after telling 5 of my associates that their rooms were not ready. Why I got it I don't know.

The room:
Was small but very nice in a quaint sort of way. There was a clock radio with a horribly bright screen that lit up half the room at night. I tried to find an off button either for the entire thing or the light and ended up just unplugging it.

Biz Center:
Outright sucked. I tried to fax something and the fax was broken. So I had to use this multipurpose copier/fax thing that for some reason cost twice as much as the broken fax. I had them adjust the charges at the front desk.

Food:
Had several meals at the hotel restaurant. The wine list was very mediocre. The lunch was quite good. I'd highly recommend the shrimp tempura BLT if you don't mind the 10,000 calories. Dinner was a mess; a lot of pretentious things thrown together that didn't really fit. But it wasn't terrible, either.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
To make a long story short, we were extremely disappointed. All I can say is never again.

We stayed there this weekend on the TZOO rate (see posts 77-85). The hotel itself is nice enough, but
  1. There was no suite upgrade. OK, the bait-and-switch promo did say "if available" (are they ever?).
  2. There was no Gold upgrade. Not great, but I'll accept it.
  3. They didn't even honor our King bed reservation. Not acceptable.
In addition, both the housekeeping and maintenance were substandard, especially so for a "luxury" brand. I'm working on a detailed letter to Corporate Customer Service (my first ever), and I'll let you know what happens.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I used my Free Weekends stays a few weeks ago and was very impressed:

- Booked same day as arrival (last min visit to SAN)
- Was upgraded to top floor corner suite; which included 2 bathrooms (one with whirpool tub), bedroom, sitting area and small dining area. Very tasteful decor, some hardwood and some carpeted floors, 42' HD flat screen in the living room and 32" flat screen in the bedroom. Nice art, and decent view.
- 4PM checkout gladly offered.
- Desk staff couldn't have been nicer.

TIP: for those on the top floor, only the two back elevators service that floor. I wish there was better signage indicating that.

If I had to quibble about anything it would be just 1 bottle of water and I was never offered a platinum amenity, but who can argue too much it was free!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There was no Gold upgrade.
In my experience, as Gold, you should expect nothing in terms of room upgrades at any Starwood property. At that level, you should book the room you want to stay in and anything you receive beyond it is a gift.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 1:36 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Me too! :)

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

- Was upgraded to top floor corner suite; which included 2 bathrooms (one with whirpool tub), bedroom, sitting area and small dining area. Very tasteful decor, some hardwood and some carpeted floors, 42' HD flat screen in the living room and 32" flat screen in the bedroom. Nice art, and decent view.

TIP: for those on the top floor, only the two back elevators service that floor. I wish there was better signage indicating that.

If I had to quibble about anything it would be just 1 bottle of water and I was never offered a platinum amenity, but who can argue too much it was free!
I had a one night stay last month using a FWN on a Saturday night. My experience aligns with itsaboutthejourney's I had an awesome stay.

I was upgraded to an "Event Planner Suite" (#201) which was a huge three room suite with two bathrooms. It had a very large King Bedroom with its own large bathroom, a living room, and third room which was set up for doing business with a conference table, living area, bathroom, and even it's own door with a waiting area outside! Kind of cool even though we did not need all that space.

The only kind of strange part was that it is in a very secluded corner of the hotel on the second floor where there are only large banquet rooms and meeting rooms. Very quiet, dark and kind of creepy late at night with all the empty banquet rooms. I went exploring a little bit walking around and did not see a soul; a lot of the rooms were just left open. Eerie, but kind of cool at the same time, you can really feel the age of this hotel. I almost expected so see a couple of twins standing in the hallway or an elevator full of blood lol

I saved on the obscene parking fees and found a space on the street less than a block away; overnight and all day Sunday is free (no meters).

Turndown service was nice, they left a bottle of water on the nightstand, and filled the ice bucket in the living room reception area. ^

I was offered 4pm checkout as well but ended up checking out about 1pm.

At checkout my balance was exactly $0.00

Oh, and I was given 500 Platinum Amenity Points at check-in! I would call SPG and ask, they will probably credit you for the points.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In my experience, as Gold, you should expect nothing in terms of room upgrades at any Starwood property.
Did I ever say I expected it? I just mentioned it.

Though FYI, it is officially advertised as something you should expect. I've been upgraded about 40-50% as a Gold, including suite upgrades. So while I don't expect it, I definitely note it.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
I have to be in San Diego in Feb for a conference at the convention center. I do not want to rent a car and have to pay for parking. If I stay at the US Grant, will I be able to walk to the convention center within 15 mins assuming a normal pace? Or is ithere public transportation that would easily me there quickly?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by drnp
I have to be in San Diego in Feb for a conference at the convention center. I do not want to rent a car and have to pay for parking. If I stay at the US Grant, will I be able to walk to the convention center within 15 mins assuming a normal pace? Or is ithere public transportation that would easily me there quickly?
You can walk to the convention center in 15-20 minutes depending on your pace. I personally take <15 minutes, but I walk quickly. I don't know of any bus route that goes to the convention center from the Horton Plaza area.

You can stroll through the Gaslamp District to and from the convention center. Many downtown restaurants are clustered in that area.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the quick reply Totoro!^
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Valid today only for one-night stays...

@USGrantHotel Happy 09-09-09 travelers! CELEBRATE US GRANT's 99th YEAR WITH $99 RATES! http://tinyurl.com/lr3xum

Not bad, IMHO.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

I think I had the same room on 9/6/09. It was the Foundation Suite room 1104. It took up about half the 11th floor on the street side. It had about as good view as you could get around all the buildings. I had emailed the property and asked about a room with a Jacuzzi tub and mentioned we were celebrating our 19th anniversary and we were upgraded in advance. The reservation showed the foundation suite right on it! And we were using the free night from the promo!

I have to say, this was one of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in, It had to be over 1000 square feet in size.

Jim

Jim
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:47 pm

Thanks for the info on the special rate! I was booked for 2 nights in December with cash and points for $180 + 9600 points. I rebooked using your link and am paying $20 more but I got my 9600 points back!!! Thanks again!!!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:36 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I guess the word is out ... I tried to book four nights (Nov. 11-15) but the $99 rate is not available ...

A recent article in the LA Times:

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal...%80%99s--5321/

Last edited by Kalboz; Sep 11, 2009 at 10:33 am
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
@Kalboz it was a one-day deal only!

@rvivian Congrats! I got 3 nights, non-consecutive of course!
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:04 am

Wow! I am sure glad I booked this when I did. I guess I am pretty lucky I was able to book 2 consecutive nights! Thanks again for the info boifromtroy!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.