Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
They not resort or convention hotel. So they supposedly guaranteed to give 4pm late checkout

On my stay there, few years ago before pandemic, they seems to be very reluctant to provide late check out.

Asked for a modest 2pm check out, they tried to make it difficult by only agreed on the last day.
Even then their housekeeping team and multiple people keep ringing/knocking my room at around 12.00 asking when I plan to check out and "remind" me that there will be extra charge for staying past check out time.

Really put a sour note to an otherwise good stay.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I had no issue with 4 PM late checkout in a suite upgrade on my stay last October.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Stayed here again this past weekend (as did several other FTers) -- SNAs cleared a T-5d into a Landmark Suite. Late checkout was proactively offered, I took 4pm, and there were no issues with it on day of departure (keys continued to work, no knocks from housekeeping).

Odd hodgepodge of toiletries -- at check-in the bar soaps and body wash were Le Chemin/Byredo, but the shampoo and conditioner were Pharmacopia (and not the Hyatt version). The next day, housekeeping then provided additional bottles of all the liquid products, with the same shampoo and conditioner, but the new body wash was Gilchrist & Soames Zero% gel.

The hotel history tour is back (don't remember it from stays in March 2020 or 2021 although maybe just didn't notice), offered at 11am Saturdays and 10:30am Sundays.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:47 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has anyone had a late checkout here recently?

I just received a pre-arrival email from their GM and it didn't list late checkout as an Ambassador level benefit.
How was your stay? and congrats on the 100,000 posts....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Titanium
At the Grant right now. Probably my 8th or 9th time here over the years. Always had a pleasant experience and always got the 4pm checkout as Plat or Titanium, depending on the year. One of the few places where my SNA’s have a good chance of clearing, outside of NYE. They seemed to have changed the breakfast benefit since the last time I stayed here. It’s now a $42 statement credit. So, if you don’t use it, they’ll deduct it from your total bill. It also seems to clear up the confusion at the Grant Grill of not receiving a bill if under $42 and receiving a bill of over. But seems like this could also be a slight perceived loss in benefit from before, as the gratuities were included when you didn’t receive the bill. Or maybe assumed to be included… but either way, always a great experience. For those asking about parking. I rarely pay for the $57+ per night for valet at the hotel. Sundays are always free parking near the hotel at the meters, which is usually one of two nights I’m here. For the other night, I usually use a parking app like ParkWhiz or similar. Currently parked 4 blocks away for $10 for 24 hours. 5 min walk to the Grant.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 1:08 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Mighty_Bluff
At the Grant right now. Probably my 8th or 9th time here over the years. Always had a pleasant experience and always got the 4pm checkout as Plat or Titanium, depending on the year. One of the few places where my SNA’s have a good chance of clearing, outside of NYE. They seemed to have changed the breakfast benefit since the last time I stayed here. It’s now a $42 statement credit. So, if you don’t use it, they’ll deduct it from your total bill. It also seems to clear up the confusion at the Grant Grill of not receiving a bill if under $42 and receiving a bill of over. But seems like this could also be a slight perceived loss in benefit from before, as the gratuities were included when you didn’t receive the bill. Or maybe assumed to be included… but either way, always a great experience. For those asking about parking. I rarely pay for the $57+ per night for valet at the hotel. Sundays are always free parking near the hotel at the meters, which is usually one of two nights I’m here. For the other night, I usually use a parking app like ParkWhiz or similar. Currently parked 4 blocks away for $10 for 24 hours. 5 min walk to the Grant.
ha nice I’m here also! Same experience!!
Mighty_Bluff likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: United 1K
Looking to book on a Sunday night... unfortunately looks like the restaurant is closed Sunday and Monday, making the $100 FHR credit useless.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dangerhsun
Looking to book on a Sunday night... unfortunately looks like the restaurant is closed Sunday and Monday, making the $100 FHR credit useless.
Sounds like time to order a decent bottle of champagne with breakfast...
Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dangerhsun
It was open for breakfast this past Sunday. We checked out so I didn't see if it was open for lunch or dinner, but it would seem very strange for it to be completely closed. I'm assuming the bar would be open anyway?

Breakfast there was excellent, for what it's worth. I find 90% of Marriott breakfasts to just be....okay, good enough but not memorable...but this one was quite good.

As for the stay overall, it was a 1-night award stay using an SNA for a Chafee Junior Suite. No issues with the 4pm checkout. The junior suite was nice - worthy of the SNA if you want a good sized separate sitting area. (In other words, it meets the true spirit of a junior suite and isn't just a barely-bigger room.)

Overall, good hotel - I'd go back if I have a high-point cert to use in the future. Haven't stayed enough in the area to comment on whether it's a good value vs. other lower-category points options.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
It was open for breakfast this past Sunday. We checked out so I didn't see if it was open for lunch or dinner, but it would seem very strange for it to be completely closed. I'm assuming the bar would be open anyway?

Breakfast there was excellent, for what it's worth. I find 90% of Marriott breakfasts to just be....okay, good enough but not memorable...but this one was quite good.

As for the stay overall, it was a 1-night award stay using an SNA for a Chafee Junior Suite. No issues with the 4pm checkout. The junior suite was nice - worthy of the SNA if you want a good sized separate sitting area. (In other words, it meets the true spirit of a junior suite and isn't just a barely-bigger room.)

Overall, good hotel - I'd go back if I have a high-point cert to use in the future. Haven't stayed enough in the area to comment on whether it's a good value vs. other lower-category points options.

In the area it's definitely the best Marriott option and I say that even after having a super-sized cockroach join us for breforast.

The deluxe rooms are suite-sized at most hotels. Beds fantastic, bathrooms spacious. Breakfast tasty and our waiter was very good. Drinks at night were just ok bit the setting is pleasant.

Hotel offered nothing but apologies for the cockroach, which they took away in a cloth napkin (I hope they tossed it?). Checkout took a frustratingly long time. Nearly 20 minutes with the front desk.

Regarding nearby hotels, Hotel Republic is ok with good breakfast. They are really cheap on elite benefits though and our AC did not work. They proactively comped us a few bucks but I'd have preferred they fixed the AC or offered another room over dollars.
​​​​​
Hotel indigo, IHG chain, nearby is also great for less $$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.