Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:09 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We also have stayed several times at the Grant—and never have had any issues with street noise or noise of any kind.
canadiantransplant likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:39 pm

My wife and I are staying here now (award stay) as platinum members. I emailed the hotel the night before we arrived about available upgrades and/or other available amenities. The concierge emailed back and said that he would have a bottle of wine sent up after we checked in. He asked if we wanted red or white (went with red) and a good time. He said that he would let the front desk know about our upgrade inquiry.

I checked the app the day of, and we weren't auto upgraded and the app wasn't showing any entry level suites. When we were checking in, I asked if any suites were available and the agent said he would check...He upgraded us to a Grant Suite on the 10th floor! It has a sitting room with a couch and desk and then a very large separate bedroom. The couch isn't the most comfortable, but the bed is great. Really nice shower as well.

The Grant Grill has a really nice breakfast and Platinums get a $21 credit ($42 for 2 adults) towards anything off the menu. For $21, you can get the Grant breakfast, which consists of 2 eggs, coffee, juice, toast, bacon or sausage and breakfast potatoes. It's a great deal and the food is really good.

Overall, we have been very happy with our stay so far. The staff has been very friendly and helpful without being overbearing or "stuffy." Add in the breakfast, wine and a great room upgrade and we would definitely stay here again!

​​
controller1 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've been reduced to lowly Spg gold these days, but have an upcoming stay here with Mrs. Lee.

What can I expect at a Gold other than the room I booked? From a few posts back it sounds like there may be drink chits in my future?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:07 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gooselee
I've been reduced to lowly Spg gold these days, but have an upcoming stay here with Mrs. Lee.

What can I expect at a Gold other than the room I booked? From a few posts back it sounds like there may be drink chits in my future?
As longtime Platinums we have been happy guests at the Grant many times over the years and while we’ve received upgrades to the Presidential Suite and bottles of champagne I don’t recall ever getting a drink chit.

My younger son and his wife visited as Golds and were very pleased with their experience.
kennycrudup and gooselee like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
We’ve stayed twice, once as Gold and once as Platinum, and the upgraded room was similar both times. Nice and pretty spacious, but no suite either time. I’m ok with that, since the lobby is a nice place to relax, and breakfast there is excellent. Best of luck with your upgrade!
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks all! Checked in last night as a Gold. Upgraded from whatever base room (booked on *points) to a "Deluxe". Room is perfectly fine and what I'd expect from LC, but at the end of the day a pretty standard hotel room. Took me forever to figure out how to turn off the light inside the nightstand!

Room faces 4th Ave near an intersection. We can sort of hear busses and stuff but no issues with noise that are different from any other city hotel I've been in.

I requested high floor in the reservation notes online and the FD acknowledged and fulfilled that request without me promoting her. She also acknowledged that I'd asked for a suite upgrade but that they weren't able to do that (many suites available for booking as of yesterday, but of course technically not a Gold benefit so no worries).

Gold amenity at check in is 250 points or voucher for drink (up to $15) at Grant Grill. I asked if we could get two drinks since I have Mrs. Lee with me, but FD said one per room only. Seems a bit stingy but not a big deal. Lobby is gorgeous!

FWIW our friends are here on a Virtuoso booking and I believe they received the same category upgrade, but of course they also have breakfast and property credit.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:46 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thanks all! Checked in last night as a Gold. Upgraded from whatever base room (booked on *points) to a "Deluxe". Room is perfectly fine and what I'd expect from LC, but at the end of the day a pretty standard hotel room. Took me forever to figure out how to turn off the light inside the nightstand!

Room faces 4th Ave near an intersection. We can sort of hear busses and stuff but no issues with noise that are different from any other city hotel I've been in.

I requested high floor in the reservation notes online and the FD acknowledged and fulfilled that request without me promoting her. She also acknowledged that I'd asked for a suite upgrade but that they weren't able to do that (many suites available for booking as of yesterday, but of course technically not a Gold benefit so no worries).

Gold amenity at check in is 250 points or voucher for drink (up to $15) at Grant Grill. I asked if we could get two drinks since I have Mrs. Lee with me, but FD said one per room only. Seems a bit stingy but not a big deal. Lobby is gorgeous!

FWIW our friends are here on a Virtuoso booking and I believe they received the same category upgrade, but of course they also have breakfast and property credit.

I think you will enjoy the Grant- it's a lovely property and the staff is wonderful.

As a local I am partial to our beautiful city- hope you enjoy your stay here!
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To wrap up - we had a very nice weekend stay at the Grant.

The Grant Grill was amazing for breakfast, though the portions were enormous! Didn't end up taking dinner there as we only had three nights and tended to be out and about in the evenings. Lounge was also very nice and we found ourselves there quite a bit in between outings, before dinner, etc.

Only real problem we had was with wifi. The registration page failed to appear on our phones until we switched to "Desktop Mode" in Chrome. And then would only register for two days. On the third, I had to disconnect, remove the network, and wait ~30 mins before it would take me back to the registration page (prior to that, would just load the portal but say my device had expired or something). SPG Passpoint appeared to be available but did not work for me even after reinstalling my certificate. Similar problems on three different phones of different models, etc.

FWIW, I also noticed that the Luxury Collection website you are directed to after logging in to wifi now has a marriott.com URL. No idea if that has anything to do with it, but I've not noticed the URL switch before now and have not had these types of wifi issues in SPG hotels prior to this stay. Plus I don't mind blaming Marriott for trivial things.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:23 pm

Has anyone tried booking here through Chase's Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection? I'm debating whether to do that or book direct. The Chase rate is slightly higher but includes a $100 Food and Beverage Credit.

Main question is I'm not sure whether they'll recognize my Platinum Premiere status/earn points/night credit if I go through Chase...
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PrancingPonyGoldMember
Has anyone tried booking here through Chase's Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection? I'm debating whether to do that or book direct. The Chase rate is slightly higher but includes a $100 Food and Beverage Credit.

Main question is I'm not sure whether they'll recognize my Platinum Premiere status/earn points/night credit if I go through Chase...
Not exactly the same, but I've had my status properly recognized when I booked here via Virtuoso. Didn't really get me much other than the proper greeting at check in and some drink chits, but recognized nonetheless. Points posted without issue...this was via my SPG account at the time.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not exactly the same, but I've had my status properly recognized when I booked here via Virtuoso. Didn't really get me much other than the proper greeting at check in and some drink chits, but recognized nonetheless. Points posted without issue...this was via my SPG account at the time.
Virtuoso bookings are always eligible.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:21 pm

As a follow up - it did work, I had to provide my Marriott number at check in and also show the booking to confirm the Chase LHRC benefits, but I did end up getting full Marriott and Chase benefits and points.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:01 am

Has anyone got an e-mail address for this property? I need to ask a question about the suites at the US Grant.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat
can the platinum breakfast credit be taken through room service?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:57 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by runningformqm
can the platinum breakfast credit be taken through room service?

Unfortunately no. Only in Grant’s Grill.

bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.