Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Plat
CONGRATULATIONS - U.S. Grant Hotel celebrates a century

Congratulations to the U.S. Grant Hotel which celebrated it's 100 year anniversary today!

I was lucky enough to be staying in the hotel and was inviting to the 100 year party! It was an amazing event. The management at this hotel continues to surprise me with their amazing attention to detail and service!
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:04 pm

Programs: spg starwood -platinum, Hyatt Diamond
It all starts at the Front Desk and Harry is the rock star of front desk managers in this business!!

^^
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cherribabe
Any tips on how you managed to get pre-upgraded?

I got an upgrade offer in my reservation confirmation, but providing me with prices for my upgrade options.

These are my options:
Deluxe Room: $30 per night
Grand Deluxe Room: $60 per night
Legacy Suite: $75 per night
Landmark Suite: $150 per night
Signature Suite: $300 per night
I got the same options as well (though the prices were slightly different). Still was pre-upgraded to a suite (Landmark in this case) at least a day or two before check-in. Not sure exactly when I was pre-upgraded but it was there when I checked the reservation a day or two before check-in.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the US Grant last week through a "Fine Hotels & Resorts" booking, and had quite a nice stay. At $189 including a $100 food and beverage credit, breakfast credit, and upgrade, it was a steal. We did have a "visitor" in our room, though other than that the stay was excellent. And the employees at this hotel are truly top notch. I wrote a full review with pictures, which can be found here.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:14 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Aeroplan, RBC Avion
I stayed here this past weekend on an award stay. As a Plat I was upgraded to one of the Planner suites. To my surprise, the room was bigger than my first apartment. I was trying to find the bathroom by guessing which door it could be. The first door lead into a meeting room complete with board table and 8 chairs. The second led to a walk in closet that would be the envy of any home. Finally I found the bathroom behind door #3 which was very large and well decorated.

Everything went very smooth, from the greetings by the valet staff then to checkin process. The only thing I noticed is I did not receive any note or fruit plate as others had reported, but I let it be. I did enjoy that no matter how many water bottles I drank during the day, 3 new ones appeared everytime I returned to my room :-).

The only negative that comes to mind is some of the furniture in the room main room while very attractive, was apolstered with cloth that had become very worn. Did not make it very inviting to sit in the chairs.

I did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the dining.

Overall I did enjoy my stay at this hotel, and would put it at the top of my list in San Diego.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: SPG PLAT
stay update

Checked in Dec 30th 11pm. First impression was nice, my kinda place.
Jessica at the front desk was pleasant and thanked me for Plat Status.
However, they would not upgrade due to the heavy NYE bookings the following day. I just wanted a bed and was not too interested in begging for an upgrade.
Jessica however insisted on trying to secure me a suite but to no avail.
My room was well appointed albeit on the small side. Upon entering my room,
turndown service had been completed. Chocolates on my pillow, cold water on the nightstand and some jazz playing on the stereo. What more could you ask for? I ordered some room service which came quick. Food was decent. Wake up call was spot on, Gym was fine for my needs. I needed to pick up some items and found the Horton Plaza mall across the street to be great. Checked out around 3pm. No problems. I would stay again in the future. However, staying more than one night would absolutely require a larger room.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:47 am

Programs: Bonvoyed LT Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Had a one night stay here on Jan 31. Though suite availability for all levels of their suites was shown to be available online, the best we could get was the deluxe room directly overlooking Broadway. I didn't raise a fuss about it since there were three major conventions in town and the wife absolutely loved the room and wants to return soon.

Mostly great service, though there some minor hiccups, with the most pronounced being walking all the way down the corridor with two pieces of luggage (my wife was at a meeting) to the farthest possible room from elevator, only to find both keys do not work. Ordinarily, no worries, it happens - but the soft carpet does not lend itself to easily wheeling of luggage - and the attitude of the front desk clerk could be described, at best, as indifferent. It was something that puts one off a little bit, but not enough to deter another visit.

One thing I did notice was how incredibly dirty and dusty the window sill areas were. I understand the age of the building, but having grown up, then renovating a farmhouse originally built in 1906, I think those areas can be kept much cleaner than they were.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:09 am

Programs: spg starwood -platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Amazing Stay At The U.S. Grant - Thank You Julie Larkin !!

I took my daughter to the hotel this past weekend for her 21st birthday (along with the family). We received a great courtesy upgrade for our continued loyalty to this hotel (thank you so much Julie Larkin!!) We had dinner in the Grant Grill and had a great time there. The scallops were sensational by the way. In the evening at the Grant Grill, a 3 pc. jazz band run by Archie (the piano player) provides entertainment on Saturday nights and they were just amazing. I have seen Archie for years up at Mastros in Costa Mesa, CA playing solo in their piano bar, but the Grant Grill is his new home for Saturday nights (with his band) - check it out! My wife was very impressed with the atmosphere in the lounge, loved seeing Archie and his band and wants to go back real soon. The hotel is as classy as they come. I am not sure I have ever encountered a category 4 at SPG anywhere in the world that is nicer than this hotel. I have no clue why the hotel just changed from category 5 to 4, but you can count on me planning a trip or two each year using points or cash or points at this hotel. Parking was $32per night, but make sure to check out the "offers" on SPG.com as I found a great priced package that included parking for my weekend stay. Two thumbs up to this great hotel once again for making our stay as memorable as you did!! ^^
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, Platinum SPG, Platinum Hyatt, Silver Marriott, Avis First
Thumbs down Terrible stay ... diminishing service and quality, time to move on

I've stayed at the US Grant a few times. After this past time, I don't think I'll be returning. I believe you can find better service and quality elsewhere in San Diego...

First, checking in: Assisted by Gus at the front desk, who gave me keys to ALREADY OCCUPIED room. Nearly walked in on an old women... luckily I was fumbling with the keys and talking with my girlfriend outside of her door when she opened it...much to our surprise. And much to her surprise when she found that we were given keys to room. Probably the worst mistake a hotel can make.

Went back down to Gus. Told him that he just made a huge blunder, and he could make the situation right by sending up a bottle of wine. He promised to. Gave us keys to our new room (which he said was a Legacy Suite).

Back up to our (new) room. Not a suite, but not a big deal. Called down to ask if he had given us the wrong room again since this wasn't a suite. He said that was the only upgraded room available. Not wanted to argue (and having just gotten off a 6 hr flight from BOS, and it was approaching midnight), I gave up and got in the shower.

While I was in the shower, Gus called and my girlfriend answered. He had a new room for us and would be sending someone to help us move. Ok... time to repack and redress to move...

Finally in the (new, new) room well after midnight. Exhausted. Bottle of wine never showed.

We stayed 2 nights, didn't have any difficulty the rest of the time. But as we checked out, I decided to just let the manager know of our troubles and give her a point of feedback. Spoke with Jacqueline, asst manager I believe, and told her the same story. She was apologetic and said that Gus (front desk) was new and seemed to have good intentions with the wine, but didn't follow through. She promised to get back in touch with me just to follow up.

She never did.

Clearly, the hotel has a problem with follow-through. If the asst manager, who met me, knew my history with SPG and her hotel, couldn't follow up with a customer, I don't want to patron the place again.

if you're looking for a hotel in SD, try the SD Westin or the W SD.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ederemer
Went back down to Gus. Told him that he just made a huge blunder, and he could make the situation right by sending up a bottle of wine. He promised to. Gave us keys to our new room (which he said was a Legacy Suite).
It was at this point that I lost interest and thought

You don't tell someone that they made a "huge blunder" and tell them they can make it right by sending up wine.

No wonder you have been ignored
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, Platinum SPG, Platinum Hyatt, Silver Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by AndDee
It was at this point that I lost interest and thought

You don't tell someone that they made a "huge blunder" and tell them they can make it right by sending up wine.

No wonder you have been ignored
After a hotel makes a mistake, they need to make restitution. My request of a bottle of wine was a simple gesture that would have turned me from a very dissatisfied guest to an appeased guest. And it would've been an immediate recognition of their error and attempt to make it right.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
After a hotel (or any other service business) makes a mistake, they need to fix the mistake. As I tell my employees, the next time I have a perfect day, I'll fuss at them for their mistakes. Restitution may or not be appropriate, depending on the circumstances. I'm not sure these circumstances were that egregious.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I actually thought the OP had requested a bottle of wine be sent to the woman already occupying the original room and I thought that he was showing some concern for disturbing her. Now I see he wanted the bottle of wine himself.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:56 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Count me in the group that fails to see where the hotel owed you anything more than an apology, and a new unoccupied room (perhaps an additional upgrade as a symbol of goodwill). If anything, the bottle of wine should have been sent to the guest already checked into the room.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Count me in the group that fails to see where the hotel owed you anything more than an apology, and a new unoccupied room (perhaps an additional upgrade as a symbol of goodwill). If anything, the bottle of wine should have been sent to the guest already checked into the room.
No you are right, but the litigious nature of society now demands compensation for everything, even an honest mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.