Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
Delete

Last edited by Hvanv0405; Jul 6, 2009 at 11:08 pm
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
$169 -- Luxurious San Diego Hotel w/Upgrade (Through September)

If anyone is interested I just found this on Travelzoo:

$169 -- Luxurious San Diego Hotel w/Upgrade (updated 6/15)

San Diego, CA

Travel dates: Through September

By Barrie Zigman
Travelzoo Staff
A suite at the luxurious US Grant Hotel in San Diego would normally cost more than $400 per night. But now, the hotel -- named one of The World's Very Best Hotels by Forbes Traveler -- has rooms for $169 per night, including weekends. This deal is available for travel through September and includes a FREE upgrade to a spacious Legacy Suite, complete with a separate sitting room.

Blackout Dates: July 3-5, 22-26, 29, 30; Aug. 22-26

For more information and to book directly with the US Grant, click here. Or call the hotel at 866-716-8136 and mention rate code TZOOLTO. Book by June 26. Upgrade will be granted at check-in.

About the Hotel: Host to 13 presidents, the US Grant was ranked as one of the Top 128 Hotels in the World by Conde Nast Traveler and won "Best Luxury Guestroom Design" at HotelWorld's International Design Competition. The hotel is in San Diego's the Business District, minutes from the Gaslamp Quarter.

Last edited by Hvanv0405; Jun 16, 2009 at 2:02 pm
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Hvanv0405
For more information and to book directly with the US Grant, click here.
Does this mean it would qualify for stay credit?

And could you provide the link? I can't find it on Travelzoo.
Note: Found it. http://hotels.travelzoo.com/california-hotels/601218

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jun 16, 2009 at 1:50 pm
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Does this mean it would qualify for stay credit?
99% sure. . I was told Travelzoo bookings do.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:47 pm

yep the link takes you directly to the hotels "offer" page which says

Limited Time Exclusive – Reserve by June 24th for Rates from $169 plus room upgrade Take to San Diego for an exceptional interlude at The US GRANT, book from June 17-24, 2009. This exclusive offer includes:

* Exceptional rates from $169 per night
* Plus receive a room upgrade, based on availability
* Black out dates apply: July 3-5, 22-26, 29, 30; Aug. 22-26

This offer must be reserved by June 24, 2009 for travel completed by September 30, 2009. Due to the highly extraordinary nature of this offer, your pre-paid and non-refundable commitment is appreciated.

Reserve your stay online or by calling 866-716-8136. Please ask for rate plan TZOOLTO.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This was perfect timing. Just last night, I booked the two Westins in San Diego for a weekend in San Diego, and was about to switch to the US Grant based on reviews in this forum. And even if the suites aren't available, it still beats their $172/night best rate.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:08 pm

This was perfect timing. Just last night, I booked the two Westins in San Diego for a weekend in San Diego, and was about to switch to the US Grant based on reviews in this forum. And even if the suites aren't available, it still beats their $172/night best rate.
well the promo does say Free upgrade to Legacy Suite.

They've been very welcoming to me on my first (upcoming) stay. We're going July 3 - 5 (which is a blackout date, but i'm staying on an Award stay & C&P), we've already been upgraded to the signature suite and I can't wait to check-in!!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:15 pm

well the promo does say Free upgrade to Legacy Suite.
To quote the confirmation,
Including An Upgrade To A Legacy Suite Based On Availability
Old Jun 16, 2009, 3:35 pm

To quote the confirmation,
the US Grant site may say that but the Travelzoo site (offering the deal) doesn't state it. . .i'd print that page out should they try and turn you down.

"A suite at the luxurious US Grant Hotel in San Diego would normally cost more than $400 per night. But now, the hotel -- named one of The World's Very Best Hotels by Forbes Traveler -- has rooms for $169 per night, including weekends. This deal is available for travel through September and includes a FREE upgrade to a spacious Legacy Suite, complete with a separate sitting room. "

"Or call the hotel at 866-716-8136 and mention rate code TZOOLTO. Book by June 26. Upgrade will be granted at check-in."
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:29 pm

the US Grant site may say that but the Travelzoo site (offering the deal) doesn't state it.
Yes it does. Look at the asterisk next to the word Upgrade and follow down to the fine print.
Upgrade to a Deluxe Room (based on availability at check-in)
Besides, Travelzoo's marketing hype and hyperbole is not binding on Starwood anyway. They gather their information from other places and often get it wrong - only the source is accurate. For example, the claim that the suite normally goes for "more than $400", when it's actually $319.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 3:41 pm

Just back from our short but fun 4th of July weekend to San Diego.

We stayed July 3-5 at the US Grant. I'll add a short review later but for now wanted to share pix (also has the Sheraton Hotel & Marina). The US Grant pix start @ # 42

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8IZuWzdu1bsmq

Last edited by Hvanv0405; Jul 6, 2009 at 11:07 pm
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:03 pm

Sorry for the long review, but its a luxury hotel & I wanted to do it justice.

Ever since I began planning our short family vacation to San Diego I was set on staying at the US Grant. The reviews and photo's had me hooked and I just HAD to see it for myself. . .our two nights at the US Grant were just as I dreamed they would be (minus not having a view but that was fine for our short stay). Prior to our stay I had emailed the hotel and received phenomenal assistance from Demi, the Guest Loyalty Coordinator. She was a tremendous help and answered all my questions so I knew our stay would be great.

We previously spent one night at the Sheraton Marina and departed early for downtown. We arrived around 9am on 7/3 and did a pre-registration for our Signature Suite room (326) before spending a long & full day at Sea World. We were pleased the hotel would store our bags until our evening return. We then met Mark at the concierge desk. Mark was so pleasant and friendly and such a joy to ask for assistance. I had done quiet a bit of research on the trolley and bus systems and new we could take both to Sea World. However, when we had stored our bags I had also left all my research and schedules in them. Mark was quick to produce the schedules we needed along with detailed information for getting around. We head out to the "back" side of the hotel to await the trolley to Old Town. After a half hour of waiting someone had called and found the system had lost power and was backed up. . .back to the hotel we wend and Mark provided a bus schedule. The bus picked up in "front" of the US Grant after only a 5 min wait and off we went for our day at Sea World.

About 8pm we had caught the trolley back and with two very tired 6 yr olds, sore feet, & in need of a good nights rest we finally went to our beautiful room. Waiting for us was a wonderful welcoming gift of chocolate covered banana's and a bottle of wine. Again, I was living my dream. The wine was the perfect end to our long LONG day at Sea World. We showered our boys in the HUGE 10X10 ft shower, 6-headed shower and tucked them into a huge king bed. Exhausted ourselves my husband & I headed for our king bed after our short glass of wine.

We slept very soundly in very comfortable beds. . .after having stayed at the Westin Villas in Maui, we knew there were indeed hotels with heavenly beds and bedding. . .the US Grant did no fail us. The array of feather pillows and soft clean bedding was perfect. In the room we were also provided with robes, slippers, coffee/tea, bottled water, & turn-down service with chocolates.

The Signature Suite is made up of an entry way, two large King beds, 2 large screen TVs, a desk/office station ($11.95 per day internet charge), a huge bathroom with double sinks and living-room & dining-room. On the downside there is a fridge filled with mini-bar items but no room for your own items.

The next morning was the 4th of July and I had first planned on taking the family to the Le Cake Chateau (up the street about 3 blocks), we arrived only to find it closed and walked back to the Grant. The Horton Plaza across the street didn't have much open but we were able to make a breakfast out of Starbucks items (the kids seemed happy). We spent the day at the USS Midway, road the ferry to Coronado Island, recommended by the front desk, (had lunch at Spiro's Gyros) and road the ferry back. . .being the 4th of July everything was busy and they were running an extra ferry to accommodate the extra traffic (but they were still full and standing room only). Then back to the US Grant for a rest (too many people and too much walking around between this morning and Sea World the day before).

About 5pm we decided to catch the #7 bus to Balboa park only to find all the Museums were closed due to the 4th but also because of this the park was fairly quiet with little amount of people. We enjoyed the beautiful buildings and came upon the Moreton Bay Fig tree and took a few sets of stairs down to a quiet little forest area that seemed right out of a book. Our boys enjoyed playing with the squirrels running around. About 7pm we'd had enjoyed walking in the near empty park, and tried to catch the bus back to our hotel. . it never showed up. . we began walking and crossed the freeway stopping a McDonalds, then finally saw 2 or 3 buses go by (either they had been stuck in traffic or broken down for 30 min). Near McDonalds we found the trolley and happily boarded for the short ride to the US Grant. Again exhausted we were too tired to head out to watch the fireworks and instead enjoyed the Bose sound system with both large flat-screen TV showing the fireworks on local news channels (while listening to them outside our room). After the display our boys fell asleep.

I wasn't exactly hungry but wanted to order room service from the Grant Grill and we decided to get the cheese tray (for 1 @$18 - you can order for 1 or 2). We still had some red wine left over and I figured cheese would be tasty. Room service took awhile and the total bill came to $27 for 6 pieces of cheese. One might find this disappointing but it was more for the fun of it and to try something different. The presentation was lovely and along with the cheese were some gourmet bread & crackers, thinly sliced meats, mixed berries and the best honey we've ever tasty. Since it was an order for 1 I hadn't expected much but the extra $10 in charges were a bit excessive for room service and taxes. The experience was fun and the dish was brought in on a silver tray. Along with the wine we made a picnic out of it in front of the living-room tv. This was a great end to our last evening. You can see from my photos (in previous post, follow link and start at picture 42) we did not have much of a view but the lack of street noise more then made up for it. . .we didn't hear a thing our entire stay.

Though this hotel is recommended more for adults our two small boys LOVED it, loved the shower, loved the beds and watching cartoons in the room. And though we didn't use it we, found we could have gain access to the Westin's swimming pool if we had so wanted. We took a long relaxing morning and headed for the airport. I missed the opportunity to meet Demi in person but she along with the concierge, Mark, made our stay perfect. I look forward to returning in the future (maybe without the kids).
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I'll second the previous post about Demi and Mark. They were both wonderful and truly made us feel they were thrilled we were visiting and happy to do whatever they could to help.

We loved the hotel and loved San Diego (including getting to play at Torrey Pines!). A long trip across the country but we look forward to returning. The only downside is one I felt bad about communicating. We were grateful for a lovely suite upgrade and happy they made it available so early. But I would turn down room 810 - right next to the elevator and you could hear it all night long. Fortunately, we were always exhausted from the sun and the sightseeing but it was annoying. Again, I didn't complain so I don't know what they would have done. And this is one Platinum who did NOT get the welcome bananas and champagne!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by stevens397
I'll second the previous post about Demi and Mark. They were both wonderful and truly made us feel they were thrilled we were visiting and happy to do whatever they could to help.

We loved the hotel and loved San Diego (including getting to play at Torrey Pines!). A long trip across the country but we look forward to returning. The only downside is one I felt bad about communicating. We were grateful for a lovely suite upgrade and happy they made it available so early. But I would turn down room 810 - right next to the elevator and you could hear it all night long. Fortunately, we were always exhausted from the sun and the sightseeing but it was annoying. Again, I didn't complain so I don't know what they would have done. And this is one Platinum who did NOT get the welcome bananas and champagne!
sorry no welcome gift. . .i don't think it's the norm. . .not with everything else that usually comes with a charge. I couldn't believe even the business center charged by the minute and print. I had been emailing Demi back & forth for about a month to make sure my family would enjoy the short trip and nice hotel. She was such a huge help and I had also found out about the upgrade early so I sent her a thank you gift (flowers) as well. She knew how much I had worked to get the family a fun filled enjoyable trip and that we'd be at Sea World ALL day before checking-in. . .I'm sure things would have been much different if I had not stressed our excitement for visiting San Diego and the US Grant.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 7:42 pm

Had an interesting experience here last week. Was originally given room 901, an upgrade for this SPG gold member. Although the proximity to the hotel's ventilation system was not that close, the noise and vibration coming into the room were a significant impediment to my being able to sleep, despite having an exhausting day. The front desk sent up an engineer who attempted to dampen the noise, but to little effect. Ultimately, I was moved to a room on the 11th floor, 1108. The quiet was fantastic. I was pleased with their responsiveness to my situation, and lucky the hotel was not full. I found the atmosphere of this unique hotel to be "dignified", and a blast from a previous era.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.