Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
For now, the US Grant is my new favorite Starwood property in San Diego.

Pre-upgraded to Legacy Suite as a platinum, but none were available at checkin, so they moved me to the 3-room Event Planner Suite.

Letter from manager at check-in explaining that I would receive a 500-point platinum amenity (which I believe is a new policy).

An hour or so after check-in, a fruit plate and Panna/San Pellegrino water was delivered to the room (which I believe was the previous Platinum amenity).

Lower floor rooms can be loud if you are street-side, and the ventilation needs some help (the humidity in the room may be a culprit in my Blackberry keyboard meltdown)...

While the W San Diego seems to be cutting corners, the US Grant seems to be over-the-top in paying attention to guests' needs and desires!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
About to book a stay here but slightly confused by the room types and room rates!

Choosing between

Grand Deluxe - $224 per night - Has a Whirlpool tub AND on the top floor
Legacy Suite - $294 per night - Two TV's and Bathroom but no whirlpool and not on the top floor Only slightly bigger.
Landmark Suite - $360 per night - Whirlpool and bigger room so I can understand this room category.

I am confused about the difference between the Grand Deluxe and Legacy Suite. Why is the Grand Deluxe less $$ for a Whirlpool and top floor ? I have checked many dates and it's the same story

Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:41 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by AndDee
I am confused about the difference between the Grand Deluxe and Legacy Suite. Why is the Grand Deluxe less $$ for a Whirlpool and top floor ? I have checked many dates and it's the same story

While I personally have never been given less than a suite at this property, I do recall someone commenting that they were given one of these Grand Deluxe rooms and it was abysmally tiny. The Legacy Suites, while not huge, are a good bit more spacious from what I have gathered than the standard rooms or standard rooms with whirlpools.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:58 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Below are a few pictures from a Landmark Suite

Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Parking

Any advice on parking? I am scheduled for my first visit to the US GRANT and was wondering if they had valet parking?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by shyam99
Any advice on parking? I am scheduled for my first visit to the US GRANT and was wondering if they had valet parking?
They have valet parking available, however, if you don't mind a little walk, the Columbia Street garage is half the cost ($15 for noon to noon).
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Has anyone ever gotten a crib for an infant at the US Grant? The T&C of my reservation say "not available" so I am assuming not, but was just wondering if it was a typo by chance. Never had a problem getting one before at other Starwood properties.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA G
FYI, I stayed there as a nobody on a $209 Hotwire rate. The room was tiny, but everything in the room was quite nice. I'm hoping once I hit gold (via SPG AMEX...) that things will be nicer with upgrades.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I got a rate of $433 for a grand deluxe (corner) for 2 nights in June - 'better tomorrows - buy one night get the next at 50% off. I'm hoping for a platinum suite upgrade.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Just finished a 6 night stay, and to answer my question in the earlier post, a crib was provided by the property. I put it in the comments and they had already arranged it by the time we got to our room. They also provided a mini fridge so we could store milk.

Overall it was a very nice stay. Will post a full report later.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:48 am

Quick trip report

A quick trip report from my stay completed yesterday:

Check -in: Arrived on Monday at 3pm, room was not ready yet, but was told we were moved to a much nicer room to fulfill our requests of a quiet room, a crib, and a minifridge. The desk agent, Harry, was extremely courteous and apologized for the room not being ready. This was not a problem for us so we walked around for a bit and came back at 4pm and our room was ready. The agent did offer us a 20% off coupon to eat at the Grant Grill if we wanted to wait there and eat. We received #727, it is a corner room and has a nice size. The sign on the 7th floor said it was the SPG floor.

Room: Like I said, nicely sized. The furnishing look much like the pictures posted. The bathroom has a shower only though, so no tub it that is what you need. Bath amenities were G&S and were okay. Bed was comfortable, and the duvet was heavy and soft. The reports about the noise from the street are dead on. We could hear sirens and traffic at night, even on the 7th floor. It didnt bother us too much as we are sound sleepers and the noise was not constant. The AC works, but we had to put it on 66 to get the room to feel comfortably cool.

Restarurant/Room Service: Ate at the Grant Grill for dinner and the food is quite good, though a bit pricey. The service there was excellent. We ordered room service 3 times, the first two times the food was delivered 5-10 minutes outside the time range we requested it for. The third time it was right on time. The food was excellent, and in sizable portions.

Customer Service: The staff really make an effort to make you feel welcome. Besides the desk agent making a good first impression, we also found the consierge to be helpful with ideas for activities. Once, we realized the trash can had not been emptied for 2 days in our room and the trash was starting to pile up. We didnt think it was too big a deal and just called and asked for it to be emptied. Someone from housekeeping came within 5 minutes to apologize and remove the trash. Later on that night, we received a complimentary fruit plate and two bottles of spring water and another written apology from the head of housekeeping. It was a nice touch.

Location: Nice location. About $12 cab ride to airport. Balboa Park/Zoo is about $10 cab ride. You can walk through Gaslamp very easily or even walk to the harbor without much trouble. The Convention Center is about a 15-20 minute walk away. Horton shopping plaza is right across the street. Restaruants all around and the ones we tried (Yard House and a BBQ place that I cant remember the name for) were very good and well priced. There are some panhandlers on the streets surrounding the hotel, and they can get to be a little annoying after a while.

Overall, nice stay, and great customer service.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
Fantastic Hotel and Stay

Testing (have not posted images here before). Will add more pics and review soon.

Exterior of the US Grant lit up at night.

Last edited by masskrug; Mar 12, 2010 at 12:42 pm
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by masskrug
Testing (have not posted images here before). Will add more pics and review soon.

Exterior of the US Grant lit up at night.
Nice. I love pictures.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:06 pm

Trip Report

The US Grant - A Luxury Collection Hotel

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

326 Broadway San Diego, CA US 92101

The US Grant - A Luxury Collection Hotel (12 Photos)

OK, finally figured out how to post images properly, so here goes a report.

Check In

As others have noted, this is a great property to stay at in SD. The hotel is superb at making a stay gracious and welcoming, right from pre-arrival communications from Demi (their guest loyalty coordinator), to the check-in process (smooth, courteous, quick, Plat amenity and of course: upgraded!), throughout the entire stay and offered 4 pm checkout.

Room

I was very kindly upgraded as Plat to a lovely and spacious Signature Suite. It has two Kings, a dining table, sitting area with sofa and chair, and a large bathroom with rainshower. Demi and Douglas Korn (GM) were also generous in their welcome with a sparkling water and fruit/caramel platter on arrival (no pics, was devoured very quickly).

The artwork is a very, very nice touch to the room. I very much liked the inked/canvas headboards.

The hotel's location cannot be beat if staying downtown. It is right across the street from Horton Plaza, at the top of the Gaslamp, and a short walk to the waterfront and Little Italy. There is no pool, but the Westin Gaslamp is across the street connected to Horton Plaza, and they have a heated outdoor pool that I used several times. The MTS trolley is also a stroll across the street outside of the valet entrance. There is no house car, but a town car is available to hire. I used it to get to the airport for $15 (a cab is $11).

Overall

I wish I had taken more pics of the lobby and the ballroom levels. The common areas are grand and also filled with lovely artwork. Next trip! Also, on the last evening, Demi and the GM provided milk and cookies to make the bittersweet ending more sweet than bitter (again, devoured before camera could make it out).

It was my first time in San Diego. What a beautiful and lovely city. I cannot wait to return, likely this summer when it is hotter. I guess El Nino played havoc on the weather as people kept saying how abnormal the weather was. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else but the US Grant.

Would you like to write a review on the The US Grant - A Luxury Collection Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by masskrug; Mar 12, 2010 at 1:20 pm
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Nice. I love pictures.
At your service, monsieur...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.