Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by masskrug
At your service, monsieur...
Another minion to do my bidding....yes! ^

One step closer to total world domination.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Another minion to do my bidding....yes! ^

One step closer to total world domination.
Parlez en francais, s'il vous plait. No villan is complete without a proper French monologue fully disclosing his evil plans.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
100 year anniversary Special--add a night for $100

I just recieved this from a confirmation email using FFWN's promotion.

"In celebration of our 100 year anniversary, extend your stay and enjoy an exclusive rate of $100. Also, upgrade your experience starting at $30."

The extension in particualr was adding a Sunday Night onto a Satursday rservation. I have seen the upgrades and the limited $100 a night promotion a few months back but not this one in particular.

sdcarver
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Pres Club, Starwood Gold, NEXUS
I stayed here Aug 8-11 and while the hotel was 'nice' there really wasn't anything special about it. Not sure really what all the hype was about. The location was good and the room was nice, clean, stylish but the overall property was just so-so. Did I miss something?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:05 pm

We stayed there in June and I kind of know what you mean, but after walking over to the Westin Horton Plaza, I was pretty glad we were staying at the Grant. Food was pretty good there too.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by sdcarver
I just recieved this from a confirmation email using FFWN's promotion.

"In celebration of our 100 year anniversary, extend your stay and enjoy an exclusive rate of $100. Also, upgrade your experience starting at $30."

The extension in particualr was adding a Sunday Night onto a Satursday rservation. I have seen the upgrades and the limited $100 a night promotion a few months back but not this one in particular.

sdcarver
SDCarver.. is that promotion still going on? I am looking to head to SD next weekend, and they are one of the few hotels that allow pets. Searched on google, but didn't see anything other than flyertalk come up. Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by girlflyer
SDCarver.. is that promotion still going on? I am looking to head to SD next weekend, and they are one of the few hotels that allow pets. Searched on google, but didn't see anything other than flyertalk come up. Thanks!
The W San Diego also allows pets... Actually, it provides pet beds and pet turndown service:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=1433
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by loopies
I stayed here Aug 8-11 and while the hotel was 'nice' there really wasn't anything special about it. Not sure really what all the hype was about. The location was good and the room was nice, clean, stylish but the overall property was just so-so. Did I miss something?
What is it that you are looking for?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
sent you a pm
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
I just made a reservation today. Actually I made two, because they were reward nights and for some reason the customer service rep booked them as two separate stays, one for a Friday night and one for a Saturday night. When I got my email confirmation, it mentiond the promotion in my reservation for Saturday night only. I mentioned to the rep and she didn't know anything about it, said it must be unique to the hotel.

I wish I could do it, but don't think I can stay another night. Need to be in Vegas the next day for work.

I think if you make the reservation you'll automatically get the offer, as long as its for a Saturday night. Let me know if you need more details.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by boifromtroy
Pre-upgraded to Legacy Suite as a platinum, but none were available at checkin, so they moved me to the 3-room Event Planner Suite.
Any tips on how you managed to get pre-upgraded?

I got an upgrade offer in my reservation confirmation, but providing me with prices for my upgrade options.

These are my options:
Deluxe Room: $30 per night
Grand Deluxe Room: $60 per night
Legacy Suite: $75 per night
Landmark Suite: $150 per night
Signature Suite: $300 per night
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:19 am

Programs: spg starwood -platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Harry is the best front desk manager in the business!!

I am a huge fan of this hotel. I have stayed here many times. As you know, courteous, friendly staff is a key ingredient to a great hotel. HARRY is one of those ROCK STAR Front Desk managers who helps you with nearly any minor issues that may come up during your stay. I have generally received nice upgrades for my platinum status and I know that "gold", from time to time, also does very well at this hotel. For my daughter's 19th birthday last year, Harry sent her up a comp'ed breakfast in bed ... talk about a nice touch!! Nice location, great price for the luxury hotel this is and friendly staff. That is bascially what I love to see in a hotel!! I have probably been to at least 50 different Starwood properties and Harry ranks among the nicest guys I have ever run into!! ^
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by cherribabe
I just made a reservation today. Actually I made two, because they were reward nights and for some reason the customer service rep booked them as two separate stays, one for a Friday night and one for a Saturday night.
At the hotel, not impressed at all. It's not a bad hotel, but I'm not happy with the room we're in. We were "upgraded" to a legacy suite. It's the tiniest room I've ever stayed in, even compared to NYC hotel rooms. It doesn't match the descriptions on the website. Seating in "sitting area" for only 1 person, no TV in there, etc. Bedoom area is very cramped. The bathroom is so small that you can barely stand to use basin without door bumping into you when open. Teeny tiny shower/bath combo.

Going to Australia, New Zealand, Germany and UK in next few weeks and overall very disappointed to have used a free weekend reward on this hotel.

Was contacted by hotel prior to arrival about 4 times consistently trying to upsell me on something, and during my contact with them, I mentioned that we were here for special occasion. I see online that other suites (e.g. Signature, etc) are available, but I was told this was best room available, with best view. Barely a view, and it's looking at a Sam Goody store across the street.

Don't think I'd ever pay to stay here.

So busy during this trip and was rushing out to a dinner so didn't call down to say anything, but now that I'm back in the room, and bumping around into things trying to move around side table, desk, dresser, all cramped into corner of room, it's becoming more apparent how rediculous and small this "suite" is.

Plus side: Room is quiet and bed seems great and comfy and hoping for a good nigh's sleep.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 11, 2010 at 9:17 am Reason: fixed ubb coding
Old Sep 18, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
I agree with the previous post. Decent place, but not what I would have expected from a Luxury Collection hotel. Service was generally quite good. I got upgraded to a 2 room corner suite. View of the Sam Goody and a park that was in need of some beautification. Walls are a bit beat up, and the rooms could use a paint job. Flat screen tvs and a comfy bed, but all the other furniture seemed very worn. Great bathroom with a shower. Hotel is in a convenient location to Gas Lamp and Horton Plaza--but it is a bit shady right outside with the homeless and loitering neighborhood residents. Yard House is across the street and is a good choice if you don't want to go far. Far from the worst choice, but I don't think it's the best. Last time I was in SAN I was at the Westin Horton Plaza--I think probably the best SPG choice--and I'd go back there in a moment.

Last edited by tashworth; Sep 18, 2010 at 4:06 pm Reason: addition
Old Sep 18, 2010, 8:22 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by theguyfromsocal
I am a huge fan of this hotel. I have stayed here many times. As you know, courteous, friendly staff is a key ingredient to a great hotel. HARRY is one of those ROCK STAR Front Desk managers who helps you with nearly any minor issues that may come up during your stay. I have generally received nice upgrades for my platinum status and I know that "gold", from time to time, also does very well at this hotel. For my daughter's 19th birthday last year, Harry sent her up a comp'ed breakfast in bed ... talk about a nice touch!! Nice location, great price for the luxury hotel this is and friendly staff. That is bascially what I love to see in a hotel!! I have probably been to at least 50 different Starwood properties and Harry ranks among the nicest guys I have ever run into!! ^
Count me in as another big fan of this hotel. I think the service is as good or better than many upscale hotels we've stayed at. Perhaps it's because we are frequent guests (we always stay after our opera nights bc it's walking distance) The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable, and the Grant Grill is downstairs is a fun restaurant/bar.

Plus- they recognize and value SPG Plats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.