Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 12:38 pm

Just finished a stay over mother's day weekend. Booked the SPG Luxury Package rate.

No upgrades at check-in (I'm SPG 100).

Nice hotel. Plat breakfast amenity was $20 per person, up to $40 for two.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:27 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thaliajen

the sign at the Grant Grille that remains from the Jurassic Period stating that women weren't allowed beyond a certain time without men. The story of the women who protested this (as late as the 60s!) was fascinating.
Believe it or not, although the original protest was in 1969, the Grant kept the policy of not allowing women in the restaurant until after 3 pm (no power lunches) until 1971 when 2 local women (a soon to be member of congress and a current Superior Court judge) threatened legal action. I give the Grant a lot of credit for embracing their history instead of hiding it. The women who protested are now celebrated guests and, as you noted, they have a commemorative plaque prominently displayed.

Glad you had such a nice stay at the Grant. We love the hotel and use it for our StayCations when we have theater tickets downtown.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was here last night. Usually stay at Marriott Marquis (great harbor view balcony rooms and pretty generous with the suite upgrades), but figured I'd try something closer to the courthouse.

Staff were great. But color me super unimpressed with the hard product. They retained the single pane windows in the renovation, which means any room facing Broadway will have significant street noise. I was offered an upgrade from Deluxe to a Grand Deluxe, but it was on a low floor on the corner of Broadway and Third and way too noisy. They finally found me a prison cell of a room on the 11th floor facing north. It was quieter but very small. Aircon was feeble. Didn't much care for the furnishings either. The upholstered chair was exceptionally uncomfortable (and at turndown, the maids stacked the pillows in it because there was literally nowhere else in the room to put them). Here's the desk and torture chair:

This one shows how close the bed was to the door.

Bathroom was nice, except the shower / soaking tub combo is a mistake. If you have a soaking tub, you need a separate shower. Too hard to get in and out of this thing.

Breakfast was supposed to be $20 credit, but server (who was super cool) just comped everything (oatmeal, berries, and coffee, which would have exceeded the $20 comp).

It was worth a try but overall this property is not my cup of tea.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
I had the exact opposite experience here a couple of weeks ago. Was upgraded at check in to a Chaffee Suite on the 10th floor facing away from Broadway, which was the perfect size for what we needed during our three night stay. They even noticed my birthday was happening during the stay and gave us drink tickets (they were marked differently from the ones you get as Gold) and sent a lovely tray with beer and snacks to the room on my actual day.

The room was beautiful and the staff went above and beyond to ensure that we had everything we needed during our stay and even remembered our name from day to day which was a great example of superior customer service.

I'm looking forward to future trips to San Diego to stay here while visiting our goddaughter.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
If I book via FHR w/ breakfast for 2 + $100 F+B Credit already and am SPG PLT - what would be the bonus points or local amenity?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Any tips for where to park overnight near the hotel to avoid the $50pn valet?
​​​​
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Chase, United
Any comments on the grant vs the Westin for events hosted at the Westin? Which standard rooms better shot at quieter larger and nicer? Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by zoechow
Any comments on the grant vs the Westin for events hosted at the Westin? Which standard rooms better shot at quieter larger and nicer? Thanks!
If you mean the Westin Gaslamp I’d say its rooms are your average hotel rooms: basic, but decently sized and generally quiet. We only stayed there one time but it was nice. The US Grant is all about character and history: rooms can be smaller (but they’ve usually upgraded us to something larger, though rarely a suite) and not as quiet — creaky floorboards and such — but overall comfortable. The lobby is beautiful and the restaurant has a good breakfast. If you are driving, the steep parking fee may deter you, though. When we visit San Diego we just use Lyfts and it’s way cheaper than the US Grant’s parking fee on top of a rental.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee

The first time I stayed here I was SUPER impressed when I walked in and saw this. Over the top. That's because my surname starts with a "G", and for a moment thought using guest initials for pillows was a really nice touch. Then I remembered I was at the Grant.

Still think it would be a great idea.
damon88, Kacee, bhrubin and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zoechow
AWhich standard rooms better shot at quieter larger and nicer? Thanks!
For quieter, not the Grant. The single paned windows and noise from Gaslamp traffic do not combine well if quiet is important to you.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
For quieter, not the Grant. The single paned windows and noise from Gaslamp traffic do not combine well if quiet is important to you.
Oh yeah, and from the US Grant you’ll also hear the metro trains rumbling and the cross guard bells ringing through much of the evening/night. Eventually we tuned them out, but it can be annoying if you’re not used to urban background noise. The Westin was very quiet.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Personally I didnīt mention any problems with noises. My suite was at the front of the hotel.
canadiantransplant likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by offerendum
Personally I didnīt mention any problems with noises. My suite was at the front of the hotel.
My recent room faced the small urban square, which IIRC was at the front of the hotel. There was some cacaphony from a street "musician" working for change, as they say.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Originally Posted by offerendum
I second this. On our stay last summer we were upgraded to a Chaffee suite on the 11th floor and heard zero noise.

Two weeks ago we were in a corner room on the sixth floor facing Horton Plaza through one window and the Westgate through the other two and again had zero issues with noise.

This is hands down our favourite hotel in San Diego for location, staff, room and amenities.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:07 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We have stayed at the Grant numerous times over the years and Never had an issue with noise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.