Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would disagree. The US Grant is much better than the chain hotels in San Diego, including the line of big convention hotels lined up around convention center. It's fun, has a personality, and IME offers good service, although I can see that one's impression and experience here could depend a lot on your room type. I had some sort of suite with a large foyer, a tiny windowless sitting room, and a large king bedroom with large windows looking toward the fountain (in the bottom inside of the U of the building, with nice and interesting lighting at night). The bathroom was very small with only a shower, but good toiletries. Everything was fresh and very stylish. The restaurant treated me well even though I wanted just a glass of wine and a small snack as I had been served a late large luhch on my flight. I would gladly go back. IMO the only major drawback is the lack of a concierge lounge.
I had a similar room there. Quite enjoyed it.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Stayed here for a week and was upgraded from deluxe to landmark suite 810. Beautiful room. Only problem is the constant noise from the elevator more than a couple night waking up at 1am because of elevator noise. I was compensated because of a toilet leak and the elevator noise though.
Old May 20, 2013, 2:07 pm

Any idea what he difference is between the Grand Deluxe and Legacy Suites?

I just confirmed an upgrade from a GD room to Legacy Suite for a stay next weekend but am a bit concerned as it looks like less square footage. I assume the Legacy Suites are all upper floor with prime views of the park?

Any opinions between both room classes?
Old May 20, 2013, 2:08 pm

And subsequently, what are the key differences between the Legacy and Landmark Suites?

I'm going to ask if we can get bumped up another level, although we booked into a Grand Deluxe on a 3rd night free promo with a Virtuoso agent (normally not eligible for amenities/upgrades) and I'm an SPG member...

Last edited by OliverB; May 20, 2013 at 2:20 pm
Old May 24, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Noise, Noise & Noise

We just stayed for 1 night two days ago. Worst hotel stay ever. We were on the top (11th) floor on the back side facing north. It was an acoustical nightmare - people talking in "low" voices walking down the hallway were heard loud and clear within our room - and I won't even mention the woman "singing" at 2:30 in the morning somewhere down the hallway in her room - which we could hear with perfect clarity. All Grant doors need to be replaced, period. Also - we could clearly hear the trolley cars all evening and morning through the single pane windows......unbelievable.

The only saving grace was the Grant Grill which we frequent often for drinks and dinner. I just will not stay there overnight again.
Old May 25, 2013, 6:15 pm

US GRANT Response

Originally Posted by OliverB
And subsequently, what are the key differences between the Legacy and Landmark Suites?

-Thank you for the inquiry. The main difference is that the Legacy Suites do not have a door separating the living area from the bedding area, while all Landmark Suites do. All of our Legacy and Landmark Suites vary by size given our historic nature and no two are the same.-

I'm going to ask if we can get bumped up another level, although we booked into a Grand Deluxe on a 3rd night free promo with a Virtuoso agent (normally not eligible for amenities/upgrades) and I'm an SPG member...
Old May 25, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by OliverB
with a Virtuoso agent (normally not eligible for amenities/upgrades) and I'm an SPG member...
Those are eligible for SPG benefits, I certainly recieved all benefit when booked through Virtuoso.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
Smile Here now in Legacy Suite

I'm here now until Tuesday in a Legacy Suite (the junior suite version with the big shower).

Great room, great shower, great staff. Had a few drinks at the bar; turning in now.

First time here. Staff has been fantastic and very accommodating with regard to my one-year old daughter. Would be happy to stay again.

Got Legacy Suite upgrade through SNAs. Busy weekend so I didn't want to take any chances.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:03 pm

I know this is kind of a random note to add to this thread, but to those looking to book here it might be worth knowing:

The US Grant is the ONLY 5-star hotel in the Gaslamp area. If you use an opaque site such as Hotwire or Priceline and find a 5-star hotel in the Gaslamp area it will most definitely be The US Grant.

The Palomar and Andaz are listed as either 4 (priceline) or 4.5 (hotwire) depending on the site. I think the other SPG properties in the area (Both Westins and the W) are classified as 4-star

Of course, you will likely forfeit your SPG benefits, but on some occasions the price difference can be fairly substantial. Especially since the US Grant is fairly cheap for a 5-star, these sites tend to like the US Grant (this may have something to do with the current construction across the street, as well, which might be impacting bookings at the hotel).

Anyway, hope this helps other make the best choices when booking and helps people compare prices.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Just finished a stay here.

Pros:
- Nice place
- Got an upgrade
- The guy at the front desk gave me a $10 off coupon for the restaurant / bar

Cons:
- The hotel hosted a high school prom on Saturday night. I was here for the SD Half Marathon and thought it would be quieter here than the W, and wanted to get a good nights sleep before the race. Lots of kids running around, loud music (enough to rattle the windows) until around midnight.
- Room was never serviced the entire time I was here (typically was out for 7-8 hours each day). Called housekeeping, they apologized saying it was quite a busy time for them.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by omegadeal
Just finished a stay here.

Pros:
- Nice place
- Got an upgrade
- The guy at the front desk gave me a $10 off coupon for the restaurant / bar

Cons:
- The hotel hosted a high school prom on Saturday night. I was here for the SD Half Marathon and thought it would be quieter here than the W, and wanted to get a good nights sleep before the race. Lots of kids running around, loud music (enough to rattle the windows) until around midnight.
- Room was never serviced the entire time I was here (typically was out for 7-8 hours each day). Called housekeeping, they apologized saying it was quite a busy time for them.
Ironically, I think the W San Diego is generally more quiet than the US Grant is. The W is a couple blocks removed from "the action" and their "rooftop" (which is really only a couple floors up) is not very "happening." Kind of a bummer if you were in need of a good night sleep.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Some questions I'm hoping folks can help with:

1. How do they handle the plat breakfast benefit at this hotel?
2. Are there any suite rooms that have a pull out or two beds?
3. do standard rooms accommodate rollaways for the kiddo?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Checked in, no upgrade for Platinum (not even to higher room category) as they're fully booked......ironically they're still selling all but the lowest room category.....room located next to service lift, quite noisy
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
Stayed here a few weeks ago. It was very mediocre. I used an SNA to get into a landmark suite (two kings, big bath, etc.). It was OK. My second time in this suite and I was more impressed the first time round.
Like others have said, sound issues were the main cause of my complaint. It wasn't bad enough to wake me up but I could hear noises up until 1-2AM when I finally turned in. They used to give bottled water for the road but didn't this last time round. Service wasn't bad but nothing made it feel special. Rate was good though and I got an upgrade so I cant complain.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
First stay here this past weekend. Booked three rooms through Amex FHR. Got an upgrade for one room to a Legacy suite on the 10th floor, while the two other rooms remained at superior. While spacious, the Legacy suite is more like an oversized room than a suite. The blinds did not filter out the sunlight in the morning. My son complained, and asked me to shut off the lights. Couldn't find street parking around 7PM on the saturday night, so had to pay the $39.00 valet parking. The service was very nice and prompt. The front desk representative was very pleasant and explained the various Amex FHR benefits. Still can't believe why I have not taken advantage of it sooner. Maybe it was too good to be true, so never thought it was possible. But yes, it is a very good deal. Had dinner at the Grant Grill. Our waitress was very friendly, but did not see her that often. We ordered the 38 days prime ribeye; which was the toughest I have ever chewed. Service was spotty at times. The soup came, no spoon. Ordered the mushroom side with entree, did not come until the entree was finished. Water glass was not refilled. However, I still would come back. But, would not order the steak or the seabass though. Live Jazz music started at 8PM. Very nice. Had breakfast at Grant Grill as well. Did the ala carte instead of the "waffle buffet".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.