Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:01 am

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
Originally Posted by drjhwang
However, given that all the SD downtown hotels require 10K points for redemption, would you really take one of the other options over US Grant?
Absolutely not!!! For 10K points the US Grant is a fantastic deal. I'm sure this won't last long.

As for picking US Grant over the W, they are both very different properties. One traditional, the other very hip. Both have excellent service and comfortable rooms. I would think that there are more upgrade opportunities at the US Grant-but that's just a hunch.

As I said before the US Grant is an outstanding property. The hotel was magnificently rehab'd, it has a great location and they have an experienced staff who know how to take care of their guests.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
I stayed at the US Grant last week with my family, on points, and thought it was wonderful. We were upgraded to a "Signature Suite" with 2 king beds, a separate living area with sofa & dining table, 2 plasma tvs, and a huge bathroom with a shower that was about 6' x 6' with six shower heads. Service was excellent throughout the hotel - very friendly and genuine, especially the doorman Harry and the bell staff. Location is great, Gaslamp Quarter in easy walking distance and Horton Plaza mall across the street. I usually stay at the W in San Diego, but after this experience, would stick with the US Grant if pricing is comparable.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:07 pm

I'm not sure whether this is a reasonable place to ask this, but is the zoo within walking distance? I'm not the least bit familiar with San Diego, but it says 2 miles on the hotel website.

Any thoughts on the cab cost from the airport? I just called and was told no airport shuttle.

Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Originally Posted by alamedaguy
I'm not sure whether this is a reasonable place to ask this, but is the zoo within walking distance? I'm not the least bit familiar with San Diego, but it says 2 miles on the hotel website.

Any thoughts on the cab cost from the airport? I just called and was told no airport shuttle.

Thanks.
The Zoo isn't really within easy walking distance of the US Grant. It was about a 10 minute drive, but it's uphill and not really a straight shot there.

We had a rent car, but I can't imagine a cab from the airport is very expensive - also just about a 10 minute ride, if that.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
I've read that cabs between the airport and downtown are quite reasonable. Another option is to take Bus #992 straight from airport to downtown -- fare is only $2.25 -- and it stops right in front of US Grant. This is what I plan to do for my stay there in April.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:03 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Just realized that I never posted the shots I took during our stay last November.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourshot...7600007642311/

There was a review in today's LA Times (mostly positive) and it reminded me!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 2:43 pm

Returned from a weekend stay from the US Grant

+Service was excellent. Without exception, I was greeted by all staff members and more often than not was greeted by name.
+Was upgraded to a Jr. Suite, I think the hotel refers to it as the Legacy Suite.
+The hotel is new and it shows. I didn't think the bed was too firm as some posters thought.
+Water pressure and temp was fine. The rain showerhead could be adjusted to customize water pressure
+Valet parking though pricey was quick to retreive the car when I called down from the room

-Housekeeping was subpar. Half used Q-Tips and toiletries left behind from the previous guest
-Tiny bathrooms in my Jr. Suite. It's not a good sign when the bathroom rug is too large for the bathroom rides up on the base of the toilet.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:44 pm

I'm in the midst of my 3-night award stay at the US Grant. After 2 nights:

Staff is personable -- they all say hello -- although nobody greets me by name. However, only once have I ever been greeted by name anywhere, so I don't really expect it.

No upgrade received; none expected. I'm only Corporate Preferred level, which is completely meaningless in terms of any upgrade benefits.

I'm not overly impressed by the room. My room faces the back of the hotel, and noise has been bothersome even on the 6th floor. I stayed away from the Hampton Inn because of multiple reviews of noise from the trains, but the windows at US Grant do little to block out simple street noise.

Shower pressure is weak, and I don't see any way to adjust the rain showerhead. I'd expect a hotel like this to have an oversized tub -- even though I'd probably never use it.

Mattress, linens, and bath amenities are all very nice. I like the two bottles of water and jellybeans they replace for me each day. I thought 9:30 PM was a little late for turndown service last night.

The surrounding area is not great. There are quite a few indigent-looking folks hanging around the immediate area. However, I felt pretty comfortable walking around at night.
Old May 20, 2007, 11:55 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Just returned from our 2nd stay at the Grant.

This time we were upgraded to an even bigger suite than last time.

The service was excellent-- management sent cheese & crackers to our room and a nice welcoming card.

Since we were on the 10th floor we did not have any problems with street noise- but the other posts prompted us to carefully look at the windows. My husband and I are surprised that with all the care and effort that went into the renovation of this gorgeous hotel that they didn't put in double or even triple-paned windows. It wouldn't have cost much.

As far as the shower pressure-- it's not a problem with the hotel-- it's a California law -- since 1992 if you purchased and installed a new showerhead it's a 2.5 gpm [gallons-per-minute] model, since all showerheads sold in California have been low consumption models since then. The hotel has actually put in great Kohler rain heads-- but they don't put out the max per minute as they would in other states.

We think the Grant is a great hotel-- in an upcoming area steps to the opera and excellent restaurants.

here are some more photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourshot...7600234370879/
Old May 20, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Thanks, Damon88, for the positive review. I really liked the photos. I'm heading for a stay myself there in about 2 weeks and can't wait. We have lots of fun things in SAN planned, but I'm really excited to see the hotel on the inside. (The last time we were there, I had planned to stay at the US Grant, but the renovations dragged on W A Y longer than planned and it caused us to have to rebook into the W, which was great as well.

I'll post back here with my own review in a few weeks.
Old May 20, 2007, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by drjhwang
I've read that cabs between the airport and downtown are quite reasonable. Another option is to take Bus #992 straight from airport to downtown -- fare is only $2.25 -- and it stops right in front of US Grant. This is what I plan to do for my stay there in April.
~$20? I used to do it every week from SAN to the Westin Horton Plaza, the Grant is just another block down the street.
Old May 21, 2007, 8:46 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Thanks, Damon88, for the positive review. I really liked the photos. I'm heading for a stay myself there in about 2 weeks and can't wait. We have lots of fun things in SAN planned, but I'm really excited to see the hotel on the inside. (The last time we were there, I had planned to stay at the US Grant, but the renovations dragged on W A Y longer than planned and it caused us to have to rebook into the W, which was great as well.

I'll post back here with my own review in a few weeks.

I think you'll enjoy your stay- in addition to the beautiful rooms, the staff is really top notch.

When we visited in November-- the lobby was almost empty-- but this time the hotel was bustling (on a Wednesday night).

I'm looking forward to reading your review!
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:02 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Finally an answer to the question--
Why didn't the Grant install double-pane windows ?

There's a review this morning in the LA Times travel section of the new Keating hotel downtown (designed by the company that designed the Ferrari and Maserati and described by my friends as "the W on steroids")

In the review (which is not very favorable) the writer address the window issue:

"The Keating's owner's are restricted from altering the historic building's windows. These are 7 foot tall, single-pane, painfully inadequate buffers"

I'm certain now that building restrictions are the reason that the Grant couldn't put in double-panes.

Just quickly looked through this writer's other articles about San Diego hotels (she's written quite a few)

Her capsule review of the Grant gives it 4 stars:

Stats: 326 Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101; (866) 837-4270 or (619) 232-3121, www.luxurycollection.com/usgrant .

Rating: Four stars****

New and noteworthy: A $52-million renovation has returned it to its former glory.

The stay: Big-spender history buffs and urban adventurers can retreat into rooms rich in crystal, silk, comfort — and complimentary snacks.

The scene: Elegant lodging option lures sophisticates to downtown.

The service: Top-rate, although slightly rehearsed.

Deal maker: Smart, beautiful and historic renovation.

Deal breaker: Downtown neighborhood still changing; not great for children.

Rooms: $479 to $3,500 for a presidential suite.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Rating is based on the room, service and ambience and overall experience with price taken into account in relation to quality.

Five stars: Outstanding on every level

Four stars: Excellent

Three stars: Very good

Two stars: Good

One star: Satisfactory

No star: Poor

Last edited by damon88; Jun 10, 2007 at 9:15 am
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC-SE ; Starwood Platinum
US Grant San Diego was EXCELLENT !

I read a lot about the W San Diego but the US GRANT hotel was "something else" following its recent renovation. Fantastic location just short walk to 5th/6th Ave Bars/Restaurants & Nightlife.

REALLY WAS A SPECIAL 3 NIGHT REWARD STAY - WE WERE TREATED SO WELL - EVEN A SUITE UPGRADE ! WE ALSO HAD CHEESE PLATE DELIVERED GRATIS.

ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENT TO A PAID NIGHT AND EVEN THEN AS A PLAT SUCH UPGRADES ARE NOT GUARANTEED IN MY EXPERIENCE.

The staff very welcoming and professional, the room immaculate, the Grill was great for breakfasts. This sure is one of the jewels in the Starwood Crown, great hotel, great city.

a.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, LHW Access, Hertz PC
US Grant - great experience!

After not having much upgrade success after a few stays at the W in the past year or two, we used a point redemption to stay at the US Grant Friday and Saturday and we could not have been more pleased. We were upgraded to a 'Legacy Suite (which I would not actually define as a suite, as it did not have an additional room other than the bathroom - but it was very liberally-sized, especially considering the age of the building).'

Whereas we have found staff at other Luxury Collection properties to occasionally tend to offer up a little bit of pretentiousness (being younger and walking though the lobby in shorts and flip-flops from time to time), the staff here did not do so at all. Everyone was extremely pleasant!

With the exception of a helicopter lifting building materials onto the roof of the offices next-door at an ungodly a.m. hour on Saturday, everything was flawless.

As far as parking at any of the downtown properties goes, there are meters with 2-hour limits 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. excluding Sundays (48 min. / $1.00) all over the place if you are willing to try your luck circling around to hunt for an open one...^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.