Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2021, 2:46 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I for one certainly wish LTT would be opened up again even though I think it is quite a small probability this will happen. I understand what several people have pointed out upthread that without achieving 75 nights in a year the difference between LTP and LTT is miniscule. What I find irritating is that you don't even have have a chance to attain LTT anymore ... in the merger it was a mistake to create a LT tier and then close it ... it would have been better to map everybody into LTP and get on with it .... I suppose that would have annoyed MR LTP to be set equal to MR LTG so maybe the people at MAR thought that this was the least worst solution ....me for one think that keeping LTT possible would have been the least bad solution ( I agree that one is not ideal either)
Old May 20, 2021, 4:15 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by WasKnown
If a union pay card came out with Globalist or Titanium status, I would wager they would see more *proportional* sign-ups from expats vs. locals. WeChat Pay and Alipay are far too convenient and many places (ie many non-chain restaurants) don’t even have the capability to accept credit cards.

Regardless, agree complete with lsquare in that Chinese CCs are quite weak.

I would be more curious to see how credit cards play out in the UAE (where co-branded Marriott CCs are offered) and Thailand (where local versions of CCs like the Citi Prestige are all over the place).

I’m not convinced the better treatment in Asia is purely due to higher scarcity of elites (though it probably helps). In the Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park Bangkok, every person I saw check-in was platinum elite or higher. I just think labor is much more of a commodity in Asia so the hospitality teams have higher expectations to deliver satisfactory experiences.

My experience at top US hotels has been comparable to my experience at Asian hotels. It seems that the drop off comes at Premium/Upscale US hotels (Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, etc).
I'm not sure what qualifies as "overseas spend", but getting close to 2 miles per USD spent isn't bad.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by X-ON
in the merger it was a mistake to create a LT tier and then close it ... it would have been better to map everybody into LTP and get on with it .... I suppose that would have annoyed MR LTP to be set equal to MR LTG so maybe the people at MAR thought that this was the least worst solution ....me for one think that keeping LTT possible would have been the least bad solution ( I agree that one is not ideal either)
To be clear, they did not truly "create" a lifetime tier and then close it. MR had a lifetime 75 night tier for years before the merger. They simply changed that level's name to align with the new elite status level names and benefits.

MR LTPs (75 night benefits) would have been justifiably furious if they were suddenly relegated to a lifetime 50 night level of benefits. That's the only reason LTT exists today. And BTW, I agree that the least bad answer would have been to continue to allow people to earn LTT going forward.
SPN Lifer, X-ON, bosman and 2 others like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I agree that the least bad answer would have been to continue to allow people to earn LTT going forward.
The decision not to do so, after so many Marriott Rewards members had dedicated years of their lives to attaining this lifetime 75-night status, was the original and prime inspiration for their unofficial new slogan:

You've been Bonv°yed! 😮
​​​​​​
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Perhaps six months of reflection will provide additional insight into this important issue?
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Perhaps six months of reflection will provide additional insight into this important issue?
Indeed....

I was so close to getting there back when it was briefly open, but didn't quite make it... I just looked at my stats (below). I'm sure there are people with even higher numbers who missed it... *sigh*

And then... holy crap, I've spent more than 2 YEARS of my life in these hotels... I must be crazy, right?Your lifetime statistics

Nights: 811

Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 14

Years as Gold or Platinum: 14

Years as Platinum: 12
SPN Lifer, lsquare and rucksack like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I was so close to getting there back when it was briefly open, but didn't quite make it... I just looked at my stats (below). I'm sure there are people with even higher numbers who missed it... *sigh*
Yup. I'm LTP at 878/16/13/13. As I recall (and I don't care to inflict even more emotional damage by looking for the exact details ,) I was less than a year's worth of travel away from LTT at the deadline.

I missed this thread at the time, but the 2nd or 3rd post up that Marriott killed my aspiration (my words) fits me pretty well. My travel patterns lean more toward a driving trip with 2-3 nights in a hotel. I'll never have any meaningful status with the airlines, but PP/Tit with Marriott has always been relatively easy. (My Silver years were from incidental personal and business travel before I took a position that required regular travel.) And, while I make an 'aspirational' (barf) trip every few years, what I really want is the comfort in knowing that I'll be guaranteed a level set of benefits for the rest of my life*, whether business or pleasure. LTPP/LTT *was* my aspiration, not the Royal Grand Pooba Resort of Nowheresville, and that's gone now. Sure, LTP gets me the most necessary of benefits, but I feel a little is lost knowing that I simply can't achieve what I set out to do. Look, I get it, the calendar was not my friend this time. It happens. I have zero doubt that it has happened to other travelers in other programs, but this was 'my thing' with 'my program.' MI doesn't owe me anything, but I feel like I was marginalized a bit. A new LTT level at, say, 1000/15 or 1000/20 would add some purpose back to my travel life.

*Yes, I know that nothing is guaranteed, and one would be a fool to think that even the lifetime tiers won't be devalued sooner or later.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum (Former EXP, CK) 6MM, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium Elite
I really feel for those of you that didn't have or possibly won't have a chance to earn LTT. I was fortunate to have met the requirement prior to the 2018 cut-off with my previous 30 years of extensive travel 7MM lifetime across mostly OneWorld airlines and 150+ nights a year on the road.

Now that we are retired the only 2 (3 sort of) benefits we still enjoy are the LTT and LT Platinum on AA, and the silver on UA with the LTT.

Unfortunately, we really don't travel that much anymore, I used to me able to tell you which seat on each airplane was best and now I really couldn't care less but........... I am appreciative of the lifetime benefits, even though the 2 airline benefits are nice to have but not really exceptional but the LTT at Marriott is very much appreciated when we are not traveling in the RV...... at least I no longer wake up and have to look at the phone on the nightstand to remember which city I'm in

Wishing you all the best in your travels, but don't forget that it will come to an end someday so shoot for any and all lifetime status perks you can attain for the future.

Safe Travels!
EricH, SPN Lifer, engel001 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I got in under the wire....barely accumulated enough LT points to make LTT.

But I'm uttering underwhelmed with Titanium itself - other than the Star Alliance Silver status occasionally comes in handy.

So as long as the United relationship with Marriott exists, I guess I'm happy. Otherwise, the in-hotel treatment seems equally bad for all levels so Titanium is really just some extra bonus points. Big picture is that I'm moving discretionary stays mostly away from all of the big hotel brands in the direction of VRBO type stays. I earn enough points on business trips to cover things like when I need an airport hotel, but there is no joy in staying at Marriotts anymore.
SPN Lifer, imverge, drod and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm uttering underwhelmed with Titanium itself - other than the Star Alliance Silver status occasionally comes in handy.

Otherwise, the in-hotel treatment seems equally bad for all levels so Titanium is really just some extra bonus points. Big picture is that I'm moving discretionary stays mostly away from all of the big hotel brands in the direction of VRBO type stays. I earn enough points on business trips to cover things like when I need an airport hotel, but there is no joy in staying at Marriotts anymore.
Isn't that the truth.

I never even knew that I had LTT until some hotel clerk told me. 95% of my stays have been at local Fairfields, Residence Inns and the ilk.
The few times I have been at a full service Marriott, I notice nothing different about the service delivered to me versus the general public.

Never needed UA status. LT plat there. Too bad Marriott doesn't do DL.

Since Covid came along, the only thing I really wanted out of a hotel stay was breakfast (my main meal of the day), and that has been sorely curtailed by the virus's effects on hotel service

I am actually getting to use one of my 3 free stay coupons at a hotel next month in some small fly-over country burb. First one I was actually able to use on a stay.

IMO, this game is rigged in Marriott's favor but I am the sucker having to play it
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always eagerly check this thread whenever someone posts to it, in hopes that there might be some positive news from Marriott regarding the subject of this thread.

I recognize, of course, that the chances are minuscule. Yet there is always the (very slight) chance that through periodic repetition of this request, Marriott might come to its senses.

I am on the cusp of lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Platinum Elite status (in January 2023, presuming they don't increase the requirements before then ) and have already shifted our family's credit card and hotel spend to my wife's account so she can join me in 7 years.

If earning lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite status is not reinstated by then, I will shift my sights to lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond status and the Hilton Aspire AmEx card.
chix, qlaval and kauppias like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Reviewing the "Lifetime Titanium status"

Lifetime Titanium status

I just checked my account, as well as the Lifetime status rules, and saw that I had twice the number of required years as a Platinum member and more than twice the number of nights required for that status.

"Does Marriott have Lifetime Titanium status? Yes, but only for those elites who were grandfathered into the program when Marriott and Starwood merged in 2018. If you had 750 elite nights and 10 years as a Platinum member with either Starwood or Marriott, you received Lifetime Titanium Elite status."

Any plan to come up with a new status, Mr. Marriott or Mr. Bonvoy?

"Announcing the Rhodium Lifetime status for Bonvoy members that have had at least 20 years the Platinum status and 1,500 elite nights recorded in their account".

Suggestions for additional benefits, for that "upcoming" status, are welcome.

PS: not sure that this post belongs to this "Will Marriott reopen the Lifetime Titanium status", but that it is where it was forwarded.
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by UASPG; Jun 19, 2022 at 6:44 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by UASPG
Lifetime Titanium status

I just checked my account, as well as the Lifetime status rules, and saw that I had twice the number of required years as a Platinum member and more than twice the number of nights required for that status.

"Does Marriott have Lifetime Titanium status? Yes, but only for those elites who were grandfathered into the program when Marriott and Starwood merged in 2018. If you had 750 elite nights and 10 years as a Platinum member with either Starwood or Marriott, you received Lifetime Titanium Elite status."

Any plan to come up with a new status, Mr. Marriott or Mr. Bonvoy?

"Announcing the Rhodium Lifetime status for Bonvoy members that have had at least 20 years the Platinum status and 1,500 elite nights recorded in their account".

Suggestions for additional benefits, for that "upcoming" status, are welcome.

PS: not sure that this post belongs to this "Will Marriott reopen the Lifetime Titanium status", but that it is where it was forwarded.
If Marriott did ever decide that they wanted to offer better than lifetime-platinum to members who achieve a high threshold post-2018, why wouldn't they just re-open lifetime-titanium qualification? What would be the benefit to Marriott of instead inventing a whole new metal level, especially if that can't be achieved on an annual basis?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I always eagerly check this thread whenever someone posts to it, in hopes that there might be some positive news from Marriott regarding the subject of this thread.

I recognize, of course, that the chances are minuscule. Yet there is always the (very slight) chance that through periodic repetition of this request, Marriott might come to its senses.

I am on the cusp of lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Platinum Elite status (in January 2023, presuming they don't increase the requirements before then ) and have already shifted our family's credit card and hotel spend to my wife's account so she can join me in 7 years.

If earning lifetime Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite status is not reinstated by then, I will shift my sights to lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond status and the Hilton Aspire AmEx card.
Frankly, there is not much, if any, difference between Platinum and Titanium. About a third of the time, they refer to my status as Platinum when I check in.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Frankly, there is not much, if any, difference between Platinum and Titanium. About a third of the time, they refer to my status as Platinum when I check in.
The main benefit unique to Titanium AFAIK, at least for those based in the USA, is the ability to get United Airlines Silver Premier status for free.

I'm not aware of any significant difference in benefits at hotels for Titanium relative to Platinum.
SPN Lifer and ExArkie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.